Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Not really sure if this warrants a post or not. I am more peeved than anything, but also concerned.

So, I own my home and my neighbor to the left has been absent for much of our state's Covid-19 shutdown (which has been going since March). He is a single parent and I assume he went to stay at his parent's, but am not sure as my wife and I never really talked to him. He has been our neighbor for about 4 years.

We were friends with the old owner, a guy in the Navy. He did a bunch of renovations, new insulation in the attic, new windows, door, flooring, and so on. He also had one of his Navy buddies as a roommate and for the last year he owned the home he moved out and was looking for a second person to rent, which he had advertised for on Zillow.

Two weeks ago I saw a moving van in front of the home and then a few days later a for sale sign went up. I checked Zillow, and there it is. Here is the thing, this guy's Zillow add is close to what the Navy guy had listed when he sold the home. It's not word-for-word but he mentions all the updates that were done by the previous owner as though he had had them done. This also makes the updates sound newer than they are.

The ad also mentions that the property has been good as a rental property, which, unless the guy who has been living there is the renter, is another flat-out lie. As far as my wife and I can tell, no one else has lived in that home other than him and his kid. While some of our neighbors are renters, some good and some bad, I fear this is the angle he is trying to take to entice a sale.

The good news is that there is a pending sale on his place at the high end of its value. Historically, our home has always been appraised more than his property as we have amenities that his property doesn't, so I am hopeful that if the sale goes through it will help to raise the value of my own home.

I'm glad the guy is gone. I was tired of him and his buddies partying in his backyard --which shares a fence with my back yard-- into 2 or 3 AM, smoking cigs and marijuana and flicking cigarette butts into my yard. I should be relieved but for some reason I am not. Nothing I can do I suppose. His ad just ticks me off. It just seems that more and more neighbors are renting to problem tenants and I am worried this might be the case yet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 02:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Nothing false about the listing as you describe it. If he listed dates of upgrades, yes, but it doesn't sound like he did. Just be happy the neighbor you don't like is gone.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:46 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
So let me get this straight...a neighbor (or his tenant) who annoyed you is gone, the house was listed for sale, it sold for a high price (good for market values), and you're "concerned"?

Old 12-29-2020, 02:55 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Never forget that Zillow gets its data second hand and not directly from the source (MLS for example). Since it isn't your house, you don't need to worry about it and nobody you need to contact to dispute what information is showing on ZIllow. Just let it be and move on with your life.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:57 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Yeah, I don't think there's much you can do. Warning a prospective buyer doesn't get rid of your current owner any earlier. In fact, that could be problematic for you. The buyers agent won't be happy either. This could open up a can of worms you just don't need. Good luck, and hope for the best.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Zillow is worth what you pay for it

Old 12-29-2020, 06:08 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
I would say this falls under myob.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Not really sure if this warrants a post or not. I am more peeved than anything, but also concerned.

So, I own my home and my neighbor to the left has been absent for much of our state's Covid-19 shutdown (which has been going since March). He is a single parent and I assume he went to stay at his parent's, but am not sure as my wife and I never really talked to him. He has been our neighbor for about 4 years.

We were friends with the old owner, a guy in the Navy. He did a bunch of renovations, new insulation in the attic, new windows, door, flooring, and so on. He also had one of his Navy buddies as a roommate and for the last year he owned the home he moved out and was looking for a second person to rent, which he had advertised for on Zillow.

Two weeks ago I saw a moving van in front of the home and then a few days later a for sale sign went up. I checked Zillow, and there it is. Here is the thing, this guy's Zillow add is close to what the Navy guy had listed when he sold the home. It's not word-for-word but he mentions all the updates that were done by the previous owner as though he had had them done. This also makes the updates sound newer than they are.

The ad also mentions that the property has been good as a rental property, which, unless the guy who has been living there is the renter, is another flat-out lie. As far as my wife and I can tell, no one else has lived in that home other than him and his kid. While some of our neighbors are renters, some good and some bad, I fear this is the angle he is trying to take to entice a sale.

The good news is that there is a pending sale on his place at the high end of its value. Historically, our home has always been appraised more than his property as we have amenities that his property doesn't, so I am hopeful that if the sale goes through it will help to raise the value of my own home.

I'm glad the guy is gone. I was tired of him and his buddies partying in his backyard --which shares a fence with my back yard-- into 2 or 3 AM, smoking cigs and marijuana and flicking cigarette butts into my yard. I should be relieved but for some reason I am not. Nothing I can do I suppose. His ad just ticks me off. It just seems that more and more neighbors are renting to problem tenants and I am worried this might be the case yet again.
Who cares. The updates are updates new or previous. Stating a property is good for a rental doesn’t mean it’s a rental. It simply states it’s a good property for a investor to use as a rental.
Truthfully when I sell a home...I sell a home. What it was previously used as is inconsequential to the price or the property.
When I list my rentals they were upgraded or updated and while it may not be very recent it’s upgraded from the original. As far as stating the property is good as a rental I will definitely state that.
I don’t really care who buys the property as long as they have the money and can do a painless sale who moves in makes absolutely not one bit of difference. Because once you buy it you can burn it down for all I care.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Because he's not living there I am guessing he has an agent. Sometimes agents will read and reuse the description in an old listing. It's lazy, but it happens. It sounds like what happened here. Given the guy hasn't lived there for most of the year, he probably didn't do much in the three years he did live there full-time. Windows, doors, etc. are not suddenly NOT updates because a different person owns the house.

Nothing false about the ad.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:50 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Nothing false about the listing as you describe it. If he listed dates of upgrades, yes, but it doesn't sound like he did. Just be happy the neighbor you don't like is gone.
I agree. And when you have to use the caveat "unless" something when claiming that something is a lie, that is proof positive that (at least in that case) it isn't a lie. The property was used as a rental property as the old owner had a renter/roommate.

And upgrades were done. As you write, unless the current owner actually misleads as to who did the repairs by using false dates to make it seem that the repairs were actually done after they were, this doesn't seem false either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate