Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:24 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It seems obvious that you should move back in with your parents for what will just be a few months if your house sells as planned. Being used to living in a house all by yourself isn't sufficient reason to a) pay rent when you presumably don't have to, b) pay moving fees twice, and c) get locked into a potentially expensive year-long lease obligation. I'm curious why, if you live all by yourself, you can't keep a house clean enough to show???
I’ll have to pay moving fees twice whether I move in with my parents or not. I want to sell a vacant house. Not a house with my stuff in it. The listing for my neighbors’ house which is currently under contract shows pictures of a vacant house, and I want to do the same. I have a cat and I’m not going to move him and his things out of the house every time it needs to be shown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 01:31 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
One recommendation: don't list your house until after the new year begins. Few people will be looking for a house in late December. When they start looking in January your house will show up as having been listed for awhile. If it's a fast moving market, people will wonder what's wrong with it and why it's still available.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One recommendation: don't list your house until after the new year begins. Few people will be looking for a house in late December. When they start looking in January your house will show up as having been listed for awhile. If it's a fast moving market, people will wonder what's wrong with it and why it's still available.
Thanks for the tip! That makes sense. I still have quite a few things to do before I list it, so January would probably be best.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:16 PM

10,301 posts, read 6,832,149 times
What area/city is the property in? (This may tell us if you're in a hot or cold market.)

Why the rush to move? (Something happen to you?)

There are people that will buy your property for cash, in 30 minutes. (Just don't expect top dollar.)

If your house smells/stinks like a cat's butt, then you'll have to do something about that. Sometimes it can get expensive. Like new carpeting. Otherwise, you may have to burn it down. (That's sarc, folks!)

If your market is warm/hot, you might sell it a lot faster than you think. Some sellers find themselves "renting back their old home" because they can't find anything...RE agents have no problem selling your home out from underneath you.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
What area/city is the property in? (This may tell us if you're in a hot or cold market.)

Why the rush to move? (Something happen to you?)

There are people that will buy your property for cash, in 30 minutes. (Just don't expect top dollar.)

If your house smells/stinks like a cat's butt, then you'll have to do something about that. Sometimes it can get expensive. Like new carpeting. Otherwise, you may have to burn it down. (That's sarc, folks!)

If your market is warm/hot, you might sell it a lot faster than you think. Some sellers find themselves "renting back their old home" because they can't find anything...RE agents have no problem selling your home out from underneath you.
I look at listings all the time, so I’d guess the market is at least warm in my area based on recent sales. Yes, something did happen recently that made me decide to move. Let’s just say that I have the kind of neighbors that make people flee neighborhoods, so I am moving to a nicer area. I plan to have my house professionally cleaned when I move out, so I don’t think potential buyers will notice any lingering cat smells. I’m more worried about the smells from my next door neighbor’s house wafting in during showings. I don’t know if it’s marijuana or what, but it stinks. I don’t need to sell my house in 30 minutes, but preferably within 45 days after listing it.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:44 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
If you move in with your parents rent a storage unit to put most of your stuff in that you won't need til you get your new place. We are going thru this with one of my children right now (sold their Condo and waiting for new house to be finished) They brought the computers they needed for work and their TV. Everything else went in storage. Makes things a lot easier.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:46 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie90 View Post
I look at listings all the time, so I’d guess the market is at least warm in my area based on recent sales. Yes, something did happen recently that made me decide to move. Let’s just say that I have the kind of neighbors that make people flee neighborhoods, so I am moving to a nicer area. I plan to have my house professionally cleaned when I move out, so I don’t think potential buyers will notice any lingering cat smells. I’m more worried about the smells from my next door neighbor’s house wafting in during showings. I don’t know if it’s marijuana or what, but it stinks. I don’t need to sell my house in 30 minutes, but preferably within 45 days after listing it.
If you have "those neighbors" -- next door? -- good luck. I had to practically give away my beautiful house because of "those neighbors" on a shared driveway.

The professional cleaning upon moving out is a good idea if you have a cat.

Who are these people who will buy a house in 30 minutes???

Old 12-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
If you move in with your parents rent a storage unit to put most of your stuff in that you won't need til you get your new place. We are going thru this with one of my children right now (sold their Condo and waiting for new house to be finished) They brought the computers they needed for work and their TV. Everything else went in storage. Makes things a lot easier.
I know that a storage unit is an option, but I’d prefer to have all of my things with me. I don’t have a ton of stuff and I’ll be throwing out a lot of stuff that I no longer want, so I think that I can manage without using storage, but I’ll keep that in mind.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you have "those neighbors" -- next door? -- good luck. I had to practically give away my beautiful house because of "those neighbors" on a shared driveway.

The professional cleaning upon moving out is a good idea if you have a cat.

Who are these people who will buy a house in 30 minutes???
Yes, the neighbors next door are annoying, inconsiderate, and smelly but the neighbors across the street are the ones that are REALLY motivating me to move. The neighborhood and my house will appear perfectly fine as long as the potential buyers never encounter the problematic neighbors before making their decision. lol There are currently still plenty of nice neighbors on my street, but they might be moving out soon too.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelie90 View Post
Yes, the neighbors next door are annoying, inconsiderate, and smelly but the neighbors across the street are the ones that are REALLY motivating me to move. The neighborhood and my house will appear perfectly fine as long as the potential buyers never encounter the problematic neighbors before making their decision. lol There are currently still plenty of nice neighbors on my street, but they might be moving out soon too.
A wise buyer will stake out the neighborhood at all hours of the day/night/on weekends to get a feel for it.

But maybe you'll get a less-than-wise (or long-distance) buyer!

This happens to many formerly nice neighborhoods (are these rentals?); it's a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate