Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 12:09 PM

70 posts, read 102,590 times

Advertisements

Hello! I recently sold my townhome. After 10 days of closing, my real estate agent texted me saying he gave my phone number to the buyer in case the buyer had any questions and needed to talk to me.

I was wondering if this is normal for the agent to give the buyer the seller's phone number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 12:16 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
He should have asked your permission before giving the buyer your number. That was irresponsible of him and a breach of your privacy.

I recently sold a house and would be happy to answer any questions the buyers had. If they ask me for my number, I will give it to them. I just know that there are things in the house they will never figure out.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:21 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I agree that the agent had no right to give out your number, without permission. I would be unhappy about that.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:24 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonuser View Post
Hello! I recently sold my townhome. After 10 days of closing, my real estate agent texted me saying he gave my phone number to the buyer in case the buyer had any questions and needed to talk to me.

I was wondering if this is normal for the agent to give the buyer the seller's phone number?
Sounds abnormal to me. I wasn’t given the seller’s phone number after I bought my house, and I don’t want my number to be given out when I sell my house.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:38 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:

Not normal and I think inappropriate.

In the event that you do get a call you will need to be careful what you say. I would limit responses to things like "where the switch is" and "what service person did I use for X".

Maybe not even the second as it might imply an endorsement.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:22 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
As an agent, I would never give a ph# out of a client. Totally inappropriate.
Most buyers experience a little buyers remorse, when the mortgage pmt is due, or they have something break or need maintenance. You don't want the buyer calling you to complain, say they didn't know they had to do that, or neieghbors are jerks, or that inspector mussed a defect and it wasn't disclosed.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:20 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
As an agent, I would never give a ph# out of a client. Totally inappropriate.
Most buyers experience a little buyers remorse, when the mortgage pmt is due, or they have something break or need maintenance. You don't want the buyer calling you to complain, say they didn't know they had to do that, or neieghbors are jerks, or that inspector mussed a defect and it wasn't disclosed.
Yes, very strange.

OP, is your agent possibly trying to play matchmaker between you and the buyer? Otherwise, they set you up to be nagged!

Old 12-02-2020, 04:30 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:

He did what? I would not be ok with this. He should have ASKED you if you were ok with him sharing your contact information. I wouldn't want to talk to a buyer after the closing. The transaction is over.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:35 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
It definitely happens. As the listing agent, it's not something I would typically suggest my client do but some of them have left a note for the buyer after they move out that has their number on it in case there are questions about the house. I have one client that moved to MA from NY a couple years ago and she gave her number to the folks that bought her house and they call her regularly. I don't think she realized what she was getting into when she did that!

Regardless, your agent should not be giving out your contact information without your permission.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,912 times
Not normal and very unprofessional, IMHO. If anything your agent should've asked you first if it was okay to provide your number to the buyer.

I would never give a friends number to someone else, unless I have that friend's permission to give it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate