Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 07:08 PM

5,513 posts, read 9,505,094 times

Advertisements

1. 1700 s.f.

2. I own the house outright.

3. Just me.

4. 4 bedrooms.

5. - First floor, counterclockwise from the front door: The foyer is used for accessing the living room and dining room, and for vertical circulation. The living room is for living. The back parlor is used for displaying plants, and as a hallway between the living room and dining room/kitchen. The dining room is for storing a dining room table and some dishes in the built-in. Behind these four square-ish rooms, the kitchen is used for cooking food.
- Second floor: One bedroom is used for sleeping. One bedroom is used as an office. And two bedrooms are used for storage.

What other people thought about my house never crossed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 01:26 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,028,091 times
Studio, less than 300 square feet.

Just me. I've had tough times, but I've never had "roommates in a microstudio" tough times.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:02 AM

95 posts, read 101,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am curious to see how other people live in terms of their household size, house size by square footage and number of bedrooms. Some of my friends have made me self conscious to be single and living in a nearly 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms. With that said, I want to ask you the following questions:

1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like. 3000 sq ft on 1/2 acre. We have four bedrooms and three baths.

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant? Homeowner.

3. How many people live there? Currently four but we once had six.

4. How many bedrooms? Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom? Four bedrooms with two masters. My wife and I share.

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for? I use the spare bedroom as an exercise space and storage for most of my clothing. We use the den for TV watching and our hobbies. The living room is never used except by our pets though we do eat most of our meals in the formal dining room.
I think some of the OP's 'friends' are jealous.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:08 AM

10,337 posts, read 6,881,705 times
In a van, down by the river..."

Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
We fell in love with this 1911 wreck of a Foursquare with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a finished basement and a walk up attic. It needed love on every square inch. It's about 1800-2,000 square feet of demanding maintenance. The house owns us, but we love her.

We have a guest bedroom that was frequently used by giggly girls for years of weekend sleep overs off of the dining room. We had to rip open the bedroom wall and restore the pocket door. Some one put it on hinges. We were fortunate to have all of the trim pieces and one of the door hardware. We had one made. We found the lock at a salvage place and the key for the pocket doors in the living room works with it. It's now used by our friends and their little one for all of the holiday sleep overs. (pre pandemic)
One bedroom upstairs is our closet room. It has a big antique closet from a clothing store dated from the 1900's All of our clothes are there. The back bedroom is John's man cave. He has his computer there and one of the antique phonographs. It has this quirky little door that goes out on the roof over the kitchen. I love the tiny window in the closet. We have one just like it in our tiny closet in our bedroom, but that's where you walk up to the attic. There's just a dresser in it. They both open and are original to the house as are all of our windows with flow glass in all of them.

The dining room has the original built in oak cabinet, a leaded glass window, and the pillars dividing the living room from the dining room. The living room has pocket doors that we close in the winter. There is a leaded window over the picture window and one in the foyer, as well as two in the attic. All of the wood work in the house has never been painted.

The basement is finished with Arts and Crafts oak paneling and has our home theater. There is an antique dining room set down there used for game night when the shorties would sleep over. They're all grown now and I miss those days, but I have our friends 8 year old and our neighbors 9 year old that spend the night now. The parents of the 8 year old sleep in the guest room and I make a bed for the girls upstairs in the middle bedroom. We had such a fun Easter in 2019 and News Year Eve with them spending the night.

I saved the best for last and that's the walk up attic. It's my favorite room in the house. I love going up there and watching the storms come in. I used to decorate it for Halloween and it was the highlight of the Halloween party when the kids were young. There was always a spooky surprise up there and many kids from the neighborhood would show up at 8pm for the attic event. I stopped doing it a couple of years ago now. All the kids are grown up. I still love that space and would love to turn it into a place to do upholstery.

The house is beautiful now, but it took a lot to restore it. It was indeed a labor of love.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:23 AM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We fell in love with this 1911 wreck of a Foursquare with 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a finished basement and a walk up attic. It needed love on every square inch. It's about 1800-2,000 square feet of demanding maintenance. The house owns us, but we love her.

We have a guest bedroom that was frequently used by giggly girls for years of weekend sleep overs off of the dining room. We had to rip open the bedroom wall and restore the pocket door. Some one put it on hinges. We were fortunate to have all of the trim pieces and one of the door hardware. We had one made. We found the lock at a salvage place and the key for the pocket doors in the living room works with it. It's now used by our friends and their little one for all of the holiday sleep overs. (pre pandemic)
One bedroom upstairs is our closet room. It has a big antique closet from a clothing store dated from the 1900's All of our clothes are there. The back bedroom is John's man cave. He has his computer there and one of the antique phonographs. It has this quirky little door that goes out on the roof over the kitchen. I love the tiny window in the closet. We have one just like it in our tiny closet in our bedroom, but that's where you walk up to the attic. There's just a dresser in it. They both open and are original to the house as are all of our windows with flow glass in all of them.

The dining room has the original built in oak cabinet, a leaded glass window, and the pillars dividing the living room from the dining room. The living room has pocket doors that we close in the winter. There is a leaded window over the picture window and one in the foyer, as well as two in the attic. All of the wood work in the house has never been painted.

The basement is finished with Arts and Crafts oak paneling and has our home theater. There is an antique dining room set down there used for game night when the shorties would sleep over. They're all grown now and I miss those days, but I have our friends 8 year old and our neighbors 9 year old that spend the night now. The parents of the 8 year old sleep in the guest room and I make a bed for the girls upstairs in the middle bedroom. We had such a fun Easter in 2019 and News Year Eve with them spending the night.

I saved the best for last and that's the walk up attic. It's my favorite room in the house. I love going up there and watching the storms come in. I used to decorate it for Halloween and it was the highlight of the Halloween party when the kids were young. There was always a spooky surprise up there and many kids from the neighborhood would show up at 8pm for the attic event. I stopped doing it a couple of years ago now. All the kids are grown up. I still love that space and would love to turn it into a place to do upholstery.

The house is beautiful now, but it took a lot to restore it. It was indeed a labor of love.
Your house sounds lovely. I miss my 1927 bungalow so much that I don't even drive by it any more when I'm down in the county for garden club meetings.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,971,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Your house sounds lovely. I miss my 1927 bungalow so much that I don't even drive by it any more when I'm down in the county for garden club meetings.
Then why did you sell it???

Old 12-05-2020, 11:46 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,202,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. This is my first house so it's nice to hear about everyone else's living arrangements and how I compare.

I have wondered if houses are built specifically for a certain number of people, depending on the square footage or number of bedrooms or whatever.

For example, my house has 3 bedrooms. Does that mean it was designed to have 4 people living in it (2 people in the master bedroom, 1 person in one bedroom, 1 person in the other bedroom)? Therefore, a single person shouldn't be living in my house alone (ideally)?
We have 2 people 4 bathrooms, 4 bedrooms...3035 sq ft. I think it’s perfect for 2 and our dog babies. One bathroom is theirs for their food, water dishes. Don’t over think it enjoy your home.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,227,296 times
Two people. We have a 1300 sq ft house, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths plus an upstairs loft where one of our kitties live, plus we have a converted 300 sq foot garage with a freezer room and a music room, double insulated walls. I can turn up my electric guitar and amp and jam out to my hearts content, plus a green house. We like it.

Last edited by Willamette City; 12-05-2020 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 01:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,912,326 times
Two people, 1800 sf 93 y.o. house. Seven rooms, three bedrooms.

Upstairs has a foyer, living room used daily for reading, listening to music and happy hours, small formal dining room now used as a Zoom/Teams office, eat in kitchen with a small TV to watch sports while cooking and two bedrooms/ two bathrooms- sometimes we sleep together, sometimes we take an individual room. The master bedroom has a sweet deck off the back.

Downstairs in the walkout level is a suite of rooms: a den with the TV and another fireplace, wet bar and fridge with French doors out to the terraced gardens and a small guest room/office with all built-in furniture meant to evoke a ship’s cabin and an en-suite bathroom. That floor works great for guests as you can close it off from the upstairs and let them have a B&B-like experience with a kitchenette.

Feels like the perfect size for us, we can hang out or get away and do our own thing without having too large of a house to maintain and I could see a caretaker situation in the lower level if it ever gets to that in the future.

Last edited by T. Damon; 12-05-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate