Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 02:28 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Please stop with this. You already had a thread about this. If it bothers you that much ASK THEM TO STOP. These are friends right? But you probably don't want to do that because you know it will sound silly. Honestly at this point your posts are starting to sound humble braggy.
This is all you need to know OP. Sorry, not sorry. We can't solve your personal problems for you. Life is made up of choices and living with the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like. 3,000 sf, lot is 12,000sf

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant? owner

3. How many people live there? 3

4. How many bedrooms? 4-6 (4, but den and bonus room have windows and a closet) Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom? No

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for? Den is used as a sewing room, bonus room is my studio/shop, daughter in one bedroom, other two are guest rooms, mostly empty. Dining room used for holiday meals, and now my wife's office. Living room rarely used, has our exercise bike in it, family room has largest TV, stereo, sofa and recliners, and is our most used space. There used to be 5 of us but two kids are out on their own now. My advice is to always buy the biggest home you can afford, you will grow into it over time. Until I was 10, there were 5 of us kids in 2 bedrooms, and only 1 bath.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:25 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like. 1,042 square feet, which includes about 150 square feet of balcony. Because my place is in Hawaii where it's always warm and I do use the balcony area (I'm on the 14th floor and have a couch and hammock out there and do sleep outdoors occasionally), I think it's appropriate to include balcony space.

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant? I own.

3. How many people live there? Just me (note, I am currently living on the mainland but plan to return to Hawaii in 2022).

4. How many bedrooms? Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom? 2 bedrooms, one bathroom.

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for? I have an open concept living room/kitchen area, a large storage room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. The second bedroom just sits empty unless I have guests over.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:42 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Some of my friends have made me self conscious to be single and living in a nearly 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms.
Better get some therapy for that insecurity of yours.

1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like.

1402sf

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant?

Owner

3. How many people live there?

Two. Me and my dog. Yeah, he's people too.

4. How many bedrooms?

Three.

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for?

Master bedroom, guest room, exercise/library room. Office in the family room separate from living room.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
I am curious to see how other people live in terms of their household size, house size by square footage and number of bedrooms. Some of my friends have made me self conscious to be single and living in a nearly 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms. With that said, I want to ask you the following questions:

1. How much square feet is your home? Only include finished, heated areas. Do not include garages, basements, attics, porches or attached sheds or anything of the like.

4. How many bedrooms? Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom?

1: 3300
2: Own
3: 3
4: 5. Hubby and I in the master, dd in her own room
5: House has in total 9 rooms excluding bathrooms (3 of them). Of the 5 bedrooms, 3 are being used as bedrooms - master, guest, dd. One bedroom is hubby's recording studio. The other is an exercise room. What's left is the laundry room, the den, the great room (living/kitchen/dining), and the bonus room which is 20x26. The bonus room half is a home theater and half is hubby's desk space.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:46 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
1. How many square feet is your home? 1300

2. Are you the homeowner or a tenant? Owner

3. How many people live there? Five

4. How many bedrooms? Three or four, depending on whether you count the room we built into the garage or not.

Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom? Yes, my husband and I

5. What purpose is each room in the house used for? We have three (four) bedrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. That's it! We exercise outdoors, the laundry is in the garage, and my "office" is in the master bedroom.

I live in (near-)coastal Southern California where houses tend to be small. Some years ago the church I was attending called a pastor from South Carolina. Part of the compensation package was housing, but the new pastor told us he and his wife (they were empty-nesters) didn't need much, "Just a starter home...2000 square feet or so, with four bedrooms, because I need an office and she needs her sewing room, plus a guest room for our kids to come visit...nothing large or special." Oh, how we laughed.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Please stop with this. You already had a thread about this. If it bothers you that much ASK THEM TO STOP. These are friends right? But you probably don't want to do that because you know it will sound silly. Honestly at this point your posts are starting to sound humble braggy.
This is the same poster that cries all the time on the Florida forum how it is not as great as Connecticut where he moved from is, and how horrible Florida is. No amount of "why not move back to CT" does any good.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
Quote:
I am curious to see how other people live in terms of their household size, house size by square footage and number of bedrooms. Some of my friends have made me self conscious to be single and living in a nearly 1800 square foot house with 3 bedrooms. With that said, I want to ask you the following questions:

4. How many bedrooms? Does more than one person sleep in any bedroom?

My house is 3035 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 4 baths , we own , there are only 2 of us. We sleep in the master. One bedroom is my den, exercise room, another bedroom my husbands den, last bedroom is a guest room. We have a large kitchen , big livingroom, diningroom, laundry room, and a family room upstairs my husband uses when he watches sports, and guests use to watch TV. Our house feels perfect for us we have no intention of downsizing.

We also have an interior courtyard with a wood fireplace .

Old 12-03-2020, 07:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses. This is my first house so it's nice to hear about everyone else's living arrangements and how I compare.

I have wondered if houses are built specifically for a certain number of people, depending on the square footage or number of bedrooms or whatever.

For example, my house has 3 bedrooms. Does that mean it was designed to have 4 people living in it (2 people in the master bedroom, 1 person in one bedroom, 1 person in the other bedroom)? Therefore, a single person shouldn't be living in my house alone (ideally)?

Old 12-03-2020, 07:31 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
For example, my house has 3 bedrooms. Does that mean it was designed to have 4 people living in it (2 people in the master bedroom, 1 person in one bedroom, 1 person in the other bedroom)? Therefore, a single person shouldn't be living in my house alone (ideally)?
Personally I think more of the number of bathrooms. My house has three (four) bedrooms and three bathrooms, so it's fine for five people. But if it only had one bathroom, life would be, let's just say, difficult. Of course it would be possible--my sister lived with her husband and two sons in a two-bedroom, one-bath house for about 15 years, and they made it work, but it was not ideal.

But of course there is no "shouldn't." You can do whatever you works for you, as long as you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate