Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 06:26 AM

286 posts, read 211,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Interest rates are at historic lows. Florida has no state income tax so it’s high odds that the homestead property tax cap currently at 1.9% isn’t sustainable. If interest rates go up and property taxes go up, property prices tumble in any market where real estate isn’t scarce. A condo in Miami isn’t scarce. Insurance also keeps going up. Another impact on prices.
Scarcity is a relative thing. Today you have 1000 buyers and 10000 condos for sale and you think there are plenty condos around to satisfy buyers for the next 10 years. But what if tomorrow 20,000 buyers arrive?
Or 200,000 buyers?
I believe that current work from home thing is going to take hold. Which means millions of people will be free to move to another state. So in the past only retirees could move to Florida and now you add working people can do the same. And many of them would want to live in a warm state with access to an ocean 12 months a year. There are not many places like this in the USA where you can swim in the ocean all year round.
Only South FL comes to mind.
So that current condo glut of 10,000 properties (or whatever the number is) is nothing comparing to the number of people who might be coming in the next several years.

Maybe that influx of people will bring more tax revenues to the state so they won't have to raise taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 10:44 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banbuk77 View Post
I am looking to buy a condo apartment in Miami area.
The prices are down somewhat in the past several years but I am reading articles that predict another crash.

Of course, anything can happen but it seems to me the prices currently are way down since the top if we consider the mortgage rates went down.

So I compared mortgage payments today vs the 2006 (high of the bubble) and 2010-11 (the bottom) in Miami area. I am taking historical sales prices for condos similar to the one I am looking to buy so I pretty much know what that particular apartment was valued in the past years.

Year - Price - Rate Payment Adjusted
2006 - 480K - 6.4% 3,000 3600
2011 - 200K - 5% 1,100 1300
2016 - 450K - 4% 2,150 2300
2020 - 400K - 2.7% 1,600 1600

So the same apartment that is currently requires $1600 monthly mortgage payment required $3000 in monthly payments in 2006. And at the bottom in 2011 the buyer would only pay $1100.

Including inflation, the $1100 in 2011 dollars would be approximately $1300 right now. (Bottom)
Including inflation, the $3000 in 2006 dollars would be approximately $3600 right now (Top)

Can we say the current prices if judging in mortgage payments ($1600) are pretty much close to the prices at the bottom of the previous cycle (adjusted $1300) and down 60% from the top (adjusted $3500)?

And if we assume that the crash in 2010-12 was very bad, can we say that buying right now is pretty much a safe bet?
Thanks.
You looking for a home or an investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Interest rates are at historic lows. Florida has no state income tax so it’s high odds that the homestead property tax cap currently at 1.9% isn’t sustainable. If interest rates go up and property taxes go up, property prices tumble in any market where real estate isn’t scarce. A condo in Miami isn’t scarce. Insurance also keeps going up. Another impact on prices.
Good god, not this BS again; you from the northeast or something? because only those from up there always talking like this, the decade after decade of "doom and gloom" regarding Florida and its taxes, yet they (those from the NE) are living in fiscal basket cases.

Quote:
I thought that FL property taxes are based on the current estimate not on the purchase price. So if the value of the property goes up - the taxes go up as well regardless of how much you paid for it.
Am I wrong?
Correct, based on current assessment.

Quote:
Scarcity is a relative thing. Today you have 1000 buyers and 10000 condos for sale and you think there are plenty condos around to satisfy buyers for the next 10 years. But what if tomorrow 20,000 buyers arrive?
Or 200,000 buyers?
I believe that current work from home thing is going to take hold. Which means millions of people will be free to move to another state. So in the past only retirees could move to Florida and now you add working people can do the same. And many of them would want to live in a warm state with access to an ocean 12 months a year. There are not many places like this in the USA where you can swim in the ocean all year round.
Only South FL comes to mind.
So that current condo glut of 10,000 properties (or whatever the number is) is nothing comparing to the number of people who might be coming in the next several years.

Maybe that influx of people will bring more tax revenues to the state so they won't have to raise taxes.
There should be an excess of condos in Miami, they been building them like crazy over the last 10 years. I would be very surprise if there was still a supply constraint after all the building they been doing. They been purposely building to up the inventory because demand has been high.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:15 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Rates are low, prices are high. Long shot odds of nailing both a low rate and a low price.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Real estate has two values: the flipper value and the real value. The flipper value will change depending on market conditions. The real value never changes - it's always a place to sleep and keep your stuff. The people who got burned in 2008 either lost their jobs and were foreclosed, or freaked out and sold at the bottom. There was even "jingle mail," where people mailed keys to the bank and walked, because on paper they were upside down on their mortgage.

If you're a flipper, it's a gamble. Your guess is as good as mine. If you are contracting for a place to live, your mortgage payment locks in your housing cost no matter what inflation does. Condo fees and property taxes can rise, of course. If it meets your housing needs at an affordable price, go for it.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
I am looking to buy a condo apartment in Miami area.
The prices are down somewhat in the past several years but I am reading articles that predict another crash.

Of course, anything can happen but it seems to me the prices currently are way down since the top if we consider the mortgage rates went down.

So I compared mortgage payments today vs the 2006 (high of the bubble) and 2010-11 (the bottom) in Miami area. I am taking historical sales prices for condos similar to the one I am looking to buy so I pretty much know what that particular apartment was valued in the past years.

Year - Price - Rate Payment Adjusted
2006 - 480K - 6.4% 3,000 3600
2011 - 200K - 5% 1,100 1300
2016 - 450K - 4% 2,150 2300
2020 - 400K - 2.7% 1,600 1600

So the same apartment that is currently requires $1600 monthly mortgage payment required $3000 in monthly payments in 2006. And at the bottom in 2011 the buyer would only pay $1100.

Including inflation, the $1100 in 2011 dollars would be approximately $1300 right now. (Bottom)
Including inflation, the $3000 in 2006 dollars would be approximately $3600 right now (Top)

Can we say the current prices if judging in mortgage payments ($1600) are pretty much close to the prices at the bottom of the previous cycle (adjusted $1300) and down 60% from the top (adjusted $3500)?

And if we assume that the crash in 2010-12 was very bad, can we say that buying right now is pretty much a safe bet?
Thanks.
The mortgage is only a small part.

A Miami condo for $400K as a 2/2 will have close to a $1000 a month for the HOA. Your taxes as a second home will be $600 a month. So you can add an additional $1600 a month on to the price.

The newer the building, the higher the HOA.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Real estate has two values: the flipper value and the real value. The flipper value will change depending on market conditions. The real value never changes - it's always a place to sleep and keep your stuff. The people who got burned in 2008 either lost their jobs and were foreclosed, or freaked out and sold at the bottom. There was even "jingle mail," where people mailed keys to the bank and walked, because on paper they were upside down on their mortgage.

If you're a flipper, it's a gamble. Your guess is as good as mine. If you are contracting for a place to live, your mortgage payment locks in your housing cost no matter what inflation does. Condo fees and property taxes can rise, of course. If it meets your housing needs at an affordable price, go for it.
It would a place to live, but since I am still working - anything can happen and who knows maybe I will be forced to move to another state in search for a job. In which case, I don't want to be upside down on a mortgage if the prices went down (assuming the rates are the same) or if I have to rent it - the rent won't cover the mortgage payments.

I don't get this idea that if you are buying something for yourself - you shouldn't care for the price as long as you can afford it. I can afford $100K car but that doesn't mean I should buy a car that is currently worth $50K.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Rates are low, prices are high. Long shot odds of nailing both a low rate and a low price.
That is true when everything else is being equal.
What I am afraid might happen is inflation becomes visible and rates start inching up and people might start chasing hard assets. So rates will be going up and prices will be going up.
And Miami situation is unique since a lot of foreigners are buying there and with inflation dollar would go down and making Miami RE more affordable for the foreigners.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:28 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
I thought that FL property taxes are based on the current estimate not on the purchase price. So if the value of the property goes up - the taxes go up as well regardless of how much you paid for it.
Am I wrong?
No, that's not quite correct. When you purchase your condo, your property taxes will be set at that time. However after that, your taxes can only increase a maximum of 3% annually (currently it is less than 2%) due to something called "Save Our Homes." The Save Our Homes property tax cap is an amendment to the Florida constitution that limits the annual increase in the tax assessment of homestead property to a maximum of 3% of the prior year’s assessment. If the CPI is lower than 3% in any given year, then the max is set at the change in CPI for that year.

Please note that this only pertains to purchases that serve as someone's primary residence. It is not applicable to second or vacation homes.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:19 AM

10,307 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Am I wrong?
For Florida specifically, you are correct.

For the other 49 States (and territories) it may not be so. Other readers may want to research this.

My point was to emphasize the importance of taxes, as we age, and our capability of earning vast amounts of cash, becoming diminished.

Most of my posts are created for the purpose to incite thought. Not just necessarily the OP, but all who read it.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
It would a place to live, but since I am still working - anything can happen and who knows maybe I will be forced to move to another state in search for a job. In which case, I don't want to be upside down on a mortgage if the prices went down (assuming the rates are the same) or if I have to rent it - the rent won't cover the mortgage payments.

I don't get this idea that if you are buying something for yourself - you shouldn't care for the price as long as you can afford it. I can afford $100K car but that doesn't mean I should buy a car that is currently worth $50K.
Have you ever been a landlord? You can amortize the cost of property, and deduct any operating expense, like condo fees. Talk to a tax accountant if you are thinking of converting a home to a rental. You may be surprised at the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate