Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 11:05 PM

492 posts, read 483,231 times

Advertisements

Need some clarification friends: We bought a primary home. We bought it at a high price in a bidding price war situation. Due to some personal reasons we have decided we cannot live there and want to sell it. So we have placed our house on market after 4 months of buying it.
We had a lot of showings and interest but offers were minimal and low ball. One best offer is at above the price we bought the house for but despite that, we will end up losing more than 80 grand on the sale.

Is it a good idea to convert the house to a rental and rent it out and then sell it after a year or couple of years? Am I correct in understanding the IRS rules that loss incurred on sale of rental property (and not primary residence) can be offset against your income?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 11:23 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,347,148 times
Limit is 3000 per year on using losses to offset income from other than capital gains. You can carry the rest forward. I used to lower my offer, when countered with a request for highest and best... seemed to end most of the chicanery. Until I sold, and my realtor suggested I ask for highest and best on a full cash offer, that was by itself. Sheesh.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:53 AM

105,693 posts, read 107,682,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
Need some clarification friends: We bought a primary home. We bought it at a high price in a bidding price war situation. Due to some personal reasons we have decided we cannot live there and want to sell it. So we have placed our house on market after 4 months of buying it.
We had a lot of showings and interest but offers were minimal and low ball. One best offer is at above the price we bought the house for but despite that, we will end up losing more than 80 grand on the sale.

Is it a good idea to convert the house to a rental and rent it out and then sell it after a year or couple of years? Am I correct in understanding the IRS rules that loss incurred on sale of rental property (and not primary residence) can be offset against your income?

what daxhound said is the case , plus if a rental you would need to take depreciation too and then pay the depreciation back when sold .

Old 12-10-2020, 05:01 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Due to some personal reasons we have decided we cannot live there and ...
Reconsider this decision... for at least as long as it takes for the market to catch up with your price.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what daxhound said is the case , plus if a rental you would need to take depreciation too and then pay the depreciation back when sold .
I understand.
This is a above million dollar property in the Capital. I am getting about 50K above the price I bought it for. But if we add closing costs and realtor fees, I will still end up losing 80K if I sell it at that price.
Rental will be around 5.5K
So after depreciation, we will have a lot of loss to show. Can't we accumulate that loss over next 3-4 years and then use it to reduce our tax liability when we sell it?
Also, I do think we can get a better offer on the house in the spring season or later. One of the reasons I was not getting a higher offer was probably because buyers were skeptical why did the property came back on market just 4 months after being sold.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Reconsider this decision... for at least as long as it takes for the market to catch up with your price.
Thanks Mr. Rational.
The decision is taken on that. We have moved on to other house.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:51 PM

13,629 posts, read 12,253,936 times
Quote:
I understand.
This is a above million dollar property in the Capital. I am getting about 50K above the price I bought it for. But if we add closing costs and realtor fees, I will still end up losing 80K if I sell it at that price.
So after depreciation, we will have a lot of loss to show. Can't we accumulate that loss over next 3-4 years and then use it to reduce our tax liability when we sell it?
Also, I do think we can get a better offer on the house in the spring season or later. One of the reasons I was not getting a higher offer was probably because buyers were skeptical why did the property came back on market just 4 months after being sold.
I don't think that's how it works...You depreciate it over the next four years...Let's say for rough numbers the house was purchased for $1 million and you've written off $140K of it...theoretically it's worth $860K. Then you go to sell it, and you get the same $1 million you paid for it...You then have a gain of $140K you owe taxes on unless you put the proceeds into another rental through a 1031.

As it is, your life may be a lot easier and cleaner taking a short term loss...talk to your accountant.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:09 PM

105,693 posts, read 107,682,511 times
Quote:
I understand.
depreciation must be taken yearly .

but it is paid back when you sell at up to a 25% tax rate . it is no bargain . but the laws say you have to take it because you will pay it back whether you took it or not

Old 12-10-2020, 01:28 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,920,510 times
OP, you know you could get tenants who would pay $5,500/month to rent a house? And they would definitely pay every month -- even in this crazy time period?

I wouldn't trust that at all. I'd hate to lose $80k but if you bought a million-dollar house, then left it after 4 months and are already in another house, you can perhaps afford it more than most? (Not being sarcastic -- just thinking I would never take a chance on renters in this environment, especially at that rent.)

Good luck, in any case.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't think that's how it works...You depreciate it over the next four years...Let's say for rough numbers the house was purchased for $1 million and you've written off $140K of it...theoretically it's worth $860K. Then you go to sell it, and you get the same $1 million you paid for it...You then have a gain of $140K you owe taxes on unless you put the proceeds into another rental through a 1031.

As it is, your life may be a lot easier and cleaner taking a short term loss...talk to your accountant.
I agree, but after taking depreciation each year, if I show a rental loss of about 25K each year, after 4 yrs, cant I offset this rental loss against the profit of sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate