Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 12:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times

Advertisements

So many people get 'pre-Approval' letters from their bank that they don't carry much weight. What you want is a "pre-Qualified" letter. The pre-Approval letter says, "Your scores etc., make you a likely candidate for a loan of $$$." The pre-qualified letter says, "We are ready to make you a loan in $$$ amount, as soon as you decide on a property."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 05:26 AM

2,706 posts, read 2,206,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Talk to a mortgage broker.
How would I find a mortgage broker?

Old 12-18-2020, 07:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How would I find a mortgage broker?
Ask your realtor. They have zillions of these guys trying to get their biz. Buyer beware.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:11 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggeri5054 View Post
I bought my house with a lower credit score, FHA, about four years ago. My credit road has been bumpy but i have zero collections and the score is considered fair. We are selling this house to buy or build a bigger one. With the sale, I should have about 50k for a down payment. My question is on a 75k yearly salary, what kind of pre approval can be expected for a “fair” credit score and that down payment. I know it is not exact but, my first pre approval when I made less money was 180k. Now with the market being higher I want to know what I need to do to see around 300k pre approval. Id like to stick with FHA again
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageInFlorida View Post
Op, what state are you in? And what kind of credit score you mean by “fair”?
I wondered that too, so I googled. "Fair" appears to be just one step above "very bad"; it indicates a score of 580-669. Yet the OP wants to build a bigger house so wants a preapproval for 67% more than his last preapproval ($300k compared to $180k).

OP, you might want to get your credit more in order before applying for a new loan, especially since you've only been in your current house for 4 years. Why is your credit so poor? I'm not trying to be rude; it's just that the way you worded it -- e.g., "I have zero collections" -- is odd because MOST people have zero collections. It sounds like you must have quite a few late payments, a high utilization rate, or similar blemishes. These things matter because from what I've been hearing and reading, lenders have tightened up regulations due at least in part to COVID (e.g., when I refinanced my house a few months ago, I had to get a bank-generated COVID-related letter signed by my employer).

Old 04-27-2021, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 5,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I wondered that too, so I googled. "Fair" appears to be just one step above "very bad"; it indicates a score of 580-669. Yet the OP wants to build a bigger house so wants a preapproval for 67% more than his last preapproval ($300k compared to $180k).

OP, you might want to get your credit more in order before applying for a new loan, especially since you've only been in your current house for 4 years. Why is your credit so poor? I'm not trying to be rude; it's just that the way you worded it -- e.g., "I have zero collections" -- is odd because MOST people have zero collections. It sounds like you must have quite a few late payments, a high utilization rate, or similar blemishes. These things matter because from what I've been hearing and reading, lenders have tightened up regulations due at least in part to COVID (e.g., when I refinanced my house a few months ago, I had to get a bank-generated COVID-related letter signed by my employer).
sorry its been a while, credit was fixed. As I looked further into it, the Department of Education relisted all my old paid loans as active with the balance owed, since I had already paid them I did not pay anything further, which resulted in lates. When I called, they said it was an error that alot of people experienced. One simple phone call and they were taken care of and I saw a huge boost in my scores. and when I say they relisted them, they also duplicated every one of them too.. but its all taken care of

Old 04-27-2021, 02:19 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggeri5054 View Post
sorry its been a while, credit was fixed. As I looked further into it, the Department of Education relisted all my old paid loans as active with the balance owed, since I had already paid them I did not pay anything further, which resulted in lates. When I called, they said it was an error that alot of people experienced. One simple phone call and they were taken care of and I saw a huge boost in my scores. and when I say they relisted them, they also duplicated every one of them too.. but its all taken care of

Hmmm ... that's bizarre ... I am skeptical.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Thats fine, just wanted to provide an update. We have a closing date now

Old 05-02-2021, 04:28 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,256,403 times
Quote:
Why would you say that?

Old 05-02-2021, 07:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Could it be relate to this?

https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releas...d-19-emergency

Old 05-02-2021, 07:16 AM

Yes it was, the only difference was mine were already paid off, it reactivated when this happened as if the accounts were all open, then the duplicates error on top of it. They did take care of it quickly tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate