Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 12:24 AM

351 posts, read 270,715 times

Advertisements

I always loved the idea of living in a gated community with a 24/7 guard and surveillance. The issue is the only gated communities in my state are 55 and older adult communities. Some of these communities are brand new and very luxurious. They have tennis courts and walking trails and new custom designed homes with open floor plans. I'm nowhere near the age of 55, and really feel like I'm discriminated against because of my age as they won't allow me to move there. The community stated I am allowed to purchase a home there but only to rent it out to an occupant who is 55 years of age or older. They stated I can not occupy the home unless I am 55+. They literally told me I'm too young to live there! The reason I would like to live in a gated secured community is because of safety reasons as I would feel extremely safe there. Also, the benefits of the HOA plowing my driveway and shoveling the sidewalks for me as well as cutting my grass really sounds appealing and hassle free. I have no interest in socializing with the neighbors or going to the clubhouse, I guess I would feel strange if my neighbors were all in their 90s. Nonetheless, shouldn't there be a law granting anyone of any age who wishes to move into these gated adult communities the right to do so? Would I be able to file a successful lawsuit against them based solely on discrimination? Do you agree that these communities should not discriminate based on age?

Old 12-19-2020, 03:21 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
You can file a lawsuit but you will loose and you wouldn't be the first to try so finding a lawyer might be hard.

You're not being discriminated against because you too can move into one at age 55. Just like you can't enroll in preschool now because you're too old you can't live in these communities yet because you're too young.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:22 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,082,704 times
Part of the reason the over 55 communities work is that each household on average doesn’t use the amenities too much thus wearing them out. Over 55 residents may be less healthy or just want to have occasional access. If people like yourself moved there you would command a great deal more than average use. But if you look around there are lots of non age restricted communities with what you like. You’d have to share with people of all ages and the maintenance costs might be higher.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:54 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleyou View Post
I always loved the idea of living in a gated community with a 24/7 guard and surveillance. The issue is the only gated communities in my state are 55 and older adult communities. Some of these communities are brand new and very luxurious. They have tennis courts and walking trails and new custom designed homes with open floor plans. I'm nowhere near the age of 55, and really feel like I'm discriminated against because of my age as they won't allow me to move there. The community stated I am allowed to purchase a home there but only to rent it out to an occupant who is 55 years of age or older. They stated I can not occupy the home unless I am 55+. They literally told me I'm too young to live there! The reason I would like to live in a gated secured community is because of safety reasons as I would feel extremely safe there. Also, the benefits of the HOA plowing my driveway and shoveling the sidewalks for me as well as cutting my grass really sounds appealing and hassle free. I have no interest in socializing with the neighbors or going to the clubhouse, I guess I would feel strange if my neighbors were all in their 90s. Nonetheless, shouldn't there be a law granting anyone of any age who wishes to move into these gated adult communities the right to do so? Would I be able to file a successful lawsuit against them based solely on discrimination? Do you agree that these communities should not discriminate based on age?
"...Discriminate based on age?"
Sure.
And, it is a quite legal form of discrimination, with solid legal foundation unless your state laws specifically modify/override the federal regulations.

https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/..._older_persons

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_7769.PDF

"Question 16
May a housing facility/community impose an age limitation more
restrictive than that required by HOPA and qualify for the 55 or older
exemption?
Answer
Yes. For example, the housing facility/community may require that at least 80
percent of the units be occupied by at least one person 60 years of age or older.
The housing facility/community may require that 100% of the units are
occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older, or that 80% of the
units be occupied exclusively by persons aged 55 or older.
However, the
facility/community should review other state and local laws, including fair
housing laws that may prohibit discrimination based on age, before establishing
policies and procedures restricting occupancy based on age, or affecting
survivors' rights to property, that are not covered under HOPA."

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-19-2020 at 05:25 AM..

Old 12-19-2020, 06:29 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Move to Florida. Lots of gated communities without age restrictions.

Meanwhile, no, you would lose that lawsuit.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:25 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,889,896 times
Quote:
shouldn't there be a law granting anyone of any age who wishes to move into these gated adult communities the right to do so?
No. The legality of those restricted communities has been confirmed as far back as the 1960s.

Quote:

Would I be able to file a successful lawsuit against them based solely on discrimination?
Successful? No. You'd lose.

Quote:

Do you agree that these communities should not discriminate based on age?
No.

I also can't believe that there are no gated communities for younger adults in your state. But if that's true, then your option is to move to a state where there are some.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:

Yes, anyone can file a lawsuit for any reason. Doesn't mean it won't get kicked out of court or that they won't lose. In this particular case, as pointed out, federal law means that you would lose. "But I WANT to live there!" is not a protected class.

On the other hand, there are plenty of gated communities that do NOT fall into the age-restricted class that would fit the bill for you. I suggest you look for one of those.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:14 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Your assumption that gated communities are safer isn't necessarily accurate.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...be%20increased.

You're making other assumptions as well.

1. If the HOA's includes snow plowing, usually it's only the common areas, not personal driveways.

2. There are PLENTY of communities that aren't gated that include yard maintenance and "luxury" amenities.

3. You can read about Protected Group laws (aka ProtectedClass)
to understand why 55+ age restrictions are legal AND NON-discriminatory.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:17 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,074,561 times
The age restriction in most 55+ communities isn’t absolute. There is usually a provision that allows for partners 40 and older as care-givers (or as trophy wives/husbands ). Typically children under age 18 are prohibited as residents so they don’t have school busses trundling through every morning.

If you are childless and pushed it, you could probably get an exemption to live there.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:44 AM

20,613 posts, read 4,406,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The age restriction in most 55+ communities isn’t absolute. There is usually a provision that allows for partners 40 and older as care-givers (or as trophy wives/husbands ). Typically children under age 18 are prohibited as residents so they don’t have school busses trundling through every morning.

If you are childless and pushed it, you could probably get an exemption to live there.

Another situation that may help, is if the younger person or their spouse is disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.