Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 07:50 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Good for you! That's how I felt about my old house - I had done everything it needed to be in tiptop shape and it was the perfect size and one level for me. If there had been medical facilities nearby I'd still be there.
Medical care is top priority when you get to a certain age. Our last house while perfect wasn't near decent hospitals, over an hour to Philly or where my dad was treated. I traveled an hour for my old dentist because dental care was lacking there too. My GP was 20 minutes away in another town.

They did open a decent Virtua hospital which is 45 minutes from the old house and about 20 minutes from the new. We also have a trauma center about 30 minutes away. That was an hour from my old town.

We were near the Fort Dix military base. When 9/11 happened, they stopped access around the base roads so we had to go 10+ miles out of our way to get anywhere.

We weren't even close to a Walmart. Now I'm near 2 with tons of shopping within 5 miles. I don't have to drive 30 minutes any more to food shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 03:27 PM

56 posts, read 40,382 times
I'd lean towards staying; however, why not talk with an agent to get clarity regarding what your home would sell for, what you'd net, and options to purchase. Even if a new place is smaller, but closer to your family, it could make sense to move.

Money is cheap right now, so perhaps you can get a mortgage that's the same as or close to what you're paying now and live in a place that better suits what you want. Just as the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate