Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:42 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I have the doc, but it is not searchable, as it is not an original, but scanned.
Then you have to read every page. Which is something you should have gotten and read either before you made your offer or within the initial inspection period.

Quote:
do HOA people really get that anal about something like that?
Yes, they do.

Every hear the phrase HOA NAZIs? It's all over the internet. Thousands of horror stories about people trapped in an HOA who can't do what they want with their homes because they've given up the right of non-conformity when they bought into the HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Thx.

I have the doc, but it is not searchable, as it is not an original, but scanned.

Playing with fire... really? lol Why would there be such an outrage? I haven't committed a crime against humanity. I have changed a window. I have beared the cost, the work was done by a pro, and the new window looks the same as the old to the point where you can't tell the diff from less than 5 ft away. I understand why there are rules, but do HOA people really get that anal about something like that?
There are rational people who really try to do the right thing on BODs. However, there are some who have no life, never accomplished anything, nor had an original thought, - they are the ones who walk around in the evening making notes about the slightest infraction to make themselves feel important and superior.

We lived in the condo for only as long as it was useful and then very cheerfully moved out, never looking back. There are many other threads about the dangers of HOAs which are worth a good read.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:08 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
I don't see why they'd have a problem with your replacing a window with one that looks the same as the old. I live in a 40-year-old community in FL and people replace windows all the time with ones that are hurricane-rated and better insulated. I'm planning on doing this soon myself. I will have to submit an architectural request form to the Board, along with detailed specs from the contractor. Once approved, the contractor will apply for a permit from the county.

Now in some condo communities, perhaps the owners aren't responsible for the windows, but you'll have to read those documents. I definitely would not proceed without approval from the HOA. Your documents will spell out what the consequences are for violations of the rules.

Last edited by Avalon08; 12-22-2020 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-22-2020, 10:09 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Thx.

Unfortunately, I do not have a searchable CC&R :/

Will ask once I get situated... just wanted some thoughts.
What do your documents say? Something "comparable" to the original? A certain brand?

I replaced my windows about a year after I moved in. They had to be the same style as the old, but not the same brand or anything. As a matter of fact, the building was constructed in 1985 and the window frames were wood, and I replaced the in 2010 with vinyl. No problem. The style was the same.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:34 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Read the By Laws and Rules and Regs. See if there is a spec provided. While I have heard occasional horror stories on petty stuff, I think most HOA's are reasonable on something like a window replacement - they simply want it to be same aesthetically - style/color- wise from exterior (especially if it is front/street facing). Not sure if a master bedroom window not visible from the street would be as much of an issue.

I would check to if there is a facility manager / management rep for the HOA before going directly to a board member. It will probably go better and show professionalism and you can likely avoid getting the potential petty power trip board types involved. If the board is involved in something as simple as a window replacement spec and it isn't already spelled out in the HOA I would not buy or live in such a poorly managed one. FWIW.

I was on an HOA board for about 5 years and we simply have a few approved providers of the same style / type of window (ours are commercial grade) and not common size. About 3 years into ownership I did what you are attempting to do which is replace some old (steel casement single pane) windows with new modern higher quality i.e. sound proofing. It worked out fine. I contacted Pella rep and got quotes and replaced with vinyl double pane windows and the sound issue was improved tremendously. The funny thing was the nosey folks thought the cute Pella rep when she came to measure and provide quote was a girlfriend.

Now we did have an owner (while I was on board) who decided to go ahead and do a replacement on sliding doors. Guy was a headcase. Facility manager even engaged him up front when he was doing other related work and provided him the spec and then he decided he somehow didn't care cause he could find something 'cheaper'. Due to a technicality - poor documentation on part of our FM- the board decided to let it stand since it wasn't a street facing replacement.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:09 AM

17,268 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
Changing out a window for one with thicker glass to eliminate noise? Why would the homeowner association give a flying leap about new windows? Come on people. I could see some approval being needed if you live in some sort of museum. Only if you are dramatically (somehow) changing the appearance will anybody even notice. HOA's are to keep you from painting your house pink and purple, or putting up decks or fences where they are not now.
If it doesn't match, the color is off or the style of the window is slightly different then it's "game on!"

Condos/townhouses are very much into uniform appearances, change that and then there is a problem.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Quote:

Playing with fire... really? lol Why would there be such an outrage? I haven't committed a crime against humanity. I have changed a window. I have beared the cost, the work was done by a pro, and the new window looks the same as the old to the point where you can't tell the diff from less than 5 ft away. I understand why there are rules, but do HOA people really get that anal about something like that?
Oh boy, another person who wants the niceness of an hoa neighborhood but doesn't understand that they have to obey the rules of that hoa.

YES, they will be that way. YES, you can be fined, have a lien put on your house, and be forced to replace that window if it doesn't meet the approved of the architectural committee.

Just get the approval. Sheesh.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:29 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Just follow the community's guidelines for physical upgrades Upgrades like this are commonly approved very quickly. You said that they did not approve it in the thread title. What was the reason that they denied it ? Are you in a condo ?

Old 12-23-2020, 07:53 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Thx.

The HOA may force you to remove the new window and replace it with the original, pay fines, and, depending on the state, take you to court. In Texas, if the HOA sues and wins, you have to pay their legal fees, which can run many times higher than the cost of the change.

Read your HOA rules and follow the process outlined there.

As an example of how anal an HOA can be, my parents wanted to repaint their house the same color. The HOA said no, because the approved color pallette had changed. Totally stupid, but the rule.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:55 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
Changing out a window for one with thicker glass to eliminate noise? Why would the homeowner association give a flying leap about new windows? Come on people. I could see some approval being needed if you live in some sort of museum. Only if you are dramatically (somehow) changing the appearance will anybody even notice. HOA's are to keep you from painting your house pink and purple, or putting up decks or fences where they are not now.
I'm on an HOA Board and I certainly agree with this, but others are less reasonable. We're happy as long as the change is nothing extreme and doesn't make your place stick out like a sore thumb. We're even happier if you're investing in improving your property (they were thrilled when DH and I sent plans for enclosing the back porch and making it a 3-season room after we moved in).

There are unreasonable HOAs. My niece had a home with a front porch with a roof over it. They installed a couple of metal "eyes" in the porch ceiling so they could put a baby swing there. Any time they weren't using the swing it was taken down and stored. The HOA sent them a note telling them they had to remove the eyes in the ceiling. They sold and moved out soon after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate