Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 05:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Condos are considered common property (joint ownership) outside the inner walls for the most part.

For instance, if an owner has a small fire in their unit and their personal property is damaged they file a claim with their own insurance policy and not the community's. Conversely if the building's roof has to be replaced for whatever reason, that is the responsibility of the Condo association and it's own insurance policy/reserves. Of course, read the association documents for exact details.

Other shared elements may include parking areas/roads, swimming pools, workout rooms, elevators, stairways, outer walls, foundations and others.
I understand condo ownership, but when you take title, I believe it's as an individual or as joint tenant, or whatever. You don't take ownership with the condo, but you must abide by HOA rules to live in a condo.

I don't want to argue this, as I am no expert.

Some expert should comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 06:17 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Oh boy, another person who wants the niceness of an hoa neighborhood but doesn't understand that they have to obey the rules of that hoa.

You read my op, and you cam up with THAT?

Sheesh is right - but it's on you.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
YOU are the person that has the responsibility of reading, understanding and agreeing with the HOA rules, regs, policies, procedures, etc. of that community. If YOU don't like them or don't want to abide by them, DON'T MOVE THERE. I for one purposely buy into an HOA because I don't want people like you living next door to me. If you cannot abide by rules I don't want you in my life. And YES, HOA residents EXPECT those who live in or buy into an HOA to FOLLOW the same rules we do. If you want to "do your own thing" after living in one, then get on the Board of Directors and take the time to get these rules changed. Good Luck with that, BTW.
YOU can stop with the attitude, thank you very much.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
You are assuming this is going to be a big deal, and it probably won't be at all.

Might not be, but I am an always prepare for the worst type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Where you run into issues (or as another poster said, "play with fire") is when you completely disregard the rules and their decisions and p*ss them off.

Point taken, but yeah - that's not what I am doing. I am smarter than that, and more respectful than that.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Find out who manufactured the original windows, & get a replacement from them, so it matches as well as it can. Yes, get permission first.
Hey - there's an idea! See... this is why I like to ask Qs! Would have NEVER thought of that myself.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
OP, are you in a multi-story condo or just a single family home in an HOA ?

In your original post you stated "Just bought a townhouse/condo". It's one or the other but not both. I own an end unit townhome connected to 5 others in the same building. In my HOA, technically I own my home but not the land/yard surrounding it. Mine is not a condominium and I am responsible for the cost of any and all roof repairs for my unit. For any external changes to the outside I must submit an ARB request.

If you are in a condo there are more restrictions and hoops to jump through. In the case of a window replacement/change you don't officially own that window, it is considered community property, just like it would be for a community swimming pool. You have to read you community documents carefully before making any changes yourself.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 12-23-2020 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-23-2020, 07:43 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Former HOA president, vice president, board member, etc., etc. of associations for single family dwellings here.

I'm surprised if any fines exist. Many states don't allow fines anymore. Fines are a waste anyway, as they're near impossible to collect, much as liens are. The associations I was on did their best to work out resolutions with the owners who wouldn't comply with the deed restrictions or covenants. If things went south, and they sometimes did, we turned it over to our association attorney to deal with. There are a couple of ways it can go with this - filing for foreclosure on the owner's property, or suing them for non-compliance.

If there's a monetary issue, like failing to pay assessments, that would usually go to a foreclosure. If the owner has a mortgage the mortgage holder gets really unhappy if there's another creditor nipping at their heels. There's no way the HOA can insert itself ahead of the mortgage holder in the line, but just the presence of a foreclosure action on the books makes lenders very unhappy.

If it's a compliance issue, then it's off to court to sue the owner for non-compliance. In Florida, you sign a document when you purchase a property in a deed restricted community stating that you understand and know the HOA rules and will abide by them. It's a requirement of the sale. When someone is non-compliant and we show up in court with that document, it's pretty much game over. And they get to go home with a bill for our legal fees in most cases, too.

These two approaches worked well. The few that occurred served as examples we could hold up to less than cooperative owners when they started to get ugly. Sure, there were a few that stood their ground on principal, but they lost and ended up with some really serious legal bills, both from the HOA and their own attorneys.

As we would often say, "What's it cost to be "most right"?" On average, about $5,000. Ouch.

RM

Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
My experience tells me that anytime someone moves into an HOA community and starts looking to circumvent the rules, they should have never moved into an HOA community. It will only get worse for you.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:43 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Going against an HOA, is akin to going up against the EPA.

They hold all the cards, and you hold nuthin.'

Old 12-23-2020, 09:56 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
It's a sign of the times that people buy a place with HOA CCRs and then get upset that the rules actually apply to THEM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate