Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:10 PM

319 posts, read 198,952 times

Advertisements

I live in a neighborhood where all the houses were built at the same time. Every house on my street has the same layout - split foyer, living room, dining room, kitchen, 4 beds, 2.5 to 3 baths (but all in the same space), basement, laundry room, garage, and an attic (too shallow to be used for anything else).

But I've noticed on sites like Zillow and Redfin that some of these homes are listed as having 200 to 500 more square footage than others. I looked at the pictures of the homes listed as having more square footage, and there's no difference or change to the layout from the homes that are listed as having less square footage. The garages are still being used as car garages. And the decks aren't covered/heated.

So where is this extra square footage coming from?

Is it that when these houses were built decades ago, parts of the home weren't able to be included in the square footage but by today's rules they can be, and certain people have updated their home's square footage on the listing sites? If so, who can I get to come out and remeasure the square footage of my house just so I can see what comparable homes are selling for?

Or are basements not counted in square footage but if you consider it a bedroom than it does add to the square footage? If that's the case, wouldn't the basement/bedroom need a door to be considered a true bedroom? Because in the pictures, there's no door sealing off the basement since the homes are split foyer.

Maybe they're including their sheds? Can you do that?

Or maybe some homes are counting the laundry/utility room in the square footage? What are the rules on that?

The reason I'm asking is because the homes on the street are showing a wide range of values on the listing sites but as I said the layouts are all the same but the square footage listed is different. And I think that's driving a good portion of the pricing difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 02:56 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Zillow and Redfin pull data from public records or MLS listings.
Neither source is near 100% reliable for SF.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:29 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Sometimes builders offer to bump out 2 or 3 feet across the back of the house. It wouldn’t necessarily be evident unless you got out your tape measure.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:38 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Layout and measurements are two different things. You won't understand the difference without the measurements.

If you're really curious check your county assessor's website and see if there are diagrams with measurements.

You can compare them house to house.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 AM

70 posts, read 86,986 times
Property owners can edit the public records data in both Zillow and Redfin if they "claim" the house on the respective site. It's possible some owners are changing the square footage to something they believe is more accurate.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:29 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
In one new build home I owned, there was an option for a finished room over the garage (FROG) that added about 300sq ft. Well the builder filed plans for my house using his standard plans as in not showing the FROG. Thus the tax records showed the house being some 300sq ft less. I did not know this until it came time to sell. The house was listed at the larger sq ft and several prospective purchasers asked about it. Fortunately I had saved a copy of the builders original model floor plans which showed the FROG sq ft. I do not know if my buyer ever changed the tax records. It has since sold again.

If one had say a one room house and measured sq ft from the outside then the inside, there would be a difference due to wall thickness. Someone do the math............LOL

Old 12-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Thanks, everyone.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:29 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Depends on where they are getting the information from. Our builder lists our square footage as one number, the county tax assessor lists it as another, and the recent appraisal we had listed it as yet another number. And just for fun, my neighbor across the street has the exact, same floorplan, and the county tax assessor has hers listed as yet another square footage.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:12 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Just because the floorplan looks the same does not mean the houses are the same size. One house might have larger rooms. (Outside walls stretched out to make a larger footprint.)

I bought one last year where the builder offers the same Floorplan in two sizes: 1700 Sq ft and 1350 Sq ft. The smaller house has a smaller living room / dining room and a slightly smaller master bedroom but both offer the same excellent use of space and they both look the same from the front.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-28-2020 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-28-2020, 08:57 PM

Who do I call to get my home officially remeasured and have the square footage updated in all official places? I'm not selling but I just want to know what comparable houses are selling for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate