Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 08:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,201,954 times

Advertisements

I'd don't like the thought of neighborhoods turning to rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 11:53 PM

3,253 posts, read 3,731,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd don't like the thought of neighborhoods turning to rentals.
I don't like the idea of anyone telling me what I can do with property I own.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:05 AM

3,978 posts, read 1,969,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Two weeks ago I saw a moving van in front of the home and then a few days later a for sale sign went up. I checked Zillow, and there it is. Here is the thing, this guy's Zillow add is close to what the Navy guy had listed when he sold the home. It's not word-for-word but he mentions all the updates that were done by the previous owner as though he had had them done. This also makes the updates sound newer than they are.

I bought a house in 2019 that openly listed the entire HVAC system having been updated within 2 years for 13K, which would have made it 2017, or later.

The previous owner of the house before the person I bought it from was the one who had upgraded the HVAC in 2010, and I found proof. A lazy listing agent had left that time specific verbiage in the ad, but that alone got me a 3K credit on closing costs.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:39 PM

586 posts, read 549,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Because he's not living there I am guessing he has an agent. Sometimes agents will read and reuse the description in an old listing. It's lazy, but it happens. It sounds like what happened here. Given the guy hasn't lived there for most of the year, he probably didn't do much in the three years he did live there full-time. Windows, doors, etc. are not suddenly NOT updates because a different person owns the house.

Nothing false about the ad.
He certainly didn't write the ad that went on MLS unless he did a FSBO.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,201,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I don't like the idea of anyone telling me what I can do with property I own.
I get that. And if people can't get a mortgage they have to live somewhere.

Rentals often drive property values down which can be a hardship for resident homeowners.

In this little desert town Section 8 was approved for many apartment buildings. Keeps the units filled but it brought a good measure of riff raff into town as well.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:29 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,157,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I get that. And if people can't get a mortgage they have to live somewhere.

Rentals often drive property values down which can be a hardship for resident homeowners.

In this little desert town Section 8 was approved for many apartment buildings. Keeps the units filled but it brought a good measure of riff raff into town as well.
Oaky, the home sold and for the price I was hoping it would go for as it means I can sell place for more. There is another home near by listed for about $20K more than what my neighbor sold for and I am sure I can get a little more than that on my place.

But, this was one of my concerns. The homeowner to my left rents out his place and we have had problems with some of his tenants who turned out to be drug dealers and others who were generally lame. There was even an overdose there, too. Others in my neighborhood do the same and I am tired of seeing renters in other homes who think bed sheets make good curtains, and the only other thing I will add is that cops are coming around more often than they used to (which was zero only a few years ago).

Sure, landlords can do what they want with their properties as long as it is legal but what some of them are choosing to do seems to be in complete disregard to the others who currently live there/here.

To other comments: I just believe in honesty. Homes in my area never had a problem selling and they all went for good prices as far as I can tell. Yeah, it rubbed me the wrong way but I did say I wasn't sure if it warranted a posting.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:04 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,382,989 times
Quote:
Oaky, the home sold and for the price I was hoping it would go for as it means I can sell place for more. There is another home near by listed for about $20K more than what my neighbor sold for and I am sure I can get a little more than that on my place.

But, this was one of my concerns. The homeowner to my left rents out his place and we have had problems with some of his tenants who turned out to be drug dealers and others who were generally lame. There was even an overdose there, too. Others in my neighborhood do the same and I am tired of seeing renters in other homes who think bed sheets make good curtains, and the only other thing I will add is that cops are coming around more often than they used to (which was zero only a few years ago).

Sure, landlords can do what they want with their properties as long as it is legal but what some of them are choosing to do seems to be in complete disregard to the others who currently live there/here.

To other comments: I just believe in honesty. Homes in my area never had a problem selling and they all went for good prices as far as I can tell. Yeah, it rubbed me the wrong way but I did say I wasn't sure if it warranted a posting.
It did. Your post reminded me how important it is to ask for documentation about how long ago renovations and repairs were made, which owners made those changes, and to also provide that information to prospective buyers of my house.

I believe in honesty, too.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:31 PM

21,668 posts, read 9,243,132 times
Quote:
Not really sure if this warrants a post or not. I am more peeved than anything, but also concerned.

So, I own my home and my neighbor to the left has been absent for much of our state's Covid-19 shutdown (which has been going since March). He is a single parent and I assume he went to stay at his parent's, but am not sure as my wife and I never really talked to him. He has been our neighbor for about 4 years.

We were friends with the old owner, a guy in the Navy. He did a bunch of renovations, new insulation in the attic, new windows, door, flooring, and so on. He also had one of his Navy buddies as a roommate and for the last year he owned the home he moved out and was looking for a second person to rent, which he had advertised for on Zillow.

Two weeks ago I saw a moving van in front of the home and then a few days later a for sale sign went up. I checked Zillow, and there it is. Here is the thing, this guy's Zillow add is close to what the Navy guy had listed when he sold the home. It's not word-for-word but he mentions all the updates that were done by the previous owner as though he had had them done. This also makes the updates sound newer than they are.

The ad also mentions that the property has been good as a rental property, which, unless the guy who has been living there is the renter, is another flat-out lie. As far as my wife and I can tell, no one else has lived in that home other than him and his kid. While some of our neighbors are renters, some good and some bad, I fear this is the angle he is trying to take to entice a sale.

The good news is that there is a pending sale on his place at the high end of its value. Historically, our home has always been appraised more than his property as we have amenities that his property doesn't, so I am hopeful that if the sale goes through it will help to raise the value of my own home.

I'm glad the guy is gone. I was tired of him and his buddies partying in his backyard --which shares a fence with my back yard-- into 2 or 3 AM, smoking cigs and marijuana and flicking cigarette butts into my yard. I should be relieved but for some reason I am not. Nothing I can do I suppose. His ad just ticks me off. It just seems that more and more neighbors are renting to problem tenants and I am worried this might be the case yet again.
Sounds like a renter to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate