Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 10:25 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times

Advertisements

Alot of things in a furnance can be repaired or replaced. But after a certain point it's time to replace. If it needs more than one major repair perhaps it's time to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 10:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
Thank you again! I know very little about gas furnaces and this thread has given me more to think about. And just about everything I do to the house now is under the umbrella of "not wanting to spend money on a house I plan to sell next year" but also, "do I need to do this to sell next year." Fiddling with the furnace is something I only do when I clean the filter once a month. Selling a house is something I've only done once before (and that was in a bad time too).
I think someone is trying to lead your down the primrose path.

Metal parts of gas furnaces generally don't suffer from 'metal fatigue.' Heat exchangers can fail, but that would cost up to twice the cost you have been quoted. So, I assume that isn't the case and you would easily know that and, I suspect, would have been told that directly. Here is one discussion:
https://americanhomewater.com/cracke...nger-symptoms/

Other parts, such as burners and igniters (or thermocouples) can fail, but again, that should have been described in any quotes.

Duct cleaning is also not generally necessary unless you are experiencing excessive dust and notice that coming from your vents. Just change your furnace filter first (the type that costs a buck).

If your furnace is working, I would not do anything except change furnace companies.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:58 AM

70 posts, read 87,187 times
My experience listing houses in a hot market is an old or new furnace is not going to impact the number of interested buyers when you sell your house. Buyers in a hot market are forced to compromise on many things, just add an old furnace to the list. Assuming the buyer has a home inspection performed, you might have to negotiate the cost of a furnace replacement at that point but I'd suggest waiting to cross that bridge when you get there. Definitely don't spend money on duct cleaning or electrostatic air cleaner - the new owner can do those things if they desire. Good luck with the sale of your house!

Old 01-02-2021, 11:01 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Most HVAC companies, as do many other businesses, will try an upsell meaning suggest more work or items. This type selling works well on those that do not understand something. The classic example is someone going to going to a quick lube place which are notorious for upsells. My wife told me she would never take her car to quick lube place after she came home one time and she showed me what work they had done. They had done all sorts of upsells on her. She said, from now on you take my car in. I knew how and what to say no thanks to.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:00 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
You aren't planning on selling for a year and a half - 2 more winters. Personally, I would go ahead with the second inspection, because I'd want to know FOR ME if the furnace was in ok shape or if there was something legit to the first guy's claims.

If a second person confirmed significant repairs were needed, then I'd start getting quotes for a replacement to make the decision about repair vs replace. Not for a potential buyer down the road but for myself, because I would prefer to do that on a scheduled basis rather than as an emergency - if it's truly needed.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:25 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
end of useful life is a completely meaningless phrase. The first thing someone will ask is "how long before I have to replace it" and the truth of the matter is, nobody, not even the home inspector knows that. I've never had a home inspector give a specific # of years because they can't.

I have NEVER seen a home inspection report that did not indicate at least 1 thing near the end of it's useful life.
You truly are misguided. There are industry standards for expected life on equipment such as water heaters and HVAC systems. Even kitchen appliances. Its out there available for anyone to see. Obviously, there are regional differences, such as an air conditioner in Florida will not last as long as one in San Diego for instance.

The phrase is only meaningless to someone that doesn't have the sense to understand it.

Without a crystal ball, no on can predict the exact time of failure. However, many people can give estimates on how long something will last. Roofers do it all the time. Tire dealers can give you a rough idea as well.

I don't have any idea how many home inspection reports you have seen, but I have written over 11,000, and as a report verifier I have looked at several hundred reports from other inspectors.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:52 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
the technician really pushed the duct cleaning and special filters much more than any other issue.
Red flag.
Get another quote.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:04 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
I plan to put my house on the market in June 2022. I've been trying to to do too many updates to my house unless I need to or I really think it will help sell the house (like removing all the wallpaper a month ago). I've, unfortunately, had to make a few more repairs and replacements this year which have added up to a lot of money (to me). So I am well over budget for home repairs this year.

I had my yearly gas furnace inspection and everything is working fine, it was before I called. But there are two parts with metal fatigue. If one cracks, the furnace stops working. If the other cracks, CO could leak into the air (I have CO detectors). The tech suggested replacing the whole furnace, but I also asked for a quote to just repair what's broken. If I was going to stay here, I would probably start budgeting to replace the furnace. But I only need it to be in good working order for another season and it's fine now. So I am thinking repair would be more economical.

The quote for that repair, plus cleaning all the accumulated dust out of the fan and other parts, is $800.

He also tried to tell me I need the ducts cleaned and that's another $500 and he wanted me to buy an electrostatic filter that cuts out most dust for another $1000, but I don't think I will bother with either of those. If I replace or repair, either way the furnace will be clean enough by the time I sell and dust in the ducts isn't something that bothers me. It just seems to stick in there (I don't have a household dust problem).

I have a free appointment to get a quote on a new furnace. I have no idea what that will cost at this point, but my thought is, depending on the price, it might be worth it IF putting in a new furnace would be a good selling feature. The current one is 19 years old.

Does something like a new furnace help sell a house? I sometimes see it on home descriptions and, to me, it's something that would appeal to me. But I've been told I am not the typical home buyer as I don't care about a lot of stuff other buyers do (like updates and cosmetic issues). Maybe most buyers don't care about the same things I look at (the, then, "newer" furnace and brand new AC were big selling features to me and part of the reason I was interested in the house I have now).

I should add that I live right outside the DC metro area, close in. Demand here is high. Houses in my area and in my neighborhood don't sit long on the market. Some, of what I think, are high priced houses might sit for a month, but I am always shocked that they eventually sell for the asking price. Moderate priced houses are off market in days. Low priced houses seem to end up in bidding wars and also go off market in days.
Get a second opinion.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:05 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Red flag.
Get another quote.
I agree. Big RED FLAG.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:17 PM

1,579 posts, read 949,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Red flag.
Get another quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree. Big RED FLAG.

Want to hear something funny? His pushing it really stood out to me too and I thought to myself that maybe this guy just has some kind of dirt phobia or something. I didn't think hard core sales pith, I just kept thinking, "poor man, he's got some real issues if he's that worried about a little dust." I didn't see the red flag because I was too busy feeling pity. Am I a piece of work or what? haha

He probably saw that my house was neat and tidy and figured I was a woman who would be horrified by the idea of dust in the ducts and particles in the air. I grew up on a dirt road in farm county, dust was just part of life. Besides, like I said, it's not like dust is blowing out of the vents or anyone is having allergies or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate