Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 09:36 PM

158 posts, read 196,699 times

Advertisements

I'm selling my house and someone just made an offer. I disclosed upfront any potential issues, but one thing I didn't mention is my neighbor sometimes plays music on a Friday night for a few hours. We can't hear the actual songs or the music, except the bass... which cuts through the walls into our living room. It's not that loud, but I can hear it. We aren't bothered by it too much, our neighbor is usually done by 11pm. Its maybe 2 Fridays a month. Do I need to disclose this? I don't want the buyer to think it's worse than it is. We do live in an HOA community and we never told our neighbor that we hear it, and never submitted a complaint. I don't want the buyers to be surprised by this issue, though I know buying a house comes with risks and any neighbor can be a problem that exists now or in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 10:16 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times
Every state has their own disclosure requirements and forms. Just answer the questions honestly, no more, no less.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:20 PM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitak View Post
We do live in an HOA community and we never told our neighbor that we hear it, and never submitted a complaint. I don't want the buyers to be surprised by this issue, though I know buying a house comes with risks and any neighbor can be a problem that exists now or in the future.
A couple of months ago, I sold my house. I didn't mention that every neighbor has one or more barking dogs. We had coyotes, rabbits, deer, groundhogs causing dogs to bark. We were all on acre plus lots but the noise traveled.

There were tons of kids in the neighborhood screaming all summer long too.

Life happens.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:21 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,518 times
I live in a generally quiet neighborhood, but spaced out larger homes on 1+ acre lots as opposed to OPs shared walls. Even here, there is someone down around the corner from us that likes to host outdoor dinner parties in the summer and the music floats through the air to where we are. They have good taste in music and shut it down as per the city noise ordinance. If the breeze is blowing just right, we can also hear music from a couple of area high schools on some football nights. It wouldn't occur to me to mention this to a buyer. I think you are fine, OP. If someone is buying a home with a shared wall, they have to be prepared that it isn't going to be a silent experience.

As you are moving, you could thank your neighbor for being a good neighbor while you lived there. Gently let them know that they may not be aware the bass sound comes through the wall. It may be possible they can move things around or adjust the bass.

Good luck on your move!

Old 03-13-2021, 10:26 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
In my state, the disclosure form includes just about anything, and where the specific thing is not noted, there's a space for additional disclosures.

Not sure what you meant by "one thing I didn't mention." Do you mean you forgot to note it on the form or???

Noise is very subjective and is regulated by ordinances, so it may or may not even fall into the disclosure category. Only you can interpret that.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:40 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
You only have to answer the questions on your state's disclosure form. You do need to answer honestly IF asked, but you don't need to volunteer more if it's not asked.

If they ask you "is the neighborhood quiet?" Answer honestly.

In our contracts, we actually have a "neighborhood review" contingency, where clients have an obligation to check out the neighborhood. We encourage ours to go on a Friday or Saturday and sit down the street and watch and listen and see what goes on. Few do that, but some do!

Old 03-13-2021, 03:14 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
I wouldn’t say anything, and wouldn’t worry about coming back to bite you in the rear regardless of your state’s laws. You never made any complaints, and for all they know you’re out until late at night on the weekend, watch movies or listen to music loudly yourself, or go out of town a lot?

By and large our neighborhood is quiet. I was certain of this before closing because I took no less than a dozen trips to it while in escrow all days of the week, and at all hours. I got out and walked around talking to people working in their yards, and talked to a couple of different mailmen. A buyer has a month to find out a lot about any neighborhood.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:21 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,192 times
Hearing the bass through the walls every two weeks is not what I would consider a problem with noise. It's fairly normal for townhome and apartment living.

(You didn't specify whether it's a townhome or single family dwelling but I would guess you have a shared wall, from what you've said.)

It wouldn't have occurred to me to make special mention of it.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:13 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Hearing the bass through the walls every two weeks is not what I would consider a problem with noise. It's fairly normal for townhome and apartment living.
I would consider it a GIGANTIC problem. If it were disclosed, I absolutely would not buy the property. (My home is supposed to be my sanctuary -- I do not want to be forced to listen to someone else's bass! I expected that as a renter -- and still hated it -- but NOT as a property owner. The building should be better built than that, assuming it's a townhouse or condo -- but of course, many are NOT built better than that, and I certainly want to know before I move in. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
(You didn't specify whether it's a townhome or single family dwelling but I would guess you have a shared wall, from what you've said.)
That ^^^ is pretty important info and I couldn't tell either from the first post what kind of "home" the OP has.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:16 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
It is not within the realm of disclosure. Disclosure only has to do with the physical condition of the home you listed and not people, not traffic, not parking etc. It is not dishonesty. Like you said the bass doesn't bother you so it is not a problem anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate