Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:44 PM

432 posts, read 1,879,274 times

Advertisements

I have been dealing with one whose client keeps standing her up. The buyer insists that she can only look at houses before 7:30 am. Well, I said yes twice. They did not show. That is that. And she did not call me to apologize when they did not show. I guess she finds this kind of behavior acceptable, and thinks I should too!

If a buyer wants to look at my house, it is not worth the effort to me to disrupt our hectic mornings when they likely will be in a rush and under pressure too.

We are in attorney reveiw now, and this one agent still keeps calling, trying to get this one person in to see the house. At a bizarre and busy hour. This has been going on all month.

Then after four showings in a row last weekend, a fifth one shows up out of nowhere. Uh, she spoke to my realtor "earlier". I said fine, and she came and showed the house - in and out, not staying to look and ask questions like the others. I figured that with all the people on this one day, we had crossed signals somewhere. Nope. "earlier" meant the PREVIOUS weekend. I have a cat who bites, and he needs to be secured for showings. But the dizzy ones come in and despite my warnings tellme that they like cats and know all about my cat, and won't let him out.

I then tell them the real problem is that he probably won't let THEM out - alive, anyway.

It is a weird market, you get lots of positive feedback from buyers but they won't make offers. Its like they are looking and then waiting for the big crash that CBS news tells them is coming. I think many of them are terrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
If possible, if you're getting a lot of no-shows, I would suggest just keeping the house picked up in general, but not fussing unduly, and don't leave the house until the agent(s) arrive.

Keep the stuff you need to take with you by the door, and when you hear them pull up, you leave. You can nod to them politely as you go

For a house is remaining on the market awhile, I wouldn't bother with fresh flowers or other expendable items unless you'd normally have these anyway. Might be better to use attractive but lasting accents that don't need to be replenished.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:32 AM

47 posts, read 164,709 times
You're obviously dealing with the wrong type of realtor. If it starts out bad, that's a big warning.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
If possible, if you're getting a lot of no-shows, I would suggest just keeping the house picked up in general, but not fussing unduly, and don't leave the house until the agent(s) arrive.

Keep the stuff you need to take with you by the door, and when you hear them pull up, you leave. You can nod to them politely as you go

For a house is remaining on the market awhile, I wouldn't bother with fresh flowers or other expendable items unless you'd normally have these anyway. Might be better to use attractive but lasting accents that don't need to be replenished.
That is done 99% of the time; but with two kids and a job where I have to leave at a moment's notice, this isn't always possible. Plus, I like to have the house more than picked up. The music should be on, floors just mopped, flowers out etc.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilson67 View Post
You're obviously dealing with the wrong type of realtor. If it starts out bad, that's a big warning.
This has nothing to do with the sellers realtor; it is all the buyer's realtor!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 AM

200 posts, read 561,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This has nothing to do with the sellers realtor; it is all the buyer's realtor!
No it is not always about the buyer's realtor. I have a listing w/ 2 small children, 2 cats, and a dog plus the little girl has a severe allergy to peanuts. I personally screen each appt. First I emphasize the allergy issue, 2nd discuss w/ the realtor the need to narrow the expected arrival time, emphasize the need for asap notification if there will be a delay since we have a difficult evacuation [ as well as the need for advance notifiaction]. I find w/ this listing, as I have with others in the past, buyer's agents easily become sensitive to a situation when the approach is soft and carefully explained. So.........rec you ask your realtor to assist. It is not an outrageous request...particularly w/ the number of cancellations and your need to get more then yourself ready. Other suggestions offered to ease the "getting ready" are right on. Eventually you will need to ease the frustration or it will begin to be reflected in appt confirmations and house rediness. Note: Have showed homes where the music played was disliked by the prospective buyer to the extent that it became a distraction....like unmade beds.........There was a home in our area where extreme classical music was always on . Showed that one twice and it annoyed both couples.............quiet can set a great mood.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNYISHOME View Post
No it is not always about the buyer's realtor. I have a listing w/ 2 small children, 2 cats, and a dog plus the little girl has a severe allergy to peanuts. I personally screen each appt. First I emphasize the allergy issue, 2nd discuss w/ the realtor the need to narrow the expected arrival time, emphasize the need for asap notification if there will be a delay since we have a difficult evacuation [ as well as the need for advance notifiaction]. I find w/ this listing, as I have with others in the past, buyer's agents easily become sensitive to a situation when the approach is soft and carefully explained. So.........rec you ask your realtor to assist. It is not an outrageous request...particularly w/ the number of cancellations and your need to get more then yourself ready. Other suggestions offered to ease the "getting ready" are right on. Eventually you will need to ease the frustration or it will begin to be reflected in appt confirmations and house rediness. Note: Have showed homes where the music played was disliked by the prospective buyer to the extent that it became a distraction....like unmade beds.........There was a home in our area where extreme classical music was always on . Showed that one twice and it annoyed both couples.............quiet can set a great mood.
That case seems entirely different.

That said; my realtor can only do so much to 'control' realtors calling at the last minute or not showing up.

As for the music; don't know what extreme classical is I have it quietly in the background and have gotten compliments from every realtor that the house was perfectly staged.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 AM

200 posts, read 561,488 times
Apologize for trying to help..................seems like you missed the point but perhaps the point is that you like it difficult.........

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Specially in this market buyers and agent should be on time and cancel if the aren't coming. I have been waiting for agents so many times. Didn't matter that the apointments were the first in the morning. I waited and waited....basicaly the agent is stating that his/her time is more important than mine, well I can wait one time but in todays market I move on there so many agents waiting for clients.
I have been waiting also for buyers and non shows which is very annoying. If they appolize it is fine with me it shows that they at least cared and every one can be stuck in traffic or what so ever, but in this period of time we live in, almost every one has a cell phone, so just make the phone call it is appreciated.
By the way since I hate being late I almost never are late myself, unless an act of God. I teach my kids this and IMO it will help them later in life. In business you can't just show up late for meetings....

Old 05-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNYISHOME View Post
Apologize for trying to help..................seems like you missed the point but perhaps the point is that you like it difficult.........
That was completely uncalled for! How in the world from my post are you finding me difficult?

Last edited by veuvegirl; 05-08-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate