Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

Has anyone hired a private investigator to vet a property before making a purchase offer?

I'm asking because (a) we're house-hunting from afar, and (b) even if we were right there, I can't imagine being able to dig as deep as a professional would (nor would I want to, really).

Checking out the house itself is no problem (we're working with a realtor and we would get an inspection). It's what goes on in the neighborhood I'm interested in knowing more about -- those things people recommend you look into by going by the property at all hours of the day & night and maybe trying to talk with some neighbors.

Even to myself, hiring a PI sounds a bit extreme, but since it's been on my mind, I figured I'd ask. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
This is why we hire home INSPECTORS and not private DETECTIVES. If I were a seller and found out that a potential buyer hired a PI to investigate me and my family I would never sell my home to you. This sounds like a breach of trust and I would strongly advise against doing so unless you had a legitimate reason for doing so. I guess if you felt there was illegal activity occurring in the home, it might be justified. Do you know somebody who had a previous experience that would have warranted this ?

Old 01-17-2021, 09:45 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
You want a buyers' agent where you are looking who can find and describe properties for you. You have to identify what you are looking for. Once you have some to see in person, you spend days there looking at the houses. When you find a house you want and agree to purchase, you then hire an inspector.

Hiring a PI is simply silly.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:47 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
This is why we hire home INSPECTORS and not private DETECTIVES. If I were a seller and found out that a potential buyer hired a PI to investigate me and my family I would never sell my home to you. This sounds like a breach of trust and I would strongly advise against doing so unless you had a legitimate reason for doing so. I guess if you felt there was illegal activity occurring in the home, it might be justified. Do you know somebody who had a previous experience that would have warranted this ?
Hire the PI, both the buyers agent AND the inspector have vested interest in not destroying the sale. I also find inspectors to be lazy and just pick up things that are bull.

Or you could hire a second home inspector to give you a second opinion on the first.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
I'm not concerned about the house itself...between our agent, ourselves, and a home inspector, we can uncover the normal issues, if any, with the house and lot.

I guess using "PI" sounds offensive to some. I'm not interested in investigating the owners'/sellers' personal lives/affairs. Why would I be? They won't be living there after they sell the house.

Again, it's the the goings on in the neighborhood at different times of the day and night (parties, loud music, large gatherings, obnoxious vehicles, people running "businesses" from their homes creating traffic, or anything else in the surroundings that may impact quality of life and/or property value) that I, my buyer's agent, or an inspector cannot see during the normal home tour or inspection.

Obviously, one can only do so much research, and a bad neighbor can move in next door down the road, but I've read over and over recommendations that one should check out a property's location (drive by many times day & night, which I cannot do myself) before committing. Hence my asking if I should hire someone to do that for me, and whether anyone else has done so.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:13 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I can see your interest. Agents are not allowed to answer simple questions like “do a lot of kids live next door”? Are the cars in the neighborhood relatively new or fancy? And they would never take the time to determine whether there are people walking around at midnight or if it’s hard to get out of a driveway at 7am. Lots of little things a buyer might want to check if they are nearby. A lot of dog poop in the street? Motorcycles revving at 2 am? Crazed golf cart drivers? Maybe a hired set of eyes and ears would be useful during due diligence.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
He wants to know about the neighborhood not the seller.

Personally I would look at the police crime reports. You can also call and find out if the cops were ever called at the location. You don’t need to hire a PI for this. You can find the sellers name and pay a few bucks get a online background report on the person.

Google street view will le you drive through the neighborhood and see how it really looks.

Best thing to do is hire YOUR own home inspector. I used a agent suggested inspector...what a load. Guy was worthless. When I hired my own inspector...that guy worked fir me not the agent. At one house he took me aside and said I’ll call you later. First thing he said was don’t buy that house.

In fact get your own loan agent. You’ll probably get a better rate or at least everyone will be on notice you have options if you have a few different loan agencies work for your business.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:52 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Has anyone hired a private investigator to vet a property before making a purchase offer?

I'm asking because (a) we're house-hunting from afar, and (b) even if we were right there, I can't imagine being able to dig as deep as a professional would (nor would I want to, really).

Checking out the house itself is no problem (we're working with a realtor and we would get an inspection). It's what goes on in the neighborhood I'm interested in knowing more about -- those things people recommend you look into by going by the property at all hours of the day & night and maybe trying to talk with some neighbors.

Even to myself, hiring a PI sounds a bit extreme, but since it's been on my mind, I figured I'd ask. Thanks!
Not really that odd.

I mean, before I bought my ranch I......hired a pilot to take me over it on a photo reconnaissance run.

Would it be extreme to have someone do an ARCGIS research on a property? Certainly something I would ask for. Further, with my varied background, I have learned to things about history, such as be wary of farmland that once grew cotton.......for arsenic may have been used rather heavily (no puns intended) there.

One might consult with their lawyer before buying......and a lawyer I have worked for at least once wanted me to observe a location. Further, it would not surprise me if my father had a PI looking over my shoulder; he worked with those people, he thought that way. Shrug, just something I learned when I was in the intelligence world......live your life as if you always are under surveillance.....because you probably are.

To my world, with my background, it doesn't seem that out of place.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:01 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Drive around the neighborhood a few times at night. If you are not nearby, don't buy till you can do this. Stay in a motel for a month while you look for a home.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:23 AM

169 posts, read 182,192 times
See if there is a Facebook Community page for either that city/town or even that particular neighborhood. Join that and ask questions. Read and get a feel for how the locals behave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate