Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2021, 07:46 AM

251 posts, read 1,531,616 times

Advertisements

Hello
I had a leak in the house and restoration company threw out a cabinet and countertop due to damage. They don't make that cabinet anymore. Im thinking insurance company should pay for replacement of all cabinets and countertops so they are a match again. Adjuster doesnt agree wants the conservative route and instead says cabinet can be custom built again and says all other cabinets can be sanded and repainted to match.

Whose in the right here? what if contractor cant find same door designs and kitchen doesn't turn out exactly matching like it did before? I appreciate any feedback thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 09:07 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
nope. It doesn't have to match. I had my roof and copper gutters replaced due to a hailstorm. I used the same "matching" argument with USAA to get the downspouts replaced, as they were 40 years old and beautifully patina-d. Didn't happen. I had to pay for them myself.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:14 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
When you damage your fender insurance doesn't pay to repaint the whole car.

When you damage some carpet insurance doesn't pay to replace all the carpet in the house.

Same goes for cabinets. Insurance is only obliged to pay for the damaged item, not a kitchen full of cabinets.

Here's what your policy says under Loss Settlement:

Buildings covered under Coverage A or B at replacement cost without deduction for depreciation, subject to the following:
a. If, at the time of loss, the amount of insurance in this policy on the damaged building is 80% or more of the full replacement cost of the building immediately before the loss, we will pay the cost to repair or replace, after application of any deductible and without deduction for depreciation, but not more than the least of the following amounts:
(1) The limit of liability under this policy that applies to the building;
(2) The replacement cost of that part of the building damaged with material of like kind and quality and for like use.

Your adjuster is in the right. Though you might ask about refacing the remaining cabinets with doors that match the new cabinet.

Bottom line, you're not going to get a whole new kitchen out of this.

Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Bottom line, you're not going to get a whole new kitchen out of this.
At least not if the OP is unwilling to pay for the difference out of pocket when the contractor hired does the job. I agree with adjusterjack on this.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:14 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
The insurance company is willing to pay for a custom built cabinet. The new door and old doors will match since it's being custom built. It's not a matter of finding a matching door. It will be built to match.

They are repainting all cabinets to match. That seems very reasonable to me. You'll end up with newly painted cabinets--something which can cost quite a bit to do.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:26 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
If they are agreeing to sand and repaint all the cabinets AND have a cabinet custom built, your insurance company is a keeper. Just say Thank you and make sure you pay your premiums on time.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:50 PM

251 posts, read 1,531,616 times
Ok thx for the inputs.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:19 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The insurance company is willing to pay for a custom built cabinet. The new door and old doors will match since it's being custom built. It's not a matter of finding a matching door. It will be built to match.

They are repainting all cabinets to match. That seems very reasonable to me. You'll end up with newly painted cabinets--something which can cost quite a bit to do.
Agree. You are to be left in the same condition as when you had the loss, and that will happen.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
I had a small kitchen fire that severely burned one of the formica countertops. The backsplash had matching formica.

What I learned was that there is generally a formula. Replacing these should cost X. Never mind that you can't replace these for X.

My insurance agent stood up for me with the adjuster, and they paid the cost to have both the countertops and backsplash replaced per the quote I got from Home Depot. They couldn't give me the name of a company that would replace it for their original offer.

However, I paid in the long run. My rates went up 25% for 3 years. I was also moved to a deductible that was 2% of the replacement cost insurance so instead of $500 deductible, I had $2000+ as it got higher every year.

Picturing myself eventually living on a fixed income, I got the insurance company to freeze the deductible at 2k for yet another higher premium but the surcharge dropped off.

You may win but you will lose.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate