Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 08:15 AM

410 posts, read 399,217 times

Advertisements

With areas in the West having 30% increase in demand and 50% drop in inventory then coupled with eviction bans. How could prices not see a substantial drop in the nearish future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 09:31 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
And if all Realtors had a crystal ball they could predict market changes and would all be rich. Then there is reality.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:54 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Wait . . . so you're saying demand is way up and supply is way down and you expect prices to DROP? That defies the laws of economics. Can you clarify what your question is?

Old 01-22-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Wait . . . so you're saying demand is way up and supply is way down and you expect prices to DROP? That defies the laws of economics. Can you clarify what your question is?
Well here in Phoenix inventory is low because 30% of properties aren't paying rent (probably higher now, this was December numbers) or mortgage yet are banned from being evicted. At some point those eviction and mortgage deferments will end. What happens then. Supply is down not due to market forces.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:17 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
With areas in the West having 30% increase in demand and 50% drop in inventory then coupled with eviction bans. How could prices not see a substantial drop in the nearish future.

You need to repeat that Econ class again.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:44 AM

899 posts, read 540,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You need to repeat that Econ class again.
I can see where the poster is coming from. His question isn't about today's supply or demand but tomorrow's. How much is today's rise in prices driven by temporary factors (a sharp decline in listings) and how much are the prices artificially inflated due to it rather than other longer lasting economic factors.

This time next year the vaccine/herd immunity should be well underway and that will, one thinks, restore some normality to the real estate market. If the volume of listings return to a norm, will it result in a decline in prices?

Personally, I think no. But it is a fair question to ask.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
I can see where the poster is coming from. His question isn't about today's supply or demand but tomorrow's. How much is today's rise in prices driven by temporary factors (a sharp decline in listings) and how much are the prices artificially inflated due to it rather than other longer lasting economic factors.

This time next year the vaccine/herd immunity should be well underway and that will, one thinks, restore some normality to the real estate market. If the volume of listings return to a norm, will it result in a decline in prices?

Personally, I think no. But it is a fair question to ask.
Yes this is what I meant, better worded haha. But yeah what happens when these evictions stays run out and people start to be forced out. Will the homed be bought up/rented out again quickly at current market rates or will there be too much supply and a drop.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:54 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I wonder myself when the moratorium is lifted on foreclosures what that will do to the market. Sooner or later the crap is going to hit the fan. One can only look to the melt down in 2009 to see if it mirrors what will happen in the near future. The CBO estimates that this disaster will take ten years to recover from.

All I know is I hope the rental flip sells fast. We should be on the market in about another month.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:42 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Yes this is what I meant, better worded haha. But yeah what happens when these evictions stays run out and people start to be forced out. Will the homed be bought up/rented out again quickly at current market rates or will there be too much supply and a drop.

OK Fair enough... I don't predict the percentage of foreclosures will be that high, at least in this area.

Time will tell!

Old 01-22-2021, 01:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,724,157 times
There are several variables here when we talk about rentals, lack of evictions, housing supply, etc.

For one thing, it's my opinion that rentals are far more common in multi-unit buildings than they are in single family homes. I suppose that it depends upon the area, but I would think that rentals in single family homes would make up only a small percentage of the overall residential rental market. Further, I would think that people who do rent single family homes probably have better jobs and a more stable income than those who rent apartments and therefore are more likely to be up to date on their rent and less likely to be affected by the shutdowns that have heavily affected the restaurant and hospitality businesses.

Second, when the Covid situation does wane and things start to return to a more normal state, I would think there will be even more demand for single family houses, not less. And this greater demand is only going to push single family housing prices one way... UP.

The only thing that I can foresee that might put a damper on housing prices in the next few years is rising mortgage interest rates, but I expect that to be very gradual and slow since the Chairman of the Fed has all but promised very low interest rates for the next few years.

One other thing that might negatively affect housing prices in SOME areas is the outward migration of people from the large urban centers, but this would serve only to increase the housing prices in the suburbs and the more "tax friendly" states. In other words, you can expect a migration from Blue to Red areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate