Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 PM

162 posts, read 209,212 times

Advertisements

We were talking about construction quality and a realtor remarked that she feels that houses built in the 1980s don't seem to be as well constructed around here (in MA). I know that corners have always been cut and that every builder is different. That said, in your experiences, were homes in your area built less well during a particular decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
We were talking about construction quality and a realtor remarked that she feels that houses built in the 1980s don't seem to be as well constructed around here (in MA). I know that corners have always been cut and that every builder is different. That said, in your experiences, were homes in your area built less well during a particular decade?
My opinion: Houses built after 1960 seem to be poorly constructed compared to those built in earlier decades. I think this is true for tracts homes and large developments. These are purely money-making ventures--less incentive to build quality. Most recently built houses also seem to have a lot less style.

Of course, when someone custom builds, the quality/style can be much better.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
When we were buying our house in 2012, the inspector commented on how well it had been built (it's from 1959) and the quality of the lumber used. He said that most of what he sees from the 90s onwards (in this area at least) is "built with matchsticks" in comparison.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:48 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquecartas View Post
I would agree with your agent. Homes built in MA in the 80's were generally of poor quality. Many houses into the 90's were not much better.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
First decade of the 2000s when prices were rising and builders were slapping together houses at breakneck speed cutting corners and installing substandard products and finishes (Chinese drywall) just to get one finished and move quickly on to the next one.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:20 AM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
My opinion: Houses built after 1960 seem to be poorly constructed compared to those built in earlier decades. I think this is true for tracts homes and large developments. These are purely money-making ventures--less incentive to build quality. Most recently built houses also seem to have a lot less style. .
Sure because before 1960, homes were built with no profit motive, only the noblest of motives.

FYI many run down blighted junk suburbia of today was built before the 60s.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
It's all relative.

I'm in MA and build quality varies within every decade. The 1980's seems to have a lower quality because more homes were built, no different than the post war capes/ranches ... they built them fast and cheap to satisfy middle class demand. This said, there are plenty of 1970's/80's/90's homes in MA that were built to a very high standard, but they are a minority.

Also, tread carefully. My parents late 50's home was built to an incredibly high standard and is, from a construction standpoint, superior to my 1980's home. 12" spacing on joists, solid old growth subfloors, plaster walls, beautiful masonry work, 16" foundation, etc. It's a beautiful home. This said, they likely spend 40% more energy costs for home a 800sqft less space than I do for my home, which has cathedral ceilings and tons massive casements with failed seals.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:53 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
I suppose it varies from town to town. In Williamsburg, the homes built in the 1980s seem to have better quality. I think that may be because most of them were custom built. It's the homes built in the 90's that seem to have the problems. The 1960's tract homes were cheaply built because it was not a wealthy town at that time. By the 1980s wealthy people were moving in, and home quality went up (at least, as far as I can tell).

Old 02-24-2017, 08:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
In Dallas, the 2000's are the worst construction. The 80's were built very well. The early 90's have some 80's influence, and the rest of the 90's is ok, but once 2000 hit and the boom was going on, those houses are glued together and much worse construction than earlier.

I see about the same thing in Austin. Construction is getting better as the builders have slowed down.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 AM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
The house I grew up in was built in the 50s in an established part of NE Denver and it had amazing construction and detail. There were issues with the iron pipes though. The first house we bought was built in 1980 and it was basically a cookie cutter crap box. There wasn't a single straight, plumb or 90-degree angle wall in the place. Second house we went into was built in 1975 and its construction was much better framing-wise but due to concerns with the low service electrical and aluminum to copper wiring, we ended up pulling sheetrock room by room, and installing new copper Romex throughout the house. We could have gone an easier route to fix it, but it gave us opportunities to gut the house's non load-bearing walls and change some of the interior layout which turned out to be profitable in the end.

Builders haven't slowed down here in the Front Range area and so there is a lot of slap it up mentality going on, though because of really cool new building materials out there they look just beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate