Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,209,968 times

Advertisements

The appraiser will be coming tomorrow. Will he tell us what the house is appraised for? We will be moving what we have packed to our motorhome. Anything else I need to be ready for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 10:35 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
No he won't have an answer until he researches comps and writes his report. It may be a few days to a week.

The report will not automatically be shared with you unless it is low and they want to renegotiate. If you ask, though, they may send it to you. The appraisal actually belongs to buyer, not seller.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:20 AM

The appraiser was here and gone in about 30 minutes. I watched him drive around the neighborhood I guess looking at the comp homes. He may have been rushing to beat some storms that are coming. Now the waiting game begins.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:24 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Evaluating the neighborhood and how your home stacks up.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2021, 04:10 AM

The buyer checked with his VA agent and was told that everything was progressing and we may close earlier than planned. He has not heard anything about the appraisal yet. They went back home to pack up their stuff.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The bad news was the time it takes to close. A conventional loan could have only taken a little over two weeks to close where a VA loan will take 45 days to close. But the VA loan may have worked out to be good. I will be moving from Gulf Coast Alabama to NW Arkansas who has been getting a lot of COLD temperatures and snow that I don't want to jump into right away. If we had the conventional loan we would be getting up there next week during the coldest weather they have had all winter.

Here is another question my wife and I are disagreeing on. How much do flower beds weigh in on the appraisal? She wants to spruce them up and I don't. The buyer's has already mentioned they want to plant something different in them. Plus it has been raining just about every day.
Yeah, I'm HIGHLY skeptical about that claim.

...But there's a lingering myth that VA loans take forever to close. And that's simply not the case.

How Long Does it Take to Close a VA Loan?
Most VA loans close in 40 to 50 days, which is standard for the mortgage industry regardless of the type of financing.

In fact, dig into the numbers a bit and you don't find much difference between VA and conventional loans.

For the first three months of 2019, the average conventional purchase loan closed in 47 days, compared to 49 days for VA loans, according to Ellie Mae

https://www.veteransunited.com/reale...of%20financing.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:13 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
The inspection won't be any different than any other inspection. It will be thorough, and depending on the buyer and what is found, they may or may not ask for you to do something about problems or defects that are found and other factors we can't know about the situation. It's a negotiation between you. Hopefully both sides are reasonable.

The VA appraisal process has a reputation for being more particular than others, and that's only partly fair. They will flag peeling paint, bad roofs, or missing smoke alarms, but so will any appraisal. If your house is reasonably well maintained and priced at market value, you shouldn't have serious problems.
I agree. We have a VA loan on our house. I would rather something wrong be remedied before closing than unhappiness after.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:15 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
No he won't have an answer until he researches comps and writes his report. It may be a few days to a week.

The report will not automatically be shared with you unless it is low and they want to renegotiate. If you ask, though, they may send it to you. The appraisal actually belongs to buyer, not seller.
We have sold a few homes and were never allowed to know what the house appraised for.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I agree. We have a VA loan on our house. I would rather something wrong be remedied before closing than unhappiness after.
The buyer asked his VA agent about an inspection and he was told it was not required with a house only 5 years old. As the seller everything works now just like it did 5 years ago.

We are both waiting on the appraisal which will setup the schedule for the closing. It has been three full business days now.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:01 AM

383 posts, read 384,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The buyer asked his VA agent about an inspection and he was told it was not required with a house only 5 years old. As the seller everything works now just like it did 5 years ago.

We are both waiting on the appraisal which will setup the schedule for the closing. It has been three full business days now.
By "his VA agent" do you mean the buyer's loan officer? The loan officer probably told him a home inspection is not required for his loan because they never are regardless of the home's age. However, as someone getting ready to make the biggest purchase of his life, he absolutely should have a home inspection performed on your house! The VA does not guarantee the condition of the home so if there are problems with the house after he closes, there is no recourse for the buyer other than to pay to fix them himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate