Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 03:13 PM

17,171 posts, read 21,830,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
In case anyone is wondering who IS the ACTUAL richest woman in the world (cause this thread got me to wondering.)

Francoise Bettencourt Meyers

1. Francoise Bettencourt Meyers. With a total fortune of $71.8 billion, Francoise Bettencourt Meyers becomes the earth's wealthiest woman. Her family holds 33% of L'Oréal stock recently reported to have had marvelous growth within the past decades.

I wonder what the Bezos ex-wife is worth? Stock keeps rising so she might be able to surpass Meyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 03:14 PM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Oh I don’t know. How did the richest woman in the world get her money?
I don't know, or care, but we're talking about a successful Hollywood actress who had a career for 10 years BEFORE she got married, appearing in dozens of plays, tv shows and movies. Assuming she got her money in a divorce is petty. Apparently, from your post, you thought she just did commercials and married up.

I'm thinking the house she "got" in the divorce was probably paid for in part (or in full as far as we know) by her.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:19 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I don't know, or care, but we're talking about a successful Hollywood actress who had a career for 10 years BEFORE she got married, appearing in dozens of plays, tv shows and movies. Assuming she got her money in a divorce is petty. Apparently, from your post, you thought she just did commercials and married up.

I'm thinking the house she "got" in the divorce was probably paid for in part (or in full as far as we know) by her.
I'd count Elektra against her because the movie was that awful, but yeah, otherwise she's done pretty well. I wish I could buy a place for 7.8 mil to tear it down and build a more expensive home, but I guess to some peeps here it's just chump change.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:28 PM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well, he/she isn't entirely off the mark. When she and Affleck were married, they had a marital home, and when they divorced, she got the house, then sold the house for 32 million.

While she's giving up size and land, compared to her former home, she'll be living in very very tony Brentwood.
Do we have details on who paid how much for the "marital home" in the first place? Do we know how much might have been still owed on the home at the time of the divorce? Do we know what their divorce papers said regarding the distribution of proceeds from that sale? No, we don't. When gossip columns say she "got" the home in the divorce, do they have any actual knowledge of the financial details behind that? People make assumptions that the court awarding physical occupation of the home equates to actual financial ownership of that home. It doesn't. The devil is in the details.

For example: my dad "got" my parents' first home in their divorce 3 years after they purchased it, because my mom was unemployed and couldn't make the mortgage payments. Unfortunately for him he never requested her to sign a quitclaim on the deed. When he sold it 30+ years later, he was forced to negotiate with my mom for a settlement, or she could have claimed half the proceeds of the sale of the now paid off home in L.A., which sold for 4 times the original purchase price.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Quote:
She couldn't possibly have earned it in her 20+ year acting career, or her other business ventures. She's a woman, so you assume she got her money from a man. Brilliant.
Alias, production company, and so on.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:33 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,263,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I wonder what the Bezos ex-wife is worth? Stock keeps rising so she might be able to surpass Meyers.
She gave away half of the money she got from Jeff, therefore, she’s no longer the richest woman anymore. If she didn’t give away half her money, she would still be the richest woman in the world.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:39 PM

6,009 posts, read 3,263,833 times
Quote:

Not sure why you and others got so defensive on my initial post. I was unaware that she was in a lot of shows or movies, I haven’t seen many of those. I must not be her demographic? I think I’ve seen her in maybe a handful of movies at best.

Regardless, Affleck is more accomplished than her. I’ve seen him in dozens of movies. He’s worth more, I’m sure he had to pay out in the settlement.

So she gained some wealth from the divorce. Why so angry that I stated the obvious?

Old 02-01-2021, 07:02 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,820,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
This is very common in the Westside of L.A.. Happens all the time.
Fixed it for you.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:08 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
She gave away half of the money she got from Jeff, therefore, she’s no longer the richest woman anymore. If she didn’t give away half her money, she would still be the richest woman in the world.
She did it in an amazing way. She gave away huge sums, she didn't talk to them first, she did her own vetting, and she gave it all at once, and with NO restrictions. This is unheard of in the charity grant business.

Hopefully, this concept will spread.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 AM

32,009 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Well, she's got three kids, including two teenagers, and 3200 sf is not exactly huge. I can see how they could use a little more elbow room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate