Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 10:26 AM

14 posts, read 11,797 times

Advertisements

In the area I'm located, the townhouse development built the garages and parking spots in the back of the homes. I know of 2 neighbors who park their big ass trucks (they both only have the 1 vehicle) in the visitor spots out front (which are limited) instead of parking in their garage and the 2 spaces assigned to their home in the back where it is well lit. Thoughts?

Personally I would rather park my vehicle in my garage out of the elements instead of parking in a visitor spot where it is not well lit.

I don't get it.

I've noticed other homeowners doing this as well, parking over in the visitor spot instead of their own home.

This is a consistent thing that has been going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 07:21 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
If you're in a townhouse you no doubt have a HOA regime. The Board and managemnet company is who should be handling this. Most HOAs with individual parking for each unit (whether a pad/garage or even assigned spaces) get very irritated with residents who park in visitor spaces, they're put there for a reason and it isn't overflow parking for residents or because residents don't like to use their assigned parking.

It may well be the trucks are too large for the unit spaces but again, that's an issue for the HOA to manage.

Unfortunately many HOA Boards don't like to cite residents because it does cause hard feelings and makes living there, especially in the close quarters of townhouses, more difficult.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you're in a townhouse you no doubt have a HOA regime. The Board and managemnet company is who should be handling this. Most HOAs with individual parking for each unit (whether a pad/garage or even assigned spaces) get very irritated with residents who park in visitor spaces, they're put there for a reason and it isn't overflow parking for residents or because residents don't like to use their assigned parking.

It may well be the trucks are too large for the unit spaces but again, that's an issue for the HOA to manage.

Unfortunately many HOA Boards don't like to cite residents because it does cause hard feelings and makes living there, especially in the close quarters of townhouses, more difficult.
Thank you for your response. I just wanted to get an opinion on this and to see if I was overthinking this. Unfortunately I believe my HOA is just as you stated, don't want to get involved and are pretty much non existent.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:29 AM

663 posts, read 434,147 times
Without seeing the whole situation some pure guesses are:
  • Depending on the garage size, the truck may not fit. Many people use their garage as storage space rather than a place to park their vehicle so that may be another issue.
  • As to parking in the back vs front the size of the vehicle could also be an issue there if the parking spots are smaller or the ability to move around or back up the vehicle is limited.
  • Solution: Ask your neighbors if your visitors can use their spaces in the back of the building if there is no visitor parking due to their use of a visitor space.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
Without seeing the whole situation some pure guesses are:
  • Depending on the garage size, the truck may not fit. Many people use their garage as storage space rather than a place to park their vehicle so that may be another issue.
  • As to parking in the back vs front the size of the vehicle could also be an issue there if the parking spots are smaller or the ability to move around or back up the vehicle is limited.
  • Solution: Ask your neighbors if your visitors can use their spaces in the back of the building if there is no visitor parking due to their use of a visitor space.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-31-2020, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We have a two-car garage, but my F150 will not fit in it. Well, actually it would barely fit with the mirrors folded, but I would not be able to get out of it. It may be that the assigned outdoor spaces are narrow, and they are worried about getting dinged by someone's door opening, and perhaps the visitor spots are wider. More likely, though, the visitor spots are just more convenient.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:43 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Most townhouse garages barely fit a Mini Cooper, much less an F-150. It may very well be that your neighbor's trucks don't fit in their garages.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have a two-car garage, but my F150 will not fit in it. Well, actually it would barely fit with the mirrors folded, but I would not be able to get out of it. It may be that the assigned outdoor spaces are narrow, and they are worried about getting dinged by someone's door opening, and perhaps the visitor spots are wider. More likely, though, the visitor spots are just more convenient.
I get that some vehicles may not fit which would explain why the garage isn't being used, but that still leaves 2 extra spaces on their property which has ample space between the next neighbor.

I guess I'm placing too much thought into this, but it really takes away from visitors who really need the spots. Unfortunately, our HOA is non-existent.

Thank you for the feedback.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Most townhouse garages barely fit a Mini Cooper, much less an F-150. It may very well be that your neighbor's trucks don't fit in their garages.
Possibly, appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:59 AM
AZ8

111 posts, read 80,488 times
Or they have toys in the garage.....atv’s, side by sides, utility trailer, boat....etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate