Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 12:47 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Breakfast nooks traditionally have a trestle table and seating like church pews. Not chairs or a round table.

The space looks a lot better with the benches, but in all, the layout is odd. It looks like a space the architect didn't know what else to do with. The window looks off-center, one corner of the room is dog-eared for lack of a better term, and there's a sharp cornered wall at the right.

So put me down for hate it--and I'm a person who likes nooks and crannies.
Good point about a trestle table. That's the only way I could envision this space being usable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 12:49 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The first photo has a poorly chosen table in it, and accentuates the smallness of the space.
A long narrower table between the built-ins with no chairs would look better and function much better.
I came here to say the same thing. The wrong table (and why chairs) is in that space. Long rectangular table and cushions would make it a much nicer space. For the second photo, that's still the wrong table for the space.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:01 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
I'm not fond of built-ins that require me to use an entire room a certain way. I find I often use space differently than perhaps others would. Also, the banquet makes that room feel horribly cramped. That said, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker, just one of the first things that would go.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:07 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I prefer photo 2.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:22 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Breakfast nooks traditionally have a trestle table and seating like church pews. Not chairs or a round table.

The space looks a lot better with the benches, but in all, the layout is odd. It looks like a space the architect didn't know what else to do with. The window looks off-center, one corner of the room is dog-eared for lack of a better term, and there's a sharp cornered wall at the right.

So put me down for hate it--and I'm a person who likes nooks and crannies.
Note how in the second picture that awkward off-centeredness is less noticeable. With areas like that it is best to have flexibility of moving things around and the built ins don't allow for that.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:26 PM

111 posts, read 90,811 times
Thanks for the input. Your responses really tickled me! I had a good laugh.
Probably as a result of following lots of interior design themed instagram accounts, I was really into having a banquette (not this specific one and not a deal breaker but I was into them). I started having doubts when I got some second opinion on this specific banquette. I got more doubts when I started browsing for a table that would fit that space and there's very little choices given the specific size. So i wanted opinions from more people, which is why i made this post. I appreciate you guys thought. It's good to have a sense check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
If the rest of the house is equally compartmentalized, that would be a deal breaker for me. I enjoy open spaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Photo 1 - Hate it. Not a real fan of the flooring but I saw that style in a lot of rehabs. Seems to be the current fad and will probably fall out of favor in a few years.

Photo 2 - Like it. And the flooring will probably always be in vogue with the majority of home buyers.
The rest of the house has some questionable features and some redeeming qualities. It has an open floor plan, meaning the downstairs, other than the kitchen is separated by a pony wall/counter, is just one big open space. You can put a 6-person dining table and some sofas. I personally like the open floor plan, but probably not great for WFH since there's like, no separate rooms downstairs. The issue with the floor plan is the 2 secondary bedrooms are small in comparison to other houses of the similar size. The owner built a drawer in the middle of a small sliding door closet with shelves on both side. The backyard is entirely paved with cement and tiles, which I like but I can see that's gonna turn off a lot of people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I think you're trying to get a feel for what it would be like to re-sell the house but what about you living there? Is the everyday eating area important to you and how would you feel about eating in this area? Re-sale is an important consideration but your comfort is also important. Keep us posted. We love pictures
This is such a good question. I have not thought about this. I'm used to eating all 3 meals at the breakfast area, and spend a lot of time sitting there. I can't imagine the banquette being too comfortable because of no back support. Maybe bench cushion and throw pillows might help. The banquette has openings on top for storage, which probably make me feel less inclined to sit there, depending on how flimsy the construction it is. I'm having some serious doubts about the banquette now haha. Personally I would want to be able to eat my meals in the breakfast area, given it's right next to the kitchen.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:39 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It looks fine to me. It's not what I would have in my own house, not either one of them. The second one is stark and uninviting and the placement of ornaments on the walls is out of balance and just weird. Neither one would stop me from buying the house.

If there is anywhere else to eat in the house, I'd convert that tiny strange place into a pantry. There is never enough storage space in kitchens.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:44 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Adding: the round table might not be traditional, but it is easy to get around and the bench and table top seem to be placed the right distance for eating off the table.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:48 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Note how in the second picture that awkward off-centeredness is less noticeable. With areas like that it is best to have flexibility of moving things around and the built ins don't allow for that.
Part of it is the lighting. With a different light fixture, the odd corner might stand out more.

The window also looks straight into the neighbor's house. It's a thumbs down for me--even though I love built-ins.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:59 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
The only kind of banquette I like is the kind that's part of the kitchen island, like this:

And that's just for eat in kitchen, not the actual dining room or dining space.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this banquette in breakfast nook cozy or cramped?-ban.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate