U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 08:07 AM
Status: "Samantha Markle was right all along about Meghan :D" (set 1 day ago)

21,969 posts, read 10,238,153 times

Advertisements

I'd probably go with the gated community, but just caution to not let being enclosed provide you with a false sense of security. Gated communities provide some protection from those outside of the community (I write "some protection" as many gated communities aren't all that secure from outsiders either), but don't do anything about the threat from within the community.

I believe that townhouses/single family homes are probably the safest in this regard as they allow for more nosey neighbors to be keeping an eye out to the comings and goings in the area High rise apartment living, no one is generally waiting outside in the hallways. That said, my preference for living is in a high rise apartment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 08:44 AM

2,484 posts, read 876,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I live in one of those right now sort of. In my case, I have multiple residents coming and going at all times in the evening. One guy gets home around 10:11, another one goes to work around midnight if somebody else comes home at one somebody goes to work at two, and so on. And it’s not like you can set your watch by it.

Consequently, when it’s really quiet I find it creepy.
It's always pretty quiet in my neighborhood, even with a neighborhood watering hole several doors down.

My schedule is rather unpredictable these days and the majority of my non-retiree neighbors are working from home, so there are always "eyes" at home on my street. It also helps that the police station is blocks away and the local cops cruise the neighborhood with some frequency.

One thing that I can say about the Pittsburgh metro is that with a few notable exceptions, most violent crimes are personal in nature, rather than random occurrences. Reasonable caution is still recommended no matter where one lives, but I feel safer in a single family residence than I would in an apartment building given the more transient nature of the people who tend to live in such housing and the fact that it's far more difficult to really get to know one's neighbors. I lived in two rougher neighborhoods as a young woman living alone and never felt unsafe as pretty much all of the local residents kept an eye on one another.

Colored by memories of a guy who stalked me when I was living in a college dorm, I also don't like the idea that it's far too easy for someone with ill intentions to easily charm his way into an apartment building. Sure, no house is impregnable, but at least I have some measure of control as to who enters the door(s) of my house as opposed to some ignorant fellow apartment-dwelling neighbors either inadvertently leaving a door propped open or letting someone talk their way into the building. (Buildings with doormen or a front desk person are uncommon here; those that are available are far above my price point.)

Even when I was a renter, I always lived in neighborhoods with a mix of renters and owners--partially out of preference and partially out of safety concerns. Observant neighbors and as mentioned, a bark-y dog are excellent, if not foolproof, deterrents to crime.

Old 02-06-2021, 10:49 AM

13,504 posts, read 7,220,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Like many people, we've been spending a lot of our Quarantine time watching tv in general, Netflix and Amazon Prime in particular. One of the more delightful programs we're watching is Night Stalker, about the creep in Los Angeles back in the '80s.

The film showing him opening ground-floor windows and sneaking inside the house made me wonder about where it's safe for a single woman to live. Attacks happen with other family members present, too, but too many of us ladies are vulnerable. ........
Hmmmmm.....

NO, I DON'T.

I don't go into for such things, even if I did have such access for one must remember, such things are designed to stir up the emotions while being questionable of how they present the facts.

I don't need to watch such "entertainment" for it is not entertaining to me and also, my lines of work provide me with a TON of information of how they work. Take, for instance, that reference made to the film. Reminds me of the 2 parter Hazelwood and Burgess did in the FBI law enforcement journal in the 80s on the serial rapist. One of the case histories had a man who was so meticulous, so detailed in how he covered his approach, covered his tracks, one just learns how to conduct their lives, how to change them.

It was back then when I got introduced to that world, for example, that I started how often I check in with others. It is now to the point that I send awake signals and landing signals to friends daily.

That said........two things.

First, when I was in the apartments, that was camouflage security. Those apartments had such a low reputation that their nickname was "something ghetto", hence as a place to knock over, why bother? Who lived there who had money, something to steal? When I had to move out of the apartments and display all I had, then I went off and bought a great big safe!

Secondly, there is my prowess, everything I have built up over the decades which essentially sends out vibes of "No, not that one, someone else!". It works but I am probably rated as unfriendly, hostile, unapproachable.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-06-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 02-06-2021, 11:37 AM

15,740 posts, read 23,683,770 times
Default Some people say...

1. A nunnery.
2. A minimum-security federal prison for women.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:38 PM

2,224 posts, read 900,119 times
I don't think anywhere is going to be 100 percent safe. Eliminating stalkers from the equation and just trying to be safe from burglars there are lots of things that can be done to make a home safer. Particularly if you own your own home and are not poor. Decorative bars over windows. Alarm systems. Cameras (which don't seem to deter porch pirates. Fences with locking gates. Dogs.

Don't get a dog that will bark over every leaf that blows by, but a dog that will only bark when there's a reason. I have a long private road with a neighbor that has an easement. My dog knew the sounds of my car, my husband's, the neighbors three vehicles. If a visitor drove up the road he would wake from a dead sleep to bark and look out the window. A dog that yaps over everything is like the boy that cried wolf.

Solid doors, dead bolts, window bars that fit in the track to keep them from opening. Motion lights. Don't have doggie doors that a child can fit through because a burglar isn't above sending in a little kid thru it to open the door. I am probably missing things. That said, it won't stop somewhere that is crazy, that will break out a window or take a chainsaw to the house.

I have no problems with guns for self defense. I just think it's better to prevent things getting to that point.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 PM

13,239 posts, read 19,593,649 times
A place with a gun.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:36 AM

6,720 posts, read 5,308,072 times
Thoughts are keep your windows closed and locked, get real locks for the doors, do not give the key to anyone, call it a day.

Problem with condos is there is a universal key, thus possible for someone to just unlock and come in.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:40 AM

6,720 posts, read 5,308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I saw a professional burglar interviewed on "Oprah" once. They showed video of different houses and he said how he'd get in. When asked about the one thing that would stop him most times, he said, "A barking dog." He said he didn't have to fear being bitten or attacked, just that noise would point him out and he'd rather go onto another target home.
Overall it is too much attention, which leads into making your home a hard target. All a person needs to do is make the house look a bit more of a hassle to break in than most of the other homes around.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:51 AM

10,934 posts, read 9,953,971 times
The neighborhood in which the residence is located, but the price of a residence will generally reflect this, no matter what you choose.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:57 AM

8,108 posts, read 3,775,405 times
Ramirez went through windows left open due to the extremely hot temperatures in Southern California that year. If anything about the type of residence one chooses could have prevented that, I would say to choose a place with AC, lol.

Ironically he was stopped when he ran into East LA, which is one of the toughest neighborhoods in the country & tried to victimize their women. Big mistake. One woman's husband cracked him in the head with a metal bar & the whole neighborhood ganged up on him & held him until the police arrived. Maybe move to a rough neighborhood and make good friends of your neighbors? Just kidding, not a good idea

But seriously, Ramirez was only an alpha predator in the "nice, safe" neighborhoods. He was in over his head in East LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate