U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 12:37 PM

2,260 posts, read 980,043 times

Advertisements

Interesting story about Ramirez and kudos to East LA! A lot of people living there, just can’t afford to move to a better area, doesn’t mean they are all lowlife’s. At least that was my impression when I lived in LA.

Condos and apartments have higher windows so someone can’t climb in, but danger could lurk in stairwells, elevators and parking garages. A gated community with 300k homes, will be noisy with a lot of people coming and going. A community where houses run 900k and up, is likely to be much quieter and a fifteen year old car with three people in their twenties riding around, would be noticed a lot faster than someone in an Audi or Mercedes.

So buying the best you can afford, then increasing safety with locks, lighting, dogs and so on is going to help a lot. Maybe pepper spray for those walks into the parking garage, especially late at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 08:27 AM

1,817 posts, read 632,209 times
A non-ground floor apartment in an apartment building with a doorman

Old 02-12-2021, 08:06 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,784,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
... One guy gets home around 10:11
Could you be a little bit more precise?

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,743,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Like many people, we've been spending a lot of our Quarantine time watching tv in general, Netflix and Amazon Prime in particular. One of the more delightful programs we're watching is Night Stalker, about the creep in Los Angeles back in the '80s.

The film showing him opening ground-floor windows and sneaking inside the house made me wonder about where it's safe for a single woman to live. Attacks happen with other family members present, too, but too many of us ladies are vulnerable.

Are you better off in a high-rise apartment or townhouse? A townhouse community? A gated community?

I like to worry about things. Any thoughts?
I was a scared little kid when this nut was on the loose. And I lived in Southern California (still do actually) at the time, so I was very familiar with this guy’s crimes. I used to be scared at nighttime. And my fear was heightened because my mother was so nonchalant about closing windows and locking up the house tightly at night. She’d leave her bedroom sliding glass door unlocked and tell me I was overreacting. She’d leave windows open, too. Looking back, I was the responsible one even though I was only 11-12 years old.
Anyways, if I were a female, I’d want to live around more people, either in a gated/secure apartment/condo or in a house with roommates or other people. Having additional eyes and ears nearby is an effective deterrent;plus, it increases your chances of getting help in an emergency. Living alone in a big house would leave you a bit more vulnerable. However, having a dog or two as well as maybe an alarm and/or security cameras would offset much of the risk.

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,743,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Interesting story about Ramirez and kudos to East LA! A lot of people living there, just can’t afford to move to a better area, doesn’t mean they are all lowlife’s. At least that was my impression when I lived in LA.

Condos and apartments have higher windows so someone can’t climb in, but danger could lurk in stairwells, elevators and parking garages. A gated community with 300k homes, will be noisy with a lot of people coming and going. A community where houses run 900k and up, is likely to be much quieter and a fifteen year old car with three people in their twenties riding around, would be noticed a lot faster than someone in an Audi or Mercedes.

So buying the best you can afford, then increasing safety with locks, lighting, dogs and so on is going to help a lot. Maybe pepper spray for those walks into the parking garage, especially late at night.
Ramirez never killed or attacked in East LA. He always chose more well-to-do areas. One reason is because he liked to steal valuables, so his chances of finding expensive items were higher in wealthier areas. Another reason is because Ramirez knew that he’d likely have a higher chance of himself getting shot or killed if he entered some random house in East LA — because although many decent folks live in the area, there are a lot of roughnecks and gang types in the area as well, folks who wouldn’t think twice about getting violent with some creep sneaking into peoples’ houses.
I think Ramirez knew he’d be safer in certain neighborhoods.

Old Today, 01:33 AM

85 posts, read 24,465 times
In my opinion, the safest areas are always highly educated, family oriented neighborhoods. That tends to be suburbs with growing families. Probably not where a single woman would want to live though.

Old Today, 02:29 AM

18,722 posts, read 26,803,291 times
I've lived alone in all types of situations, including in an airstream trailer on my own property in the country. Drunk guys would pull into my driveway after the bars close and try to get some before they went home to their wives. Sheesh. I'd be yelling, Go Home To Your Wife through the closed door while my dog barked.

I feel safest in an apartment building on an upper floor that only a very agile monkey could get to. That way, I can leave my windows open.

And, being a scaredy cat and a light sleeper, having a dog is everything for me. If she's sleeping soundly, I know I'm safe. She's not a yapper, but whenever anyone knocks on the door, she barks her head off. So, every delivery driver or maintenance guy knows I have a dog in here that will bark.

The creepy thing about apartment buildings or any rental for that matter, is the landlord and maintenance people have keys. I actually had a maintenance guy put a package into my apartment shortly after I moved into this apartment. I was out with my dog. I came home and a package was inside. I LOST it on management, copied the upper management and the owner on an email. He didn't last much longer. So, that can be an issue. I nipped it in the bud here, but you might want to invest in some type of alarm you can use if you leave with your dog, so nobody can sneak in and snoop or worse when you're gone with your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate