Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 11:42 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank0910 View Post
In contract it is clearly written that "Remove existing roof and replacing it with a new one." and same is signed by Seller. We also attached inspection report and roofing estimate by a roofing company which is also signed by seller.

Seller did only patch work. They are not ready to provide what type of work has been done on roof.
If this was written into your contract, then why did you close? Did you go look at the house and see if a new roof was on the entire house? I wouldn't have closed without proof of a new roof. Now you need to speak to a local real estate attorney to see what your realistic options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 12:19 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Anyone can sue for virtually anything, but the odds of this one prevailing are slim from what I am reading here, since the deal is already closed. When you weigh the hassle factor and the cost of a lawyer against the cost of a roof replacement, I'd admit defeat and opt for the roof replacement any day in the week. Lawsuits are painful no matter which side you are on.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:24 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Anyone can sue for virtually anything, but the odds of this one prevailing are slim from what I am reading here, since the deal is already closed. When you weigh the hassle factor and the cost of a lawyer against the cost of a roof replacement, I'd admit defeat and opt for the roof replacement any day in the week. Lawsuits are painful no matter which side you are on.
Agreed with you 100%. Based on what the OP has already said and the general opinion of this community, it doesn't sound like a slam dunk win for the OP. The OP could speak with an attorney if they wish and I will not discourage them. Just have to weigh the potential costs vs. the potential gains.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:33 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Agreed with you 100%. Based on what the OP has already said and the general opinion of this community, it doesn't sound like a slam dunk win for the OP. The OP could speak with an attorney if they wish and I will not discourage them. Just have to weigh the potential costs vs. the potential gains.
Having been through several lawsuits myself for various reasons the biggest "cost" isn't the dollars you shell out to the lawyers, it is the stress of dealing with courts and judges and litigation and negotiation. I guess some people enjoy getting into battles like this but it's not my cup of tea.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
did you have an agent that represented you? You only?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
The OP has "left the Building", I think. It was all over as soon as they said it was a done deal and they had closed on the house. I feel bad for them.

I was a single woman for many years and was taken to the cleaners, so to speak, by many "professionals", promising good work. My husband cannot believe how mistrustful I am until I tell him some of my encounters......lol

Old 02-16-2021, 11:11 PM

354 posts, read 415,175 times
I feel sorry for the OP. He is stuck with replacing the roof. Some people get caught up in the moment. Best of luck to the OP.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
The OP has "left the Building", I think. It was all over as soon as they said it was a done deal and they had closed on the house. I feel bad for them.

I was a single woman for many years and was taken to the cleaners, so to speak, by many "professionals", promising good work. My husband cannot believe how mistrustful I am until I tell him some of my encounters......lol
Yeah, he hasn't been back since his last reply on the 14th.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:11 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ank0910 View Post
In contract it is clearly written that "Remove existing roof and replacing it with a new one." and same is signed by Seller. We also attached inspection report and roofing estimate by a roofing company which is also signed by seller.

Seller did only patch work. They are not ready to provide what type of work has been done on roof.
You should have had your roofer inspect and get receipts before closing. Refused to close until complete. Why didn't you? Sorry. That's on you.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:36 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
OP, I think your agent is partly to blame here. Your agent should have insisted on, first of all, adding in that the repair needed to be done by a "licensed reputable roofing contractor." Also, your agent should have insisted on seeing receipts for the work by the company who did the work, details on what was done, warranty, etc. And all that should have been done before buyer contingencies, if any, were removed. Once contingencies are removed, you are SOL. Sorry, but it's agents like yours that made me want to become a Realtor myself, as too many are in it just to make a buck, rather than look after their clients' best interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate