Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 08:22 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Our agent did tell us that we would have to pay her fee instead of the builder/seller. We have no problem with that (at least my wife does not). Our agent is a friend of our family that we are moving closer to.

Now the issue will be to buy something sight unseen. The builder has two houses available, but they will not last the week. We are over 700 miles away. My brother offered to go look, but they are in the middle of a major winter event right now.
That first line sounds like BS. When I was a homebuilder, some buyers used agents and others did not. Maybe it's different from state to state but I distinctly remember the sales people telling me the money paid to the agent comes from the builder, not the buyer. Sounds like she's trying to pull some BS on you. The commission is reduced but I also believe the work is reduced. Plus it's a great way for an agent to make connects with the builder to sell multiple homes in the same community.

The sales office can likely send you videos. I know all the sales people I worked with had absolutely no problem with that. They want to sell and make money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 09:05 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,214,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
That first line sounds like BS. When I was a homebuilder, some buyers used agents and others did not. Maybe it's different from state to state but I distinctly remember the sales people telling me the money paid to the agent comes from the builder, not the buyer. Sounds like she's trying to pull some BS on you. The commission is reduced but I also believe the work is reduced. Plus it's a great way for an agent to make connects with the builder to sell multiple homes in the same community.

The sales office can likely send you videos. I know all the sales people I worked with had absolutely no problem with that. They want to sell and make money.
We talked with our agent this morning. When she was in touch with the builder a while back she was told they don't normally deal with an agent and that we would have to pay her. We have no problem with that and we asked her how much and she said normally 3%, but we both got the feeling she may reduce it. She was to contact the builder again to get a copy of the contract and how much earnest money it would take to lock this in. She completely understand how everything disappears quickly with the market right now.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:16 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

I believe "the first line," 100%.

Some small builders just don't work with agents.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:11 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,214,139 times
My agent and the builder are working together to get this deal done. The only thing preventing us from signing the contract now is pictures. The weather there is so bad no one can drive there to get the pictures. I know what their other homes look like, but I want to see the lay of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate