Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 10:24 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,214,139 times

Advertisements

We have come across several very nice houses that the builder is selling directly. Our agent is balking at these for some reason. She has not said why? The area is very hot and most of the new houses are being sold early in the building stage. This builder has sold everything that we think we may like before we can look. We were able to look at a few that were pending. I retired from construction and I know a thing or two about what to look for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 09:13 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
My guess is that your "buyer's" agent is balking because the seller is offering a reduced commission.

If she isn't saying why, fire her and get somebody else or deal directly with the builder.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:34 AM

Our agent did tell us that we would have to pay her fee instead of the builder/seller. We have no problem with that (at least my wife does not). Our agent is a friend of our family that we are moving closer to.

Now the issue will be to buy something sight unseen. The builder has two houses available, but they will not last the week. We are over 700 miles away. My brother offered to go look, but they are in the middle of a major winter event right now.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:09 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I would certainly ask the family friend what her reservation is with the builder.
"Did not say why" is not acceptable.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:04 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Now the issue will be to buy something sight unseen. The builder has two houses available, but they will not last the week. We are over 700 miles away. My brother offered to go look, but they are in the middle of a major winter event right now.
Well, it sounds like no one is getting to look at them either and that should by your brother some time to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I would certainly ask the family friend what her reservation is with the builder.
"Did not say why" is not acceptable.
Agreed. I would want to know why your agent is hesitant about you buying from this guy.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Well, it sounds like no one is getting to look at them either and that should by your brother some time to see them.

Agreed. I would want to know why your agent is hesitant about you buying from this guy.
My brother said it would be about a 15 minute drive to one of the houses. The earliest he thinks he can go by is Saturday due to the weather. I hate buying something sight unseen, but if this house is built like the one's that we looked at I think it may be OK. I am mainly concerned with the lot size and layout. My wife is concerned with the cabinets, flooring, etc.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:47 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
My brother said it would be about a 15 minute drive to one of the houses. The earliest he thinks he can go by is Saturday due to the weather. I hate buying something sight unseen, but if this house is built like the one's that we looked at I think it may be OK. I am mainly concerned with the lot size and layout. My wife is concerned with the cabinets, flooring, etc.
Are you going to get a home inspection on it? From my personal experience with new homes, my primary concern would be with the construction standards.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:13 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Our agent did tell us that we would have to pay her fee instead of the builder/seller. We have no problem with that (at least my wife does not). Our agent is a friend of our family that we are moving closer to.

Yeah, maybe not. Do you have a buyer's contract signed? Read it.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:53 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
We have come across several very nice houses that the builder is selling directly. Our agent is balking at these for some reason. She has not said why? The area is very hot and most of the new houses are being sold early in the building stage. This builder has sold everything that we think we may like before we can look. We were able to look at a few that were pending. I retired from construction and I know a thing or two about what to look for.

I've been through this process myself. I bought my house directly from the builder in a new subdivision. I didn't need an agent and dealt directly to the bank on site and got my own real estate lawyer for closing. Everything was done transparently. Choose weekly mortgage payments.

Are they show homes? If so the bonus is higher end finishing. Are you buying with cash?

Look the builder up on BBB website and see if they have had any complaints lodged against them. BBB will investigate any complaint and then decide who wins.

Think about having them build you one to your specs. I've done that. It was rewarding. Pick one that doesn't have any lighting or bath fixtures, appliances, flooring, counter tops or cupboards etc. and pick what you want with the builder's interior design department's wide selection.

I can guess the real estate agent is out some commission here. Think about yourself and not the agent.
If they are a friend of the family they should let you go. Check the contract.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Are you going to get a home inspection on it? From my personal experience with new homes, my primary concern would be with the construction standards.
I retired after 38 years of construction building multi-million dollar apartment/condo/townhomes complexes. The two homes that we looked at were built very good. The builder sent me the specs for the flooring, cabinets, walls, etc. I am sure it will come with a year warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate