Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:54 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times

Advertisements

It will vary depending on type of building, municipal building code, and CCR level of delineation.

Essentially what Webster and WVRedleg said. You need to read and understand CCR's and the building infrastructure before doing something that may impact other units due to the type of construction and when it was built.

We had same issue with a one time attempt at in suite laundry install in the footprint of master bath shower foot print. Building is multi-floor condo, and the owner created a flood (water damage to other units in stack) along with hazard (no way to properly exhaust based on common chase and construction plumbing infrastructure. It was before I lived here but facility manager explained it to me when I inquired.

When I was on our board, a unit owner asked to do what you are describing. He wanted to tap into plumbing from large walk in closet to the bathroom to create a wet sink / vanity. Sort of like those hotels that have that layout.

Based on our building plumbing structure and Code it was a no go. Best to buy a unit with configuration you desire. Now if you live in free standing cluster type condo structure with no shared common chase I don't think it would matter as I can't imagine why an HOA would have CCR's that regulate the type of internal improvement you described, as it would be within your walls and not interdependent on other units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 09:01 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
It will vary depending on type of building, municipal building code, and CCR level of delineation.

When I was on our board, a unit owner asked to do what you are describing. He wanted to tap into plumbing from large walk in closet to the bathroom to create a wet sink / vanity. Sort of like those hotels that have that layout.

Based on our building plumbing structure and Code it was a no go. Best to buy a unit with configuration you desire. Now if you live in free standing cluster type condo structure with no shared common chase I don't think it would matter as I can't imagine why an HOA would have CCR's that regulate the type of internal improvement you described, as it would be within your walls and not interdependent on other units.
Really do appreciate everyone's comments here. I'm doing a lot of homework first, still "just looking" & have been checking out 2 bed, 2 bath units. The cluster style you mention above is my first choice, but I expect I may not get everything on my wish list. Of course, I'm finding more 1.5 bath units in the areas I'm interested in. I would never purchase a dwelling without carefully reading the HOA agreement, but just recently heard about CCRs. I had to look up what it stood for. Which is why I came here for a little more clarification.

Thanks so much!!

Old 02-17-2021, 11:57 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Really do appreciate everyone's comments here. I'm doing a lot of homework first, still "just looking" & have been checking out 2 bed, 2 bath units. The cluster style you mention above is my first choice, but I expect I may not get everything on my wish list. Of course, I'm finding more 1.5 bath units in the areas I'm interested in. I would never purchase a dwelling without carefully reading the HOA agreement, but just recently heard about CCRs. I had to look up what it stood for. Which is why I came here for a little more clarification.

Thanks so much!!
Easy way is if there is a unit you are interested in that could be expanded to add a shower in the half bath then contact the HOA president and ask is there are any stipulations against turning the 1/2 bath to a 3/4 bath. If there is then continue looking. As others mentioned plumbing changes are more restricted in high rise buildings where one unit is on top of another.

I would say, if you find a place and do this be prepared for lots of dust if it is built on a slab. Maybe do it before moving in. My husband just converted a tub/shower to just a shower and had to dig into the slab and what a mess of dust. It turned out beautiful though.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:12 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Anything walls in on condo, you are typically fine. Go through the walls (plumbing) and that "fine" moves towards questionable. Most condos share plumbing.

The only sure bet is written authorization from the HOA. The president does not make lone decisions. Usually a majority of the BOD is required.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have never seen an HOA that has rules about adding internal bathrooms. Architectural changes to the outside, maybe... that's it.

I guess I should say there's a first time for everything... but really, I don't think this is an HOA issue.

Changes to internal plumbing in attached housing often must be approved by a Board or designated committee.

What happens in one unit can impact other units.

I am aware of some local governments that require a copy of the association’s approval as a part of the permitting process.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:29 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Changes to internal plumbing in attached housing often must be approved by a Board or designated committee.

What happens in one unit can impact other units.

I am aware of some local governments that require a copy of the association’s approval as a part of the permitting process.
I learned Florida(in general, condo or not) has a pretty tight permitting process in efforts to avoid mechanic liens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate