Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 11:46 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of new homes built in the town I live in have Thermador appliances. Does that mean Thermador screams "cookie cutter" too?

As others have said, you should choose appliances that are appropriate for the price point your house sits in. If it's a high end house, then brands like Wolf, SubZero, Thermador, Miele, etc. would be great. If it's a more middle of the range house than GE is totally fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 11:47 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
With GE appliances so ubiquitous in tract homes, I wonder, do they scream cookie-cutter home? Do they affect they affect the home's resale value compared to other brands?
They aren't ubiquitous in tract homes, anymore than certain Whirlpool owned brands are.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:51 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
Well, some builders may offer GE or Whirlpool as base options, but offer higher-end brands as upgrades, such as Cafe and Monogram on the GE side or KitchenAid or Jenn-Air on the Whirlpool side, with highest offerings being luxury brands such as Thermador, Wolf, Sub-Zero, or Viking. I know one major Arizona builder who offers GE, GE Profile, Cafe, Monogram, and Sub-Zero/Wolf.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:03 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,399 times
When I used to build custom homes, everyone had to have the SubZero/Wolf/Viking stuff. Lots of problems and pricey to repair.

Our last home (for us) we coulda had anything reasonable. Research showed GE had better reviews re dependability so we went with one of their higher-end lines and so far, so good. I think most appliances nowadays are similar, I suspect many are made in the same factories in China. We had Bosch in our last home and were not impressed......

Old 02-16-2021, 12:09 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
None of our GE appliances scream at me.
I'm going to guess though, that most of our clients, after touring a home, could not tell you what brand the appliances (or the faucets) were. It's just way down the list of what most people are looking at when touring a home. They can probably tell you the color and whether the appliances looked new... but that's about it, unless there's something pretty special or different in there.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:21 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
With GE appliances so ubiquitous in tract homes, I wonder, do they scream cookie-cutter home? Do they affect they affect the home's resale value compared to other brands?
Maybe buy a bunch of magnetic Gucci logos and slap em on over top of the GE logo?

Old 02-16-2021, 12:46 PM

237 posts, read 283,146 times
GE appliances are owned by Haier, which is a Chinese company. I used to believe in their quality. Not anymore.

One brand I always used to rely on: Kenmore. Who made Kenmore? Whirlpool. An American company.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:48 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
My GE appliances are fairly quiet. Haven't heard a scream out of them in years.

Once the cat screamed when I accidentally closed his tail in the GE oven door, but that turned out to be a good thing because it taught him to stay out of the kitchen when Mom is cooking.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:33 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
The vast majority of new homes built in the town I live in have Thermador appliances. Does that mean Thermador screams "cookie cutter" too?

As others have said, you should choose appliances that are appropriate for the price point your house sits in. If it's a high end house, then brands like Wolf, SubZero, Thermador, Miele, etc. would be great. If it's a more middle of the range house than GE is totally fine.

I need to bake a cake and the temperature is 350 degrees for 25 minutes. How is the outcome of the cake any different with a standard GE range vs. a Viking range? I can't imagine it to taste differently or look differently based upon brand. I'm willing to buy a GE range if it has good reviews and has the functions I'm looking for such as pre bake, and the numerical pad to punch in the numbers vs. using arrows up or down!

Old 02-16-2021, 02:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Wolf and Subzero appliances are the answers to the question that nobody asked. They are "prosumer" lines with questionable reliability meant for bragging rights, not getting a return on your "investment".

American-made appliances are among the most reliable available on the market. In this exact market sub-segment, large appliances, specifically, production-line US-made makes and models generally exceed the reliability of Samsung and LG. Wolf and Subzero are lower-volume lines, which inevitably introduce their own imperfections by the nature of low-volume production itself. Look no further than handmade Italian cars, for example.

Nice to look at, a financial curse to own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate