Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 08:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times

Advertisements

There are few easier ways to make a quick buck in America today than flipping houses. The real estate market is red hot, profits on flips are at a record high — some $66,000 on average per home — and throngs of HGTV-inspired wannabes have been piling into the business for months.

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/busi...76e703c27.html

Rest of the article. Banks are throwing money at flippers because the interest rate for home construction and remodeling is so much higher than mortgages (more than double).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 08:58 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
How much higher will they go though? For years, we keep hearing they will go up.

30-Year Fixed-Rate Mortgages Since 1971 - Freddie Mac

It's been under 5% for ten years now. Curious on any thoughts about this!
Pre-pandemic, inflation was close to zero and perhaps slightly negative. Current estimates of inflation are now clearly positive.

Forecasting REAL interest rates (nominal minus inflation) is difficult to do accurately, as I'm sure you know.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:02 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
There are few easier ways to make a quick buck in America today than flipping houses.
I think I'd insert the word "successfully" prior to the word "flipping" above.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:37 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Foreclosures/Walk Aways riddled with flippers 12 years ago in my area...

Old 03-21-2021, 12:34 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
There are few easier ways to make a quick buck in America today than flipping houses. The real estate market is red hot, profits on flips are at a record high — some $66,000 on average per home — and throngs of HGTV-inspired wannabes have been piling into the business for months.

Rest of the article. Banks are throwing money at flippers because the interest rate for home construction and remodeling is so much higher than mortgages (more than double).
You’ve watched way too many house flipping shows and I’m guessing you’ve never flipped one yourself. In which case I’m wondering why you would post on this.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:37 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is the house I lost the offer on. It was one of those properties getting dozens of showings during the few days it was on the market.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/24200-H...58244683_zpid/
This is indeed a "nice" home, on a nice large lot (1.7 acres and favorable layout, etc.) But it is "only" $178 per sf, which doesn't seem outrageous to me in a hot market (it may even have a basement not included in the sf, I didn't look that close). A cousin recently paid $450K for a 2000 sf home on a "minimal" lot near St. George, UT, which works out to what, $225/sf? I think that is even eclipsed in Scottsdale, and let's not even discuss CA. With so much wealth concentrated in the DC area, I'm surprised housing there isn't even more expensive. As badly as I want to live somewhere like St. George - again, I don't want to buy into what I see as a bubble.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:51 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
You’ve watched way too many house flipping shows and I’m guessing you’ve never flipped one yourself. In which case I’m wondering why you would post on this.
It is the lead paragraph in the article. By easy, the author is talking about the risk of loss versus potential profit in a white hot market, not about physical effort. It is a very different environment than I've been involved with. You have to learn to read articles, not just the headline or the lead. The article is talking about the flood of money coming into the flipping market, while so far, Wall Street firms have been absent. It would be very tough now since the months inventory in a lot of the markets are below 1 month. The quotes for remodeling have also gone stratospheric in the area of 300,000 for our house. The neighbor across the street is spending that much.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:52 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:

while I have truly appreciated your posts regarding the USPS, here's an area you don't understand.

I can't speak to other markets, but there are 2 types of "flippers":

Those that have their contractors' licenses and file permits, and do the job the right way

Those who work hard to avoid permits because they may be experienced, but are unlicensed, and are essentially doing a cosmetic job following yes, the latest HGTV trends.

the Banks are NOT lending to #2. Are there "finance companies" involved? The kind that helped contribute to the 2006-2008 problem? Sure.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Foreclosures/Walk Aways riddled with flippers 12 years ago in my area...
those are type #2.

They've heard "there's no better way to make a quick buck than flipping houses". They may have paid a $1000+ to some seminar "how to make money in real estate with no money dpwn".

It was clear in 2006-2008 with the explosion of home-flipping shows (locations all over the US) where many times a majority of the profits relied on the market itself rising 10+% during the time they owned the house, not the quality of the work they did/any vaue-added performed.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
It is the lead paragraph in the article. By easy, the author is talking about the risk of loss versus potential profit in a white hot market, not about physical effort. It is a very different environment than I've been involved with. You have to learn to read articles, not just the headline or the lead. The article is talking about the flood of money coming into the flipping market, while so far, Wall Street firms have been absent. It would be very tough now since the months inventory in a lot of the markets are below 1 month. The quotes for remodeling have also gone stratospheric in the area of 300,000 for our house. The neighbor across the street is spending that much.
which is why you should quote it, not just copy/paste it.

There is only 2 ways for a true flipper (no changes involving expanding the size/requiring a permit) to "make a killing":

1. Prices are rising so quickly that just by owning a property for 6 months you've earned 10%+

2. Convince somebody (all those letters some of you get) to sell below actual market value.

If a $500K house requires $100K of "updates", then an individual is happy right now to buy the house, spend the $100K, and be thrilled their house is worth $600K at the end.

Tell me how a flipper "makes a killing" paying $500K + 80K cost over 120 days and selling for $600K and making an easy living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate