U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 04:19 PM

37,269 posts, read 64,685,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I bought a house from Realtor 2 that was originally shown to me by realtor 1.

I asked realtor one to show me similar houses, and after screwing around for a week, she said she had nothing to show me.
I called the listing agent on the house which i liked and asked her to show me a few of similar ilk, which she did. We bought the first house we had originally seen. Explained the situation to realtor 2 just in case, and she said we were all good (of course!).
\\
OP, just be upfront and make a choice when the time comes. Try not to sign stuff so you are not hooked by someone you don't really know and who may turn out to be a dud. A strong realtor will work hard for you. Then maybe you sign something ( i can hear the realtor crowd howling now).
Terrible advice.
No howl. Just pointing out bad advice.
Sign a buyers agency agreement, to tie the agent up! Demand an escape clause. "Either party may terminate unilaterally...."

I am in a sellers market.
Junior leaguers who want to play games the see on the internet, who want to work me without working with me take second place to clients who have engaged me as a fiduciary.
And, in most price points, I have client overlap.
Why assume second place with an agent and expect top shelf service?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 06:40 PM

9,851 posts, read 19,365,438 times
Interview them all and commit to the one you think will do the best job for you. Have an escape clause if you aren't satisfied. Unfortunately, there agents that are better at selling themselves than serving the client.

Old 02-25-2021, 03:57 PM

1,992 posts, read 2,904,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
from what he/she says, he/she hasn't physically met any of them.
You are correct. Thanks to Covid and being too early for us to be serious about looking we have not meant personally with anyone. I have two I have talked to on the phone that are sending me the auto listing of houses coming up or listed that meet my criteria. I think I’m going to email one and say thank you but don’t bother. I don’t get as many listings from her and I don’t think she either asked or listened to our criteria as I get listings that are over my price range and not from all the communities available. The other person spent a lot of time talking to me and has been good about separate emails regarding listings and what may be going on in some cases. I just need to figure out if it’s worth the time to call the new one I had referred to me who I was told knows the 55+ communities. I liked the script someone else put up and will use that. Again, I want to be up front, honest, and so far have not signed anything.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:42 AM

9,851 posts, read 19,365,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
You are correct. Thanks to Covid and being too early for us to be serious about looking we have not meant personally with anyone. I have two I have talked to on the phone that are sending me the auto listing of houses coming up or listed that meet my criteria. I think I’m going to email one and say thank you but don’t bother. I don’t get as many listings from her and I don’t think she either asked or listened to our criteria as I get listings that are over my price range and not from all the communities available. The other person spent a lot of time talking to me and has been good about separate emails regarding listings and what may be going on in some cases. I just need to figure out if it’s worth the time to call the new one I had referred to me who I was told knows the 55+ communities. I liked the script someone else put up and will use that. Again, I want to be up front, honest, and so far have not signed anything.
Yes, call and interview. Ask the agent about state agency laws. Every state is different. Meet 2 or 3 and ask some questions about agency law and contract terms, strategies to buy a home, etc, and you'll quickly be able to identify the cream of the crop. Most agents are average. Don't settle for average. Find a great one.

Also, fwiw, I find the personal referrals aren't a good way to identify agents. It's usually who they know, and they know the person and not the agent. There are many fine people that are average agents.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:03 AM

8,595 posts, read 4,921,209 times
You're not obligated, so you want to hear us say "do what's best for you, go with who you're comfortable with." ok. But be kind. You went with the first realtor for a reason. Let them fail before you dump them. I've heard horror stories of certain clientele using a realtor to find them a house, only to use another realtor "friend" to close a deal at a lower commission. Be kind. Be ethical.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

1,992 posts, read 2,904,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You're not obligated, so you want to hear us say "do what's best for you, go with who you're comfortable with." ok. But be kind. You went with the first realtor for a reason. Let them fail before you dump them. I've heard horror stories of certain clientele using a realtor to find them a house, only to use another realtor "friend" to close a deal at a lower commission. Be kind. Be ethical.
Yes, you are right. Definitely kind and ethical. The realtor who has been good about sending me listings is actually not one I specifically reached out to. I had called the real estate office for the listing agent on a house I spotted on the realtor app and this gentleman is the one who returned my call, not the listing agent for the house. He was good about spending time in the one and only phone call we’ve had, talking about the market, etc and getting to know what I’m looking for and we have emailed a few times. At this point I’m inclined to stay with him as he has made an effort.

Old Today, 11:12 AM

56,336 posts, read 44,643,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If any of those realtors has shown him a house and he buys it, won't he be obligated to pay them?
If the house is listed, the seller will pay all fees to realtors.

If the house isn't listed and a realtor is crazy enough to show it to them without a contract stipulating compensation, then I'd say they are probably MORALLY obligated to pay the realtor but not contractually obligated. The realtor needs to be paid by someone - typically it's the seller though.

Old Today, 06:50 PM

8,595 posts, read 4,921,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Yes, you are right. Definitely kind and ethical. The realtor who has been good about sending me listings is actually not one I specifically reached out to. I had called the real estate office for the listing agent on a house I spotted on the realtor app and this gentleman is the one who returned my call, not the listing agent for the house. He was good about spending time in the one and only phone call we’ve had, talking about the market, etc and getting to know what I’m looking for and we have emailed a few times. At this point I’m inclined to stay with him as he has made an effort.
Yeah, so at any point if someone drops the ball, I let them know, they get to correct it. IF they don't, I'll find someone else. But these guys have access to the same MLS. So if the first agent is doing a good job, I'm inclined to stick with them. I've heard stories of people running a realtor ragged only to switch last second to a buddy or someone willing to kick back cash.

Also the listing agent is working for the seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate