Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 10:43 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I too have known kids who moved back home for various lengths of time, between jobs, between marriages, ...

I've known mothers to visit for a month or even longer to help care for a child going through medical recovery or care for a grandchild until childcare kicked in.

I've even known parents who live in another country visiting for several weeks, or even months at a time. These are alway planned visits with the homeowners on board with the visit.

But I have never known a "normal" father to announce he is visiting for a month, so the homeowners better get used to the idea.
I think bio dad could turn this into a permanent relocation. Rent free!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
So my view is that is really is none of our business *why* the OP feels the bio father shouldn't be there. OP asked a question about his options, not for an analysis of his reasons. I found it rather amusing that the person who started all the drama later commented on how much drama is in this thread. I also can't help but wonder if OP now regrets starting this thread in the first place.

Amidst all the drama, there was some good advice given, and early on it sounded like OP did the best thing he could do, which was to consult an attorney.

I have a developmentally disabled child, she's still a kid. Definitely a lot of food for thought in this thread but all I can offer the OP is best wishes on resolving what could undoubtedly be a difficult situation.
hey maybe OP is paranoid and bio dad just loves his son, even though they've been apart for a while?

Old 02-26-2021, 10:48 AM

13,731 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And exactly how can they do this unless they bamboozle the son into signing a quit claim? (in which case, they are being even more manipulative than the bio father.)

The OP/wife aren't trying to screw over the son. He's still getting the house.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think bio dad could turn this into a permanent relocation. Rent free!!

Sure or maybe a co-worker or whomever.

Which isn't to say guests can't be allowed. However, they (OP/wife) don't want a situation where they find someone beside the son living there.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:05 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I clicked on the title again, because I had forgotten what this post is about, and then read the OP to make sure I had read it correctly the first time.

The title says "Unwanted Guest In a House We Own," but in the OP it says you put the son's name on the title - doesn't matter what his condition is or why you put his name on the title, if only his name is on the title, then he is the sole owner, whether you pay expenses or not (not sure if you ever answered if there's a mortgage and whose name is on that) . . .

IF he is the sole owner, you have no control over who is in the house or why.

IF he owns jointly, with you, then you have a little more leverage, but since he is the person living in the house, his leverage trumps yours.

The bottom line is that he has either most or all of the power to make decisions no matter what his abilities or your opinions are.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The OP/wife aren't trying to screw over the son. He's still getting the house.

You didn't answer the question, and if the son actually wants the bio dad to come visit then they are indeed attempting to screw over the son. And if the son didn't want anything to do with the bio dad then whose name is on the deed wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I clicked on the title again, because I had forgotten what this post is about, and then read the OP to make sure I had read it correctly the first time.

The title says "Unwanted Guest In a House We Own," but in the OP it says you put the son's name on the title - doesn't matter what his condition is or why you put his name on the title, if only his name is on the title, then he is the sole owner, whether you pay expenses or not (not sure if you ever answered if there's a mortgage and whose name is on that) . . .

IF he is the sole owner, you have no control over who is in the house or why.

IF he owns jointly, with you, then you have a little more leverage, but since he is the person living in the house, his leverage trumps yours.

The bottom line is that he has either most or all of the power to make decisions no matter what his abilities or your opinions are.
Yes, but the OP/wife created this situation (potentially finding someone other than the son living in the property) when the put the son's name on the title.

Ultimately the house will go to the son but the OP/wife need an attorney to sort this out.

Old 02-26-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You didn't answer the question, and if the son actually wants the bio dad to come visit then they are indeed attempting to screw over the son. And if the son didn't want anything to do with the bio dad then whose name is on the deed wouldn't even be an issue.
It can be anyone. Not just the bio-father. Taking the son's name off the title removes the potential problem of people suddenly moving in. .

Nobody is trying to screw over the son. If he wants to have his bio-father visit.... great.

However, the OP/wife bought the property and don't want anyone outside of the son living there. The only reason the OP/wife put the son's name on the title is for convenience should they suddenly pass away.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:11 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
hey maybe OP is paranoid and bio dad just loves his son, even though they've been apart for a while?
Judging that is not the purpose of this thread.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
It can be anyone. Not just the bio-father. Taking the son's name off the title removes the potential problem of people suddenly moving in. .

Nobody is trying to screw over the son. If he wants to have his bio-father visit.... great.

However, the OP/wife bought the property and don't want anyone outside of the son living there. The only reason the OP/wife put the son's name on the title is for convenience should they suddenly pass away.

It's possible that the bio dad approached the parents first out of respect and the son doesn't even know the drama going on but otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue with them seeing an attorney so they can overrule the son and have the last word if the son felt the same way. So the son must want the dad to come and stay for a month.

If they cannot talk to their son and get him to cooperate and need to have the final word so they can override his wishes then they are indeed trying to screw over the son. Guess he won't ever have a girlfriend either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate