Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 07:55 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times

Advertisements

Have a somewhat unique situation, will probably get an attorney involved just to verify our position. Purchased a small house for our adult son that has a developmental disability that impairs his cognitive functions. Basically he's a ten year old living in a grown up's body. We provided the majority of the financing and credit history for the loan. Our son pays us back a portion of the mortgage from his disability income and a part time job he has. For estate planning purposes, we put his name on the title on the off chance anything happens to us and we can comfortably know that his living arrangements are taken care of.

Where this gets sticky, is now the ex-husband of my wife and biological father of my son has decided to come out of the woodwork and wants to escape the winter cold for a month in Arizona. The biological father claims that because our son is a rental tenant and we are essentially the landlords, we have no say as to who comes into our "rental". The choice is up to a developmentally challenged adult and the biological father plans to enter our house to stay for an extended visit. Had a chat with him to tell him not to enter our property, but he is convinced we have no right to keep him away. The biological father has a reputation for just showing up unannounced, so our fear is that he will just show up, settle in and wait for me to attempt to throw him out.

What is our standing on house guests? It's not a rental home, there is no lease. We pay the mortgage and utilities while our son pays us back a portion of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 07:58 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
You have what amounts to a 10 year old living alone? That seems like the bigger concern to me. But I would guess you need to speak to a lawyer.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlzrl View Post
you have what amounts to a 10 year old living alone? That seems like the bigger concern to me. But i would guess you need to speak to a lawyer.
+1.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:13 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Are you listed on the mortgage at all? If so, then that is your property and he would be trespassing. Or if the house is 100% in your son's name and you have POA, I think you could still refuse to let his dad stay.

That's my ignorant 2 cents, FWIW!

Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Are you listed on the mortgage at all? If so, then that is your property and he would be trespassing. Or if the house is 100% in your son's name and you have POA, I think you could still refuse to let his dad stay.

That's my ignorant 2 cents, FWIW!
not the mortgage, the deed but otherwise probably pretty accurate.

OP needs to clarify whether "put him on the deed/title" means only the son is on it, or whether all 3 of them are.

presumably further, as you note, if they have a POA over the son, then they would have some legal standing against bio-dad showing up and staying without their express approval.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:32 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Have a somewhat unique situation, will probably get an attorney involved just to verify our position. Purchased a small house for our adult son that has a developmental disability that impairs his cognitive functions. Basically he's a ten year old living in a grown up's body. We provided the majority of the financing and credit history for the loan. Our son pays us back a portion of the mortgage from his disability income and a part time job he has. For estate planning purposes, we put his name on the title on the off chance anything happens to us and we can comfortably know that his living arrangements are taken care of.

Where this gets sticky, is now the ex-husband of my wife and biological father of my son has decided to come out of the woodwork and wants to escape the winter cold for a month in Arizona. The biological father claims that because our son is a rental tenant and we are essentially the landlords, we have no say as to who comes into our "rental". The choice is up to a developmentally challenged adult and the biological father plans to enter our house to stay for an extended visit. Had a chat with him to tell him not to enter our property, but he is convinced we have no right to keep him away. The biological father has a reputation for just showing up unannounced, so our fear is that he will just show up, settle in and wait for me to attempt to throw him out.

What is our standing on house guests? It's not a rental home, there is no lease. We pay the mortgage and utilities while our son pays us back a portion of it.
Your son's name is on the title and contributes financially toward the mortgage payment. If he only paid you, he would be a tenant. Even with no lease, he would technically be paying you rent each month and he would legally be considered a tenant. But because his name is on the deed, he's at least a partial owner of the property. Depending on your laws, he's likely an equal owner.

In my opinion (I'm not an attorney) unless you retain some type of legal guardianship over your son, I'm afraid you cannot prevent him from having guests. I do think you should seek a legal opinion from a local attorney.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:46 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,067,711 times
I would tell him son is tenant and can only have guests for 3 days max after that it will cost so much per day as if he was renting a room. He wants it free...tell him it will cost something like 800 a month in advance. Just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:19 AM

862 posts, read 439,694 times
If your son is on the deed, he owns the house. You can’t demand who he allows to live in his house. You just have to pay for it since you are on the mortgage.

I’d suggest you created this situation by making him the owner when you could have have used other ways of protecting his interests in the house.

I’d consult an attorney.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:47 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Thanks, we just called an attorney. He is a higher functioning disabled adult and we purchased the property because he has a good track record of being independent. We go in and check on him every other day. There are three of us on the title. This was a curveball we didn't see happening, the biological dad suddenly decided to want to show up after being gone 5+ years.

The attorney is double checking, but because all three of us own the property jointly all three of us have a say to who can come on the property according to them. It's within our right to know who is in our home. Just a unique situation that we hadn't planned on.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:27 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
You said your son is on the title. If he is competent and on the title, I don't see where you have any authority over the house. Note: I am not an attorney, and am usually wrong about things!

It just seems to me that the money you are giving to him or on his behalf is just a donation with no strings attached.

Is there a reason you object to his father staying with him? What does he say about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate