U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 03:00 PM

6,638 posts, read 7,926,668 times

Advertisements

You need to decide if it is an architectural feature that enhances the home, or looks like an old above ground pool. If you have a great view, and are where your potential buyers might want to soak with a glass of wine and friends at a BBQ it is an asset. Like a ski area, a jacuzzi is almost required, like a pool in Phoenix.

My suggestion would be if it cleans up to "sparkling" condition , with the deck refinished as needed, maybe incorporated with a BBQ / outdoor kitchen, keep it, otherwise reconfigure the space. And be sure it works perfectly.

You want the buyer to feel like stripping off their clothes right then and jumping in!

My favorite was a friends wood burning hot tub with a fountain pump to circulate the water in his off grid homestead in the mountains.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 03:20 PM

1,991 posts, read 1,297,200 times
Only because this thread reminded me ...

When we were looking nearly 20 years ago, we visited an open house in the fall in the Twin Cities (Minnesota).

Opening the door, we walked right into a blast of humidity.

It was an open floor plan for the center of the main floor (front-to-back) with office, dining room, quarter bath and mudroom/garage entry off that open center section. The center itself was all the same width with entryway into living room step up into kitchen and enclosed four-season porch with a walk in hot tub in the four-season porch. The entryway, living room and kitchen had the same, continuous side walls front-to-back.

The four-season porch and kitchen were divided only by a half wall - no doors or windows - and the humidity flooded the main floor. We didn't even bother checking out the second level.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:48 PM

13,489 posts, read 12,308,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
You need to decide if it is an architectural feature that enhances the home, or looks like an old above ground pool. If you have a great view, and are where your potential buyers might want to soak with a glass of wine and friends at a BBQ it is an asset. Like a ski area, a jacuzzi is almost required, like a pool in Phoenix.

My suggestion would be if it cleans up to "sparkling" condition , with the deck refinished as needed, maybe incorporated with a BBQ / outdoor kitchen, keep it, otherwise reconfigure the space. And be sure it works perfectly.

You want the buyer to feel like stripping off their clothes right then and jumping in!

My favorite was a friends wood burning hot tub with a fountain pump to circulate the water in his off grid homestead in the mountains.
Funny you say a pool is a requirement in Phoenix. When my cousin lived there, she rarely used it! It was like taking a hot bath much of the year. It wasn't a cool place to cool off.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:04 PM

8,787 posts, read 5,494,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Funny you say a pool is a requirement in Phoenix. When my cousin lived there, she rarely used it! It was like taking a hot bath much of the year. It wasn't a cool place to cool off.

Ooh good point. Up here we usually talk about heating pools... Can you cool pools in hot climates?

Old 03-01-2021, 06:24 PM

2,600 posts, read 836,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Ooh good point. Up here we usually talk about heating pools... Can you cool pools in hot climates?
A few of my friends in AZ have in-pool fountains that purportedly knock a few degrees off by aerating the water, but I can't imagine that's the same as a real cooling.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:31 PM

8,787 posts, read 5,494,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
A few of my friends in AZ have in-pool fountains that purportedly knock a few degrees off by aerating the water, but I can't imagine that's the same as a real cooling.

Maybe you could just buy ice blocks in large quantities

I do remember summering in Phoenix with my grandfather. They had a pool, but we didn't go down and swim until after dark. Way too hot during the day.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM

12,318 posts, read 13,706,952 times
I've seen most offered with the house.

I've also seen plenty of "Free Hottub - you must remove" ads on CL and FB as well, usually after a home purchase.

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

479 posts, read 1,632,142 times
Our house came with a hot tub which we promptly sold for $1100, it was in good shape and everything worked but I was ignorant to what upkeep would be. Three years later I purchased a new hot tub, loving it! Maintenance is a breeze with these newer tubs and my electric bill went up maybe $10. I'd definitely purchase a home with a tub as long as it's in good condition.

Old Today, 04:35 PM

5,860 posts, read 6,852,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd never want to live here without a pool in summer. In prior summers, our old pool could get up to 95 degrees in the peak. We still used it all the time. It is warm, but still cooler than 110. Get out and you feel a chill.

I like the pool once the water gets to about 78, but my wife complains its too cold under 90!

We just bought a new house 6 months ago, this pool won't get as much sun as the old one did so it may not get to 95 like that one. I'll know soon enough.

Oh, and the new hot tub is due next month

(old pool had an attached spa, this one doesn't and we miss it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate