Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 04:55 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I'd rather buy a "used" house that has been standing on its foundation for a while and has weathered storms.

A newly built home hasn't yet settled onto its foundation nor had to face adverse conditions. The cracks and deficiencies will surface eventually and then you'll really see some problems.
This is what my agent is pushing after I got her and her partner to look at two houses for us. Her partner is a builder and he said the houses had to many slab cracks to suit him. A fellow CD poster first pointed out these cracks to me and I thank him for that. My concern is how do you know the used homes don't have structural issues and they have them covered up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 08:58 AM

111 posts, read 90,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This is what my agent is pushing after I got her and her partner to look at two houses for us. Her partner is a builder and he said the houses had to many slab cracks to suit him. A fellow CD poster first pointed out these cracks to me and I thank him for that. My concern is how do you know the used homes don't have structural issues and they have them covered up.
A few things I look for in my house hunting are: uneven floors, sagging roof, cracks in the garage if garage is attached, any cracking thats not superficial (google cracks caused by damaged foundation for pictures) like cracked slab foundation, large crack in the wall, and things that can cause damage to foundation such as inadequate draining around house, large water damage inside house, roots close to foundation, clay roof or heavy pendant when the roof is not rated for those things, etc. If you’re really worried, hire a structural engineer to inspect it in addition to the inspector.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:45 PM

Are closing costs lower if buying a home with cash instead of financing it?

Old 03-05-2021, 06:59 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Are closing costs lower if buying a home with cash instead of financing it?
Closing costs for the sale are the same but if you are getting a mortgage, there are many other fees related to financing the property.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:01 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
I want a new house
In my opinion, the ideal age for a house is 3-7 years old.
1. The design is current.
2. Close to latest building codes.
3. The foundation cracks have happened or not.
4. The water leaks have happened or not.
5. The landscaping is probably better than the day it was brand new.
6. It has window coverings. Maybe not your style, but better than none at all.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:30 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
I wonder if new homes today are built with the same quality of materials and craftsmanship compared to homes built in the past.

Many people like a brand new home, but you also pay for it in price compared to a second hand or used home.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:47 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I wonder if new homes today are built with the same quality of materials and craftsmanship compared to homes built in the past.

Many people like a brand new home, but you also pay for it in price compared to a second hand or used home.
If you're talking tract homes, I don't think so, although the quality may vary depending on what part of the country you live in.

I have built houses in several parts of the country, most recently in the Midwest. The midwestern home has a far better "fit and finish" than several homes I built in the last 20 years in the southeast.

I think a lot has to do with work ethic and pride in craftsmanship.

RM

Old 03-06-2021, 08:18 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
100 years ago there were many crappy houses built.
Today there are crappy house being built.

The 100 year old crappy houses are either gone or not noticed.
The 100 year old quality house are still standing.
It is called survivorship bias.

Crappy new houses of today are better than the crappy new houses of 1900.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:36 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
100 years ago there were many crappy houses built.
Today there are crappy house being built.

The 100 year old crappy houses are either gone or not noticed.
The 100 year old quality house are still standing.
It is called survivorship bias.

Crappy new houses of today are better than the crappy new houses of 1900.
And, those 100 year old houses that survived generally got needed maintenance and attention.
Owning a house has never been carefree.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
If you're talking tract homes, I don't think so, although the quality may vary depending on what part of the country you live in.

I have built houses in several parts of the country, most recently in the Midwest. The midwestern home has a far better "fit and finish" than several homes I built in the last 20 years in the southeast.

I think a lot has to do with work ethic and pride in craftsmanship.

RM
This is one of the reasons I don't want to get a house in a "planned development" along with the lots being smaller. These are more for young families with kids which we don't want to be close to. This is why Bella Vista, Arkansas is so appealing to us. The lots are bigger (1/3 acre) and the age demographics are closer to our ages.

Last edited by reubenray; 03-07-2021 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate