Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,443 times

Advertisements

Ooooh boy... the chest is tight... we have our inspection this weekend. Apparently, I am the only one that's nervous about it. The "what if's" are about to cause a stroke. *wheeze* *cough* Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
CarolinaChick-it is so stressful, worse than when you have showings but just be there to answer inspector's questions, take deep breaths. The most stressful day for me was the day we had our inspection - thank God for our realtor, he held my hand thru it all and it worked out fine.

Will keep you in my thoughts.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM

Thank you!!! Well you know, I have read that the seller's have the right to be present for the inspection. But I keep hearing that I shouldn't be present. Did the buyer feel weird that you were there?

Last edited by carolina chick; 05-08-2008 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-08-2008, 11:57 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
I have been there on both sides. I felt a little weird when the buyer was there, but she was nice and I sat in her living room with her kids while my husband and the inspector went around the house. The sellers most definitely should be with their inspector.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
As a buyer, I would not want the seller there when the inspection is performed. I certainly wouldn't want the seller talking to my inspector and taking up his time since I am the one paying for his services. When I purchased a house in Raleigh, NC the only people present during the inspection were:

1) The Inspector
2) My Buyer's Agent (He was only there to provide access to the house)
3) Me and my wife

We submitted a list of repair request to the seller after the fact. Again, I would not want the seller there while my inspection is being done. That would make me feel uncomfortable. I want to talk freely about the house and not worry about who might hear what. The seller had plenty of time after the inspection report was submitted to respond to my concerns.

Maybe it is done differently in other regions.

FWIW, we only had minor requests which the seller was more than happy to repair and we had a smooth and happy closing.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
My inspection is tomorrow, and I'm nervous as can be!! Our house is not new (1951) and has some "issues" - we've been VERY forthright with the buyers and they've told us that they are not concerned about the things we've disclosed (including prior water problems which we've fixed, the age of the roof, a collapsing retaining wall, stuff like that), and are just looking for anything really "major" that we might not even know about (a foundation problem, for example). They insist that they really want the house and understand that older houses are not perfect. (And between you and me, the price more than compensates for the minor problems that it does have!)

But still, I have a feeling that the inspector might paint things in a different light (they have a way of making even minor things sound important and dramatic, from my experience), that might cause the buyers to reconsider. When we bought our new house we were quite concerned about a few things the inspection uncovered - minor things, but they caused us to rethink our previous opinion that the house was in really GREAT condition. We ended up taking it anyway (we realized upon further consideration that we didn't require the kind of perfection we THOUGHT we'd lucked upon, and it's worked out fine), but I wonder if the sellers were on pins and needles during that time!

And a close friend of mine had a contract but it fell through on the inspection because the inspector DID discover a foundation problem - my friend wasn't willing to come down in price as much as the buyers wanted, and the deal fell apart. (She ended up fixing the foundation and raising the price, and the house is still on the market.) I never got clear on whether she knew about the problem, or even had an inkling, before the inspection.

As for being there, because we have no agents involved, we have to be there to let in the inspector and the buyers. Also, our house is a bit cluttered (we're packing to move), so if the inspector wants something moved we can help with that, and with locating light switches, heat vents (some of which are in very weird places), etc. Our buyers don't have any problem with us being there (we all get along really well). My plan is just to keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked a question, but to be honest in answering.

I will surely be MUCH happier when the contingency period is over (as I'm sure you will be, C.C.)! At least for us, it's basically only the inspection - there is no financing contingency. So in a week it'll be clear sailing.

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 05-08-2008 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Too many "really"s

Old 05-08-2008, 12:14 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
We had 2 inspections (1 deal fell thru as buyers lied on mortgage appl.) and we were there for both. Our broker wanted us there as if the inspector had any questions we would be available.

First time buyer was a b---- but I had the last laugh when she did herself in by lying.
Second was great as buyer was one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:18 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
As a buyer, I would not want the seller there when the inspection is performed. I certainly wouldn't want the seller talking to my inspector and taking up his time since I am the one paying for his services. When I purchased a house in Raleigh, NC the only people present during the inspection were:

1) The Inspector
2) My Buyer's Agent (He was only there to provide access to the house)
3) Me and my wife

We submitted a list of repair request to the seller after the fact. Again, I would not want the seller there while my inspection is being done. That would make me feel uncomfortable. I want to talk freely about the house and not worry about who might hear what. The seller had plenty of time after the inspection report was submitted to respond to my concerns.

Maybe it is done differently in other regions.

FWIW, we only had minor requests which the seller was more than happy to repair and we had a smooth and happy closing.
I had this very situation yesterday! I showed up at the alloted time for my home inspection and the seller was there (and intended to be present during the inspection). I was definitely not comfortable with that, and neither was my realtor. We wound up contacting the sellers' realtor, who called the seller and she agreed to leave. She was upset though, and overall it was very awkward. As a seller I've never been present at an inspection, nor would I expect to me. Maybe it is a regional thing?

I just wanted to be able to talk freely to the inspector and ask a lot of questions - I find that inspectors are a wealth of information about the inner workings of houses, maintenance of equipment/exterior, etc. It costs me $415 for three hours of his time (including a termite inspection), so I wanted to pick his brains as much as possible!

I am providing the sellers with a copy of the report, and the repairs are fairly minor given it's a 20 year old house. Hopefully there are no hard feelings!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Sweetbeet - you sure said it! I'll feel SO much better once the contingency period is over. I do worry that if the inspector finds a little bitty thing, he'll draw in a big breath and announce it to be some major thing. Ack!

NRG - well that was my first reaction. I sure wouldn't want the seller under my feet when coming through for the inspection. But as the seller, I can see why one would want to be present. I'm fine either way really. I just want the test (you know "that" one) to be over and have happy results. If you see someone skipping in the middle of the road, it's me. heh...

Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,983,863 times
I need to clarify. As the seller, I have ALWAYS been home for the inspection, but I do not have any interaction with the inspector unless he/she asks. Almost always, the inspector has had a question or two or three. But I tell them, I'll be in the basement, or in this room or whatever...if you need something. I haven't struck up any conversation or followed the inspector around.

On the flip side, anytime I have had an inspection, the seller has been present.

Last edited by tamitrail; 05-08-2008 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate