U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 06:16 AM

20,114 posts, read 29,984,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't think that is what the OP is asking. All neighborhoods have a vibe. Some are stripped down with no trees, some are all one stories, some have lush landscaping and a nestled feel. Some have neighborhood block parties and July 4th parades, etc. Some are like cemeteries where no one ever leaves their homes. Those vibes have nothing to do with protected classes, but the interaction of the people within the neighborhoods. I live in a really active neighborhood where kids are out and about playing, riding bikes, people walking with or without dogs, everyone waves and chats as we are out and about, etc. I love it, but not everyone wants that.

I personally believe that my buyers are happier, buying into a neighborhood they like because of the vibe, then finding the right house within that neighborhood. It isn't about discrimination at all.
It seems it would be impossible for a realtor to know the vibe of every neighborhood in a given area. This is impossible to judge on an entire neighborhood. I’ve lived two place in my adult life. In both cases this sort of thing has changed by STREET. People out and about can change based on many things. Most Nextdoor sites and neighborhood websites are only accessible by residents. At some point it becomes a leap of faith. But the “states and cities” forums will have people who can answer a lot of questions the OP has before she even travels to potential relocation areas. To start, what is the draw of the locations listed and how often has she been to those places?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 07:29 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
4,470 posts, read 4,709,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It seems it would be impossible for a realtor to know the vibe of every neighborhood in a given area. This is impossible to judge on an entire neighborhood. I’ve lived two place in my adult life. In both cases this sort of thing has changed by STREET. People out and about can change based on many things. Most Nextdoor sites and neighborhood websites are only accessible by residents. At some point it becomes a leap of faith. But the “states and cities” forums will have people who can answer a lot of questions the OP has before she even travels to potential relocation areas. To start, what is the draw of the locations listed and how often has she been to those places?
This is a good point, and one i see addressed in the states and cities forums.

My primary residence is in Florida, and if I had a dollar for every person who posted a "Where is a good place to live?" question in anticipation of moving to our part of the state I would be a very rich person.

Any time I have moved I've done as much due diligence as I possibly can to determine where the best place to live is, based on my needs and desires. It's exhaustive and takes a fair amount of time to do so, but it's paid off well in every case. This means getting down to the street level and talking to the locals, if necessary.

Another approach is to find a rental in the area you think you want to be and live there for a year. That's a bit more involved, but rather than making a significant commitment like buying a house it gives you the flexibility to make changes once you know where you want to be.

RM

Old 03-04-2021, 07:48 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,971,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
So what is the vibe you seek?
It might be easier to say what we don't want.

We hate cookie-cutter homes, where every house is built by the same builder, or took down every single tree to put up houses. We don't want to be too close with zero lot lines. We have done that when we lived in Vegas and also spent 6 years in the DC area.

We currently live in a beautiful treed neighborhood on a massive corner lot. Multiple builders, different styles etc. We do have the HOA from hell, but that is down to the personalities of the board, not the rules, so I don't mind another HOA, they are a necessary evil.

We would love to be able to walk to restaurants, or maybe just coffee shops, shopping nearby where we don't need to get on an interstate etc. Or just the massive strip mall type shopping. Ideally a mixed-use community, but the areas we are looking for that is hard to find with SFHs.

The majority of those items are easily found and/or eliminated with google searches, Next door, and CD etc. Believe me, we have been doing this research for about 4 years. We have been to all the areas, but just to drive around aimlessly, not knowing where one district stops or starts etc.

But by spending time with a realtor we want to get a realistic sense of how long it takes to get to certain areas, if we can't be there on a Saturday what does a neighborhood really look like with everyone home or if we can only be there on the weekend, what sort of traffic patterns are there through a particular neighborhood.

I don't want to live in a full-on tourist area, or to have to go to said area for my normal shopping and dining. That is our current situation. Dreading upcoming spring break. I don't mind tourists, I love that they create jobs and allow for more restaurants, I just want to be able to avoid them in my daily life if I choose, yet participate in the things that are drawing the tourists if we want.

We will be retired, so commute is not an issue nor are schools, but know for resale that is important.

We also want nearby activities, hiking, biking etc that aren't too busy (trouble finding parking at the trailheads or overcrowded trails/paths etc)

Since we will only have 2 days in any area this first time round, I would like to spend my time wisely.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I've lived 12 places in my adult life, 6 states and 4 different countries, so I'm not new to moving.
I've spent hours here and on other sites researching different aspects. I've also watched "fights" on CD about people moving to their different areas if you say you want any particular thing, scenario, etc. In some cities forums, if someone asks a certain type of question, you can bank on 2 or 3 certain people chiming in with completely opposite opinions. So I would prefer to just do research on here, and let a professional assist me when I'm there.

This is why my question was "Would a realtor spend time with me if they know I'm not buying right away."

Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Since you are going to be there anyway- use the internet, drive by some listed houses that seem suitable, go to a few open houses if there are any, and visit any builder's models.

THEN take a tour with the agent.

Of course, give the agent's name when you do any house visits on your own.
We fully intend to do that but do want to make the best use of our limited time.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Go on nextdoor app/city data forums for various areas you are interested in, and see what the vibe is like.Why don't you go stay in an area you like for a few days and drive around. Talk to people you see out, and ask them what they like/don't like about their neighborhood, and what areas to avoid. Get some opinions.
Do it for several locations you are considering.
Most realtors are swamped right now and it would be wasting their time if you don't even have a state, much less a city picked out.
I'd be happy to show prospects homes in various parts of the city, but not if they don't even know if they want to move to my state...
Trust me we have been doing exactly that. We have eliminated about 5 locations by doing just that. We are now in the narrow down stage.

We are going and staying in the areas and driving around and would love to talk to people. This next trip will be to two locations. Next time two more. We just want a professional along this time.

So you are telling me as a realtor you would not show me around unless I have committed to your state?

Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 PM

12 posts, read 18,649 times
I think you won’t find a blanket answer to the realtor question. Too many individual variants. If the realtor is free, he/she may not mind. Someone very busy just probably couldn’t afford to work with you unless you were maybe willing to consider a fee per hour until you know if you are moving to the area.

It really all depends on the individual realtor. What I do know for sure is you will not find out the answers to these questions unless you ask them. So once you know where you’re going for sure, then contact 2-3 different realtors directly and they will let you know.

Good luck with your mission! Sounds like fun.

ETA
You could go to neighborhood/area Facebook pages and request any realtors interested in such an endeavor to contact you directly thru Facebook/email to have a meeting...those all sound like cool places but very diferent city/climate vibes for sure....enjoy

Old 03-04-2021, 08:31 PM

8,809 posts, read 5,510,657 times
Yes, there won't be an across the board answer here. You might get some volunteers or recommendations by posting in some local facebook or nextdoor groups asking for volunteers (do check them out though and make sure they're really agents!)

OR try a popular team - they may have more ability to find someone available on a given day.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:17 PM

14,753 posts, read 35,728,765 times
Quote:
Yes, I can't know the vibe of every street, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking. My whole business is based on knowing about neighborhoods and what I can say with certainty is that buyers have similar tastes in neighborhoods. I have driven almost every street in my area because it is my job. My non-client time is driving around and re-learning about neighborhoods and areas. If a client wants a mid-century modern, I know the neighborhoods in my city where they can get that architecture. If they want a tree-lined street neighborhood, I know which ones those are. If they want to be nestled, got that down too. If they don't want tall trees. Got it. Professionally cared for yards. Got it.

I can ask a buyer a bunch of questions and then know almost exactly which neighborhoods they will find appealing. Again, this isn't a fair housing issue, but people have different things they want in a neighborhood and by driving around an area, an agent can really get to know those neighborhoods well.

I had one client, a first-time buyer, that didn't really understand my "buy the neighborhood first" theory of home buying. This was pre-covid so we were in my car doing the city tour of neighborhoods based on what they said they wanted. As we drove through one of the last neighborhoods that I thought he would like, he turned to me and said, "I didn't really understand what you meant about buying in a neighborhood first until we drove through here. I want to live in this neighborhood." So that is where he bought.

It had a forested, earthy vibe to the neighborhood between the trees and the architecture. Walking his dog through the neighborhood every day just relaxes him because he likes the way it feels. I don't think you should just like your home. I think you should like walking around or driving up to your home as well.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:30 AM

5,641 posts, read 4,011,878 times
I'm not a Realtor, but I would never ask one to spend hours driving me around for no pay, with just a chance that I may move to that area some day.

When we considered relocating to a three state area, we researched online before we flew out, had mapped out several available homes in different cities/states, and spent a 3 day weekend driving, taking notes and on the last day, found our home by ourselves and called the Realtor then.

That's us. I doubt if we'll move again, but if we do, we'd probably do it the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate