U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 08:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 3,119,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes, I can't know the vibe of every street, but I don't think that is what the OP is asking. My whole business is based on knowing about neighborhoods and what I can say with certainty is that buyers have similar tastes in neighborhoods. I have driven almost every street in my area because it is my job. My non-client time is driving around and re-learning about neighborhoods and areas. If a client wants a mid-century modern, I know the neighborhoods in my city where they can get that architecture. If they want a tree-lined street neighborhood, I know which ones those are. If they want to be nestled, got that down too. If they don't want tall trees. Got it. Professionally cared for yards. Got it.

I can ask a buyer a bunch of questions and then know almost exactly which neighborhoods they will find appealing. Again, this isn't a fair housing issue, but people have different things they want in a neighborhood and by driving around an area, an agent can really get to know those neighborhoods well.

I had one client, a first-time buyer, that didn't really understand my "buy the neighborhood first" theory of home buying. This was pre-covid so we were in my car doing the city tour of neighborhoods based on what they said they wanted. As we drove through one of the last neighborhoods that I thought he would like, he turned to me and said, "I didn't really understand what you meant about buying in a neighborhood first until we drove through here. I want to live in this neighborhood." So that is where he bought.

It had a forested, earthy vibe to the neighborhood between the trees and the architecture. Walking his dog through the neighborhood every day just relaxes him because he likes the way it feels. I don't think you should just like your home. I think you should like walking around or driving up to your home as well.
That is exactly what we are hoping for in any realtor. I do realize having them spend serious time with us without a potential near time purchase is a whole lot to ask.

We have done tons of research already, which is how our list was narrowed down from 5 states (Washington, Colorado, Virginia, NC and FL) to two.

One of the reasons I asked this question is because my husband would love to just tell them we are moving as soon as our kid graduates and not be really honest. I'm struggling with that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, there won't be an across the board answer here. You might get some volunteers or recommendations by posting in some local facebook or nextdoor groups asking for volunteers (do check them out though and make sure they're really agents!)

OR try a popular team - they may have more ability to find someone available on a given day.
I do like that idea. I am going to ask my current realtor to put some feelers out. Yesterday our kid mentioned to her kid where we were going for spring break. She knew something was up.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:40 AM

14,936 posts, read 36,679,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
That is exactly what we are hoping for in any realtor. I do realize having them spend serious time with us without a potential near time purchase is a whole lot to ask.

We have done tons of research already, which is how our list was narrowed down from 5 states (Washington, Colorado, Virginia, NC and FL) to two.

One of the reasons I asked this question is because my husband would love to just tell them we are moving as soon as our kid graduates and not be really honest. I'm struggling with that.
I give people who are in the "consideration of my city" phase two hours of my time and I won't show them homes. It is my personal policy not to take people into homes that aren't ready and willing to buy.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 4,680,619 times
Quote:
Bingo! That is exactly the sort of information we are looking for. As mentioned, we have bought many homes, so are well aware of the laws etc. We are also capable of researching schools, crimes statistics etc. on our own.

I also realize how realtors are paid and their time is valuable. I have been lucky with two moves to actually have friends or friends of friends in the business, so I was sort of given that sort of tour. But I was there to purchase. The last move was back to my hometown, so not needed. This next move is to unknown areas.

I could very easily pretend to be ready to buy but I respect the profession and their time.
I was going to pose a similar question. We are thinking of relocating to Florida or...somewhere. We are going there for Spring break and I would like to spend time with a realtor to get to know neighborhoods. But I am not ready to pull the trigger just yet until I do that. I also don't want a permanent commitment to a realtor.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 4,680,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, there won't be an across the board answer here. You might get some volunteers or recommendations by posting in some local facebook or nextdoor groups asking for volunteers (do check them out though and make sure they're really agents!)

OR try a popular team - they may have more ability to find someone available on a given day
This is a great idea.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I give people who are in the "consideration of my city" phase two hours of my time and I won't show them homes. It is my personal policy not to take people into homes that aren't ready and willing to buy.
Good to know that such a service does exist. We are definitely not interested in being shown any homes.

Old 03-05-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Good to know that such a service does exist. We are definitely not interested in being shown any homes.
I have people ask me all the time to show them homes so "they can see what options they might have" as part of their city consideration. No way, I'm asking people to pack up kids and pets and leave their homes for that.

Old 03-05-2021, 03:28 PM

38,784 posts, read 67,126,713 times
Quote:
I have people ask me all the time to show them homes so "they can see what options they might have" as part of their city consideration. No way, I'm asking people to pack up kids and pets and leave their homes for that.
Agreed.
But, I will show vacant homes if the folks seem sincere or are a referral from a client.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:16 PM

12,414 posts, read 10,961,614 times
I would contact a local realtor in each area and tell explain at this time you are testing the waters. Do not sign anything. If they do not help you, they are a realtor you do not need. Fire their a$$ and move on to the next one.

That said, with so much online info realtors are not needed for initial online searches and initial info gathering. Zero in via online searches and personal visits.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would contact a local realtor in each area and tell explain at this time you are testing the waters. Do not sign anything. If they do not help you, they are a realtor you do not need. Fire their a$$ and move on to the next one.

That said, with so much online info realtors are not needed for initial online searches and initial info gathering. Zero in via online searches and personal visits.
I don't think it is that easy. Most agents aren't neighborhood-oriented so the OP will need to find an agent that takes the time to learn it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate