U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 06:56 PM

37,253 posts, read 64,674,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I would contact a local realtor in each area and tell explain at this time you are testing the waters. Do not sign anything. If they do not help you, they are a realtor you do not need. Fire their a$$ and move on to the next one.

That said, with so much online info realtors are not needed for initial online searches and initial info gathering. Zero in via online searches and personal visits.
A solid agent will review an agency disclosure in jurisdictions where that is required and ask the consumer to sign it.
It is mandatory in NC, and I tend to do that right up front to get it out of the way.
I can tell when people are playing if they cannot listen to that 2 minute conversation, and say, "I was told not to sign anything."
Respectful adults come prepared for an adult experience and interaction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,971,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A solid agent will review an agency disclosure in jurisdictions where that is required and ask the consumer to sign it.
It is mandatory in NC, and I tend to do that right up front to get it out of the way.
I can tell when people are playing if they cannot listen to that 2 minute conversation, and say, "I was told not to sign anything."
Respectful adults come prepared for an adult experience and interaction.
I agree. I don't mind signing anything, because if we do choose that city then I would definitely go with the realtor that took their time to show us what we were interested in.

We are way past the looking at the internet stage which many are suggesting. Have seriously narrowed down many places on our own.

Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM

2,254 posts, read 978,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Bingo! That is exactly the sort of information we are looking for. As mentioned, we have bought many homes, so are well aware of the laws etc. We are also capable of researching schools, crimes statistics etc. on our own.

I also realize how realtors are paid and their time is valuable. I have been lucky with two moves to actually have friends or friends of friends in the business, so I was sort of given that sort of tour. But I was there to purchase. The last move was back to my hometown, so not needed. This next move is to unknown areas.

I could very easily pretend to be ready to buy but I respect the profession and their time.
Listen to Silverfall, she gets it, while many realtors are thick as a concrete block and will show properties while leaving it to you to struggle through neighborhoods and areas. Steering has nothing to do with it, that’s a poor excuse for being lazy or indifferent to what a client is looking for. With your budget, a top class realtor will show you places you’ll gravitate to.

Old Today, 09:32 AM

8,809 posts, read 5,510,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Listen to Silverfall, she gets it, while many realtors are thick as a concrete block and will show properties while leaving it to you to struggle through neighborhoods and areas. Steering has nothing to do with it, that’s a poor excuse for being lazy or indifferent to what a client is looking for. With your budget, a top class realtor will show you places you’ll gravitate to.
Well now let’s be fair :-)

Clients control the criteria and the time constraints. And within hot markets with limited inventory we can only show what is actually available at that time.

This OP, I think you will agree, is doing a smart thing by investigating general areas as a separate trip... before they actually have to find a place in a very short time crunch. Not everyone has that luxury! :-)

We can share a lot of information on a whirlwind tour while looking at properties... but it’s a lot to take in and absorb in a short period of time.

Everything’s easier when there’s all kinds of time and no pressure.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

2,254 posts, read 978,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well now let’s be fair :-)

Clients control the criteria and the time constraints. And within hot markets with limited inventory we can only show what is actually available at that time.

This OP, I think you will agree, is doing a smart thing by investigating general areas as a separate trip... before they actually have to find a place in a very short time crunch. Not everyone has that luxury! :-)

We can share a lot of information on a whirlwind tour while looking at properties... but it’s a lot to take in and absorb in a short period of time.

Everything’s easier when there’s all kinds of time and no pressure.
The point is, there is a level of realtor service that most realtors never reach. Most realtors only show properties here and there, grinding to a close on something, eventually. A few realtors take it beyond that level and really understand their clients needs.

Maybe it’s talent, but reaching the top of their field is ten to twenty percent of the entire pack. It has nothing to do with how many sales, or all the free things they do and don’t get paid for, it’s going beyond the usual chop shop of realtor services and attaining a high level of business acumen, psychology and just being tuned in to their client.

With a higher budget, the OP should ask for and find the best of the best. As mentioned, there are a lot of people who have a real estate license, but very few who excel at it. In this field, it’s ironic that so many average to poor realtors are handling houses ranging from a few hundred thousand, all the way into the millions. Whatever money involved, is all on the seller or buyer and not the realtor, so it pays to do some serious searching before randomly choosing a realtor off the internet.

Last edited by Taz22; Today at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate