Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 79,677 times

Advertisements

We bought our house 6 years ago. I never paid any real attention to the county appraiser's report at the time, I just noted the amount they appraised the house for and the taxes due.

However, I've discovered that the room count is wrong on the appraisal. It says we have a 2 bedroom house, when in fact we have 3 bedrooms.

The real estate listing when we bought the house said it was 3-4 bedroom (a gameroom could be converted) We are planning on putting our house on the market soon and we were going to list it the same way. When we had a realtor out to talk to us about listing, she came to the house with a figure already in mind and was surprised to see it was a 3 BR (she had pulled the County records for her calculations) Her figure was less than we thought it should be.

Also, when we had the house appraised a couple of years ago for refinancing, we were told that the county square footage is off by about 100sf. I told the realtor about it but she said nobody pays any attention to refinancing appraisals since they are very subjective.

So, the county record is wrong on a couple of points. My question is: do I want to try and correct it?

Can the County increase my appraisal value and slap me with a bill for the difference? Will the additional bedroom & 100sf increase the value?
I know listings show price per SF and I'd like every penny I can get (who wouldn't?) but I don't want to open up a can of worms if it's going to hurt me in the end.

Should I say something or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM

175 posts, read 296,250 times
Your agent came to see your home for the first time with a figure already in mind that she culled from the Auditor's website?
I, personally, would have fired her on the spot (nicely and civilly, of course.)
She did not measure your rooms, use sale comps, or even see what kind of flooring you had, but she already had a figure she was going to list at? That's simply lazy.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
Your agent came to see your home for the first time with a figure already in mind that she culled from the Auditor's website?
I, personally, would have fired her on the spot (nicely and civilly, of course.)
She did not measure your rooms, use sale comps, or even see what kind of flooring you had, but she already had a figure she was going to list at? That's simply lazy.
You're jumping to conclusions. The OP did not say, and you don't know if comps where pulled or not. It's likely the agent reviewed the tax data to prepare for the meeting, and may have pulled similar comps to arrive at an initial pricing proposal. You'd prefer she come totally unprepared? Of course, the pricing should be updated based on new information found during the onsite visit.

Addressing the OP's concern, you would need to review your local tax appraiser's policies regarding what they may do with new information. Some may immediately make an adjustment, others may wait until the next tax valuation review cycle.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:44 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,132,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggyLuv View Post
We bought our house 6 years ago. I never paid any real attention to the county appraiser's report at the time, I just noted the amount they appraised the house for and the taxes due.

However, I've discovered that the room count is wrong on the appraisal. It says we have a 2 bedroom house, when in fact we have 3 bedrooms.

The real estate listing when we bought the house said it was 3-4 bedroom (a gameroom could be converted) We are planning on putting our house on the market soon and we were going to list it the same way. When we had a realtor out to talk to us about listing, she came to the house with a figure already in mind and was surprised to see it was a 3 BR (she had pulled the County records for her calculations) Her figure was less than we thought it should be.

Also, when we had the house appraised a couple of years ago for refinancing, we were told that the county square footage is off by about 100sf. I told the realtor about it but she said nobody pays any attention to refinancing appraisals since they are very subjective.

So, the county record is wrong on a couple of points. My question is: do I want to try and correct it?

Can the County increase my appraisal value and slap me with a bill for the difference? Will the additional bedroom & 100sf increase the value?
I know listings show price per SF and I'd like every penny I can get (who wouldn't?) but I don't want to open up a can of worms if it's going to hurt me in the end.

Should I say something or not?
No need to correct the data with the county. Not your problem that they don't have the correct stats on your house.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,541,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggyLuv View Post

Huh? In what way? An appraisal is an appraisal and should NEVER be subjective,

Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,541,867 times
Quote:

Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
You should care if the assessor has assessed your house too high because you are paying too much in property taxes. Other than that I don't think I would mess with it.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
They usually won't adjust their records unless there is a gross miscalculation. If sqft is off by 10% or more, they'll adjust. However, you don't want them to adjust anything that wouldn't be in your favor. Who cares that they only have it as a 2 bedroom home. That's not what is used when buying or selling.

As for the sqft number, in Texas, you have to use a documentable number. About 99% use the tax records for this number. If you have an appraisal showing a higher/better number, use that number and state where it came from.

YES, they can raise your value if you try to get them to make changes.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 34,608 times
I have a 3 Bedroom house but the county has it listed as a 4 Bedroom house .I purchase the home back in 2007 brand new construction ,to my surprise , I just found this out . What should I do ?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
We do preliminary research on a property and bring it to a listing appointment. It includes things like tax records and comps in the area to get an idea of what it may be worth. It's not always what we list it for once we see the house. No need to fire an agent for this. It would be more lazy to show up without having what information there is on record to show them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate