Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 11:21 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby60611 View Post
Ok first... Deep breath... The furnace. The inspector looked at the burner and said the flame indicated it wasn’t working properly. No clue what that refers to, but he said it could be a sign that a 20yo furnace is “on its last legs” (his words). How would I know that when I made the offer?

Second, the condenser looked old and rusty. We weren’t allowed to run the AC because it was too cold. The inspector said it looked like furnace and condenser were about the same age, so there was a good chance that could go soon. Again, how the heck am I supposed to know that?

Lastly, the chimney had structural and safety issues. Those needed to be fixed. The seller had just had a chimney inspector look at it prior to listing, who told him the same thing. How do I know? Well as luck would have it, that was the same chimney inspector I hired! And the seller was supposed to disclose this but didn’t, so what else didn’t he disclose??

You all are freaking crazy. If you can’t see the bad faith on the other side of the table, plus the urgency for me to “wrap up inspections and move forward or they’re going with another offer”, you’re nuts. Done trying to convince a bunch of people who are obviously not advocates for buyers.
Yes everyone is crazy except you. But then again we’re not butt hurt and whining like a ....
You didn’t get the response you wanted, why are you still coming back and arguing.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:48 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
You mean the YOU were unwilling to eat a 0.7% in "repairs"?

I know in my market, I would have not even lifted a finger for a penny, I would have ten other buyers lined up and waiting. Your first clue you had no negotiating room regarding this was "This was on an offer that was already almost 9% over listing!"

Old 03-09-2021, 11:55 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Yes I do believe the agent was putting words in the sellers mouth without consulting him. So be it. I don’t actually care. Not sure why everyone thinks I’m emotional about “losing out” on this house. I’ll find others, and I’m not hurting for habitation right now. The thing I WAS emotional about was being disrespected, and again, I’d make the same decision a thousand more times rather than carry a grudge with me. Everyone may just have to accept there are people who will act on principle and pride, and usually those people have the financial freedom to do so.
You weren't disrepected. That's what everyone is trying to tell you. If anything, you were disrepecting the seller. Frankly, I think the sellers dodged a bullet. If you offered 9% over ask, then I guarantee you that they had other buyers, who were more reasonable to boot.

And for the record, since this seems to be an issue with you, I am not and have never been a Realtor or in the real estate business in any way.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:00 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well, it depends. Since the OP gave new information about the flame of the furnace, it might be that the furnace has a cracked heat exchanger. That is dangerous if that is the case. At that point, the furnace needs to be replaced, and asking for a price drop to cover the cost of a new furnace would be appropriate, in my opinion.

Replacing a heat exchanger... Difficulty and cost depends on the model and the installation.

The OP probably should have had a qualified and licensed HVAC tech assess the equipment.
"Last legs" and "dying" are not really very good terminology.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Yes I do believe the agent was putting words in the sellers mouth without consulting him. So be it. I don’t actually care. Not sure why everyone thinks I’m emotional about “losing out” on this house. I’ll find others, and I’m not hurting for habitation right now. The thing I WAS emotional about was being disrespected, and again, I’d make the same decision a thousand more times rather than carry a grudge with me. Everyone may just have to accept there are people who will act on principle and pride, and usually those people have the financial freedom to do so.
I hope you didn't get a nosebleed, you on your high horse and all. You still think that you have principles. Ha!

If you didn't care, this thread would have died a long time ago. You keep coming back and saying it's all the agents on this website. They're all against you. They're all wrong. They have no principles.

I do agree that pride is at work here. "Pride is pleasure arising from a man's thinking too highly of himself." [Spinoza]

Old 03-09-2021, 12:38 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Where's chas? I distinctly remember getting the third degree just a few months ago because we agents were always encouraging buyers to ask for the moon on picky inspection repairs.

I guess that means it all balances out in the end.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
It makes no sense to buy a house and assume that you will not have to do any work on it. If you want a new house with a warranty, get in line to buy one. If you want a pre-owned house understand it will not be perfect and you do not get a warranty.

regardless of new or pre-owned, it is a good idea to set aside about 10% of the house purchase price to pay for work it might need. You can always set aside 10% by finding a house that is 10% cheaper.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:53 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Quote:
The inspection report had about 40 deficiencies, mostly minor, so the request related to three items and three items only: a dying furnace (20yrs old), a dying AC compressor (also 20yrs old), and some required chimney repairs per a chimney inspection. Total estimated cost was roughly $10K, of which I was willing to pick up half of it. So all in, $5K request on a $650K home purchase.
I would have told you to pound sand too. Just because a furnace and AC compressor are 20 years old doesn't mean they should be replaced as part of a home inspection. To me, that is ridiculous that you expected that. If they were working, then they're working. To expect them to be replaced because they are old probably was a clue to the homeowner that you were going to be difficult throughout the entire process.

Our HVAC systems were older than that when we bought our house, and 7 years later they are still running. "dying"....LOL

Old 03-09-2021, 12:54 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
The thing I WAS emotional about was being disrespected, and again, I’d make the same decision a thousand more times rather than carry a grudge with me. Everyone may just have to accept there are people who will act on principle and pride, and usually those people have the financial freedom to do so.

You think you were disrespected? Really I've worked for plenty of sellers who felt disrespected when buyers asked for money to repair "defects" that had been perfectly good enough for them all these years.

And their pride is no more useful a "principle" than yours.

Sometimes even when people disagree on a price or a principle, there's no bad guy. Just people, and people are nothing if not funny.

Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Yanno...
People will buy a house and spend $10,000 repainting the interior without a second thought.
But, the concept of spending half that to replace a furnace is grounds for emotional disruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate