Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 05:32 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The sellers market is not driven by Covid, at least in the south. Places like Texas Georgia the Carolinas, etc....the prices have been going up for years. Every day a new New Yorker, Californian, Chicagoan, etc relocates lol....
And Florida. Builders can't build fast enough, and inventory of existing homes is extremely low. Most homes are going under contract within a few days of listing, many being bid up in the process.

RM

Old 03-15-2021, 05:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I am a recent seller.

First, as I understand it, at least in Florida, all property is sold "as is" regardless if it is spelled out in those words in a listing or in a PASA.
Not to derail but the bolded is incorrect. The regular (non-As-Is) FAR/BAR contract that is commonly used in Florida obligates the seller to make repairs for general repair items (as they are defined in the contract) and for WDO treatment and repairs. The contract has a line to enter the percentage limit for those repairs. If left blank, the seller must make repairs for general repair items (up to 1.5% of contract price) and WDO (up to 1.5% of the contract price). The parties can agree to a credit amount in lieu of repairs.

Because of current market conditions most contracts in use are the As-Is contract or the regular contract with an As-Is rider.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Florida does have an "As-Is" contract available, but I will agree that not all property is sold "As-Is" in this state. When I was an active Realtor, we rarely used them. 1insider is absolutely correct.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Is it true about the $80K? What in the world would make a place so desirable that someone would pay $80K upfront for the opportunity to live there? It's not like Raleigh is Waikiki, for Heaven's sake. At the end of the day, you still come home to yourself, in your own home. I can do that in Kansas.

Sounds like a great money laundering scheme.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:40 AM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like a great money laundering scheme.

Then you're stuck with a house.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:50 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And Florida. Builders can't build fast enough, and inventory of existing homes is extremely low. Most homes are going under contract within a few days of listing, many being bid up in the process.

RM
This is kind of why I don't know if there's ever going to be a huge dip. Land is a finite resource. Now you may say "blasphemous, we could add millions of homes across the state and still have plenty of land!! True, I read you can fit every person in the world in Rhode Island. But with environmental regulations and the desire to be near a city, that's limiting.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:40 PM

110 posts, read 75,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Not to derail but the bolded is incorrect. The regular (non-As-Is) FAR/BAR contract that is commonly used in Florida obligates the seller to make repairs for general repair items (as they are defined in the contract) and for WDO treatment and repairs. The contract has a line to enter the percentage limit for those repairs. If left blank, the seller must make repairs for general repair items (up to 1.5% of contract price) and WDO (up to 1.5% of the contract price). The parties can agree to a credit amount in lieu of repairs.

Because of current market conditions most contracts in use are the As-Is contract or the regular contract with an As-Is rider.
Hmm, so you’re telling me that the STANDARD form of contract, not the modified form of contract, outlines a process wherein the seller is obligated to make repairs or provide a credit for those items. Wow, that doesn’t sound like everything I’ve been preaching since the inception of this thread. I wonder how many other states have similar language in their STANDARD contracts...

Old 03-15-2021, 12:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby60611 View Post
Hmm, so you’re telling me that the STANDARD form of contract, not the modified form of contract, outlines a process wherein the seller is obligated to make repairs or provide a credit for those items. Wow, that doesn’t sound like everything I’ve been preaching since the inception of this thread. I wonder how many other states have similar language in their STANDARD contracts...

Wouldn't it just result in the seller marking up their ask price by 1.5%? If they want $100k then they just make the minimum accepted be $101.5k so with the 1.5% mandatory repairs they get 100k. Plus "repair" doesn't mean "replace". Your furnace and AC were functional.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby60611 View Post
I believe 1insider mentions there are more than one STANDARD form of contract.

Sure, you can require repairs with any offer. Getting to contract with that requirement in place would be the trick.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Wouldn't it just result in the seller marking up their ask price by 1.5%? If they want $100k then they just make the minimum accepted be $101.5k so with the 1.5% mandatory repairs they get 100k. Plus "repair" doesn't mean "replace". Your furnace and AC were functional.
It also could result in a seller doing a home inspection and repairs prior to going on the market. Being proactive to avoid surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate