U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
 
1,992 posts, read 2,904,333 times
Reputation: 2112

Advertisements

Should I have one? We’ve been in contact with the individual who is at the new home development. She had taken us through models and has been back in touch with us as we were not yet ready to buy when we first started looking. In the meantime I have an agent sending me listings, including new homes, one being in this development that we had looked at. Now, if we do get serious about buying in there, is there a reason or an advantage to using the buyer agent who has been sending us listings? Do new developments usually work with someone like that? We’ve bought new in the past but that was 40+ years ago and only used the development person, no own agent. As you may guess, we haven’t moved often so this is new territory for me. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
23,351 posts, read 14,623,822 times
Reputation: 36095
From my observation, in most cases, they will not let you bring in a buyer's agent if you are already working with the builder's rep. They can justify that because the buyer's agent did not do the work to procure you as a buyer, the builder's rep is the one who established that relationship.

Having said that, I found having a buyer's agent invaluable when I bought new construction 6 years ago. There were several issues along the way that I dealt with myself that had to do with construction issues but there was also a glitch at the end that was specific to the closing process and my realtor handled all of that which was a huge relief.

My recommendation is therefore to have a buyer's agent, and you can ask the builder. They may say no, but no reason to not at least ask if you can add your agent into the deal now that you are ready to move forward
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,351 posts, read 1,701,194 times
Reputation: 8847
No reason you can't use a buyer's agent if you want to. Just understand that if the builder refuses to pay a commission to your agent you will have to compensate your agent for his/her work out of your own pocket.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
11,844 posts, read 10,112,725 times
Reputation: 17422
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Should I have one? We’ve been in contact with the individual who is at the new home development. She had taken us through models and has been back in touch with us as we were not yet ready to buy when we first started looking. In the meantime I have an agent sending me listings, including new homes, one being in this development that we had looked at. Now, if we do get serious about buying in there, is there a reason or an advantage to using the buyer agent who has been sending us listings? Do new developments usually work with someone like that? We’ve bought new in the past but that was 40+ years ago and only used the development person, no own agent. As you may guess, we haven’t moved often so this is new territory for me. Thanks.
Did the developers agent have you sign anything? Typical what they ask you to sign will say you have an agent or you are letting them act as your agent in this development.

My last two buys were new construction in a development and I felt no need for a buyers agent. I did have my lawyer look over things though. His reply was it was typical developer stuff. He might have crossed a line or two out but then he told me to sign.

Consider hiring a home inspector to have walk throughs with you at various stages of construction. Tell them there is no need for a written report, just inform me of things to raise to the builder. There will be a site construction manager. Make him your new best friend. Small gifts encouraged. A bottle of Crown Royal goes a long, long way.

My experience is builders do not want to negotiate on base price but there is a lot of wiggle room in options. I say go for the options from the get go and negotiate like hell on those options..

Last edited by johngolf; Today at 01:19 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:42 PM
 
Location: OC
8,595 posts, read 4,921,209 times
Reputation: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
No reason you can't use a buyer's agent if you want to. Just understand that if the builder refuses to pay a commission to your agent you will have to compensate your agent for his/her work out of your own pocket.
What?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:46 PM
 
Location: OC
8,595 posts, read 4,921,209 times
Reputation: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Did the developers agent have you sign anything? Typical what they ask you to sign will say you have an agent or you are letting them act as your agent in this development.

My last two buys were new construction in a development and I felt no need for a buyers agent. I did have my lawyer look over things though. His reply was it was typical developer stuff. He might have crossed a line or two out but then he told me to sign.

Consider hiring a home inspector to have walk throughs with you at various stages of construction. Tell them there is no need for a written report, just inform me of things to raise to the builder. There will be a site construction manager. Make him your new best friend. Small gifts encouraged. A bottle of Crown Royal goes a long, long way.

My experience is builders do not want to negotiate on base price but there is a lot of wiggle room in options. I say go for the options from the get go and negotiate like hell on those options..
I find this to be true. I did loop my agent in, but she compensated me. In hindsight, was she needed? Not really.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top