Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 09:55 AM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
So, there you have it: Leave it "decorated" with all your stuff, or put your things away so people are looking at the house?

Let the discussion begin !
In a hot real estate market -- when sellers are getting offers within hours of posting the listing -- I don't think you have to worry about whether or not to minimalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 09:57 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
KA, your current house is gorgeous -- I am not surprised that you already have an offer coming in!

Could you re-post the link to the house you're buying (since you already inadvertently posted it)? Would love to see it. And if you have no room for the UK wall hanging at your new place (the one I drooled over when you posted pictures of your last house's kitchen, LOL), I would love to buy it from you! I have been looking for it (or something similar) for years now as I'd like to hang it as a tribute to my British mom, but no luck. (I realize you probably want to keep it or maybe one of your kids would want it, but I figured I'd ask!)

When's your expected closing on your new place? Will you be trying to do both closings the same day, or will the current owner of your soon-to-be house move out so you have a bit of time to move your stuff? I wish you smooth sailings with everything, although I know this move must be bittersweet.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I got a full price offer but it was contingent and their house is not under contract and I don't know a thing about it, so my realtor told their realtor to regroup and try to come back with an offer that's not contingent. I mean, I would do one if their house is already under contract but otherwise, I'm not desperate yet.

Forget about "contingent" offers. They are a dime a dozen. I too will buy your house if i win the lottery. Where do i sign? I had one person tell me they would buy my house if they sold their house...but it wasn't listed, and they couldn't list it until they put a new roof on. What's that worth to me? Absolutely ZERO.

I wasn't trying to get into an argument over your doodads and such. The house shows very nicely. I was just initiating conversation from those realtors who tell you to "strip it of everything personal" before you show it. I don't have a dog in that race whatsoever.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:11 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Just listed my house a few hours ago and I've already had several showings, an offer is coming in (so we'll see about that) and I am about to let another showing happen! The more the merrier!

[Mod edit: link removed for privacy]
Congrats, wishing you a quick sale! Your house is beautiful, I really enjoyed seeing your living room, it looks very inviting, with pleasing colors. I’d bet your house won’t be on the market long.

Last edited by elnina; 03-11-2021 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-11-2021, 10:11 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
a full price offer within 24 hours. the weekend is coming. won't it be interesting to see what other buyers are willing to offer?

good luck with the sale of your home, kathryn!

Old 03-11-2021, 10:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
KA, your current house is gorgeous -- I am not surprised that you already have an offer coming in!

Could you re-post the link to the house you're buying (since you already inadvertently posted it)? Would love to see it. And if you have no room for the UK wall hanging at your new place (the one I drooled over when you posted pictures of your last house's kitchen, LOL), I would love to buy it from you! I have been looking for it (or something similar) for years now as I'd like to hang it as a tribute to my British mom, but no luck. (I realize you probably want to keep it or maybe one of your kids would want it, but I figured I'd ask!)

When's your expected closing on your new place? Will you be trying to do both closings the same day, or will the current owner of your soon-to-be house move out so you have a bit of time to move your stuff? I wish you smooth sailings with everything, although I know this move must be bittersweet.
I will send you a message!!!!! And I am so sorry, but I have the perfect place for that UK wall hanging in my new house. SO, SO SORRY!!!!

I am going to close on March 31!!!!! However, the seller is moving out of the country and is really, really trying to get cleaned out by the closing date, but she's a friend of mine and I gave her till May 1, so another month, basically.

You are so right, this is a very bittersweet move, but it needs to be done and at least I am moving to a nice house. The listing I will send you is from 7 years ago when the current seller was buying it, so the price has gone up and the furnishings have changed, but fundamentally it's the same.

Thank you so much for all your kind words!

Old 03-11-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Forget about "contingent" offers. They are a dime a dozen. I too will buy your house if i win the lottery. Where do i sign? I had one person tell me they would buy my house if they sold their house...but it wasn't listed, and they couldn't list it until they put a new roof on. What's that worth to me? Absolutely ZERO.

I wasn't trying to get into an argument over your doodads and such. The house shows very nicely. I was just initiating conversation from those realtors who tell you to "strip it of everything personal" before you show it. I don't have a dog in that race whatsoever.
Oh I know and thank you for opening up that conversation. I had mixed feelings about the photographs but then I thought "What the heck, I like the realtor, I'll let her make the call."

I agree totally about the contingency. I have no idea about their house, but they can either regroup and try some other form of financing, or they can get back with me once their house is under contract and preferably past the option period and inspections.

Meanwhile, the listing is "live," and I have more showings scheduled. So yay!

Old 03-11-2021, 10:27 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
Quote:
My realtor knows I plan to move out before closing. In fact, she knows that I will start packing things up soon. She specifically wanted the professional photos done before I took my furniture and doodads out of the house so I said, "Well, OK." I mean, I didn't know. And I am NOT a minimalist in any sense of the word, as you can tell!

She said, "Your house shows so well with your things in it." I guess that's fine by me because I am not ready to move quite yet and it's got to show with me still living in it!

I mean, what would I do with my stuff? I am not going to move twice, and store things in storage, and all that jive. The house I'm buying is still owned by the buyer who is still living there too. I don't want to mix up my things with hers anyway, even though I know and like her.

People will just have to use their imaginations, I guess.
If you want to sell fast and are getting ready to move anyway, I would suggest packing doo-dads and personal stuff up and put in boxes in the garage. That way people can actually use their imaginations to visualize themselves in the space.

Good luck with the move and starting anew.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you want to sell fast and are getting ready to move anyway, I would suggest packing doo-dads and personal stuff up and put in boxes in the garage. That way people can actually use their imaginations to visualize themselves in the space.

Good luck with the move and starting anew.
Oh I am still going through cabinets and closets and all that. And the GARAGE! But I will get to the doodads. Meanwhile, people will just have to deal with it, I guess.

I'm not moving for another month or so.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
How sad I remember how y'all were so excited about that house. It looks very nice. I just have a love of traditional homes.

I do understand why you must sell. Good luck with your new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate