Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 10:33 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

I’ve been a Landlord for 30+ years. But in my retirement, and physical move away from where my rentals are located, my adult son is now my property manager. For the past 4 years, I do the back office stuff and he does “hands on” and is the Face of our business for tenants. Every time we have tenant turnover, I send him various checklists to remind him. And, since I was a career Human Resources person, I have a “tenant orientation” list for him to follow. He conducts the orientation and lease signing at move in. It takes about an hour.

Here’s our list (our houses are “starter” single family homes or townhouses and many/most tenants come from apartments) Any additions?

Misc:
*As applicable, show mailbox at mail kiosk. Show Community pool, as applicable. Reinforce not losing mailbox or community pool keys.
*reminder to keep fence gates bolted/caribeeners or locks on
*reminder all dog droppings immediately picked up
*After they are in the house a couple of weeks, we will send them a checklist so they can note anything wrong with the house
*how to open and close fireplace flue
*provide exterior key box code or garage door box code. Change code to something like tenant’s last phone digits. Remind to always leave keys in keybox.

Kitchen:
*How to use all appliances
*Discuss not slamming down pots on stove top if glass, keeping clean
*Remind to always run faucet & clear garbage disposal before running dishwasher

Plumbing:
*Check washer hookups very carefully to ensure no leaks
*(if laundry included)remind not to overload washer/dryer and not to allow friends to do laundry at their place.
*Remind to let you know if any leaks; leaks can cause much damage
*If the water flow at any bathroom faucets seem weak, unscrew faucet filter and clear out - minerals in water sometimes leave residue that clogs them

Electrical:
*Show where breaker box is (often backyard outside) and practice opening and closing with them. If they fail to close properly, weather can short out the box. I hate they are outside. Box door needs to lift and slide in to close
*Show how to pop a GFCI switch back in place. Explain that if all breakers are ok and power is lost at a switch, its a GFCI somewhere on the circuit that’s popped
*Explain exterior lights — maybe put tape on hall switch to keep exterior motion light active.
*Most outdoor lights are dawn to dusk, tell tenant to keep switch on. We will send new bulbs if needed
*Show thermostat — replace batteries if needed —

Garage:
*Demonstrate how garage door opener light beams have to align. If the door isn’t working correctly, likely they have knocked the beams out of alignment.
*Show how to increase or decrease temperature on hot water heater

HVAC:
*Show how to change furnace filter, remind to change at least every 90 days - 30 days if there are pets
*Note filter size and supply — order more if needed

Exterior:
*Explain sprinkler system and importance of keeping foundation watered any time it hasn’t rained in a week

*As applicable, show back gate to alley and they need to keep weeds mowed or cut back there behind fence about once a month in summer.

* Remind to never place items outside back gate. No items or trash outside unless on trash day.

*Don’t let vines grow on house or fencing because it invites insect nests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 11:07 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Do your tenants sign off on the list? Having the list noted in the lease with copies attached might come in handy for a small court claims case.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Do your tenants sign off on the list? Having the list noted in the lease with copies attached might come in handy for a small court claims case.
Great idea!

Old 03-13-2021, 12:14 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
If the applicants doesn't sign off on the list before move-in it's often a problem. Such a list needs to be included with the lease agreement. I have applicants sign an addendum. Here are some stipulations:

Tenant agrees to follow HOA rules and regulations. The Tenant has received a copy of rules and regulations.

Vehicles leaking oil or gasoline need to be removed from the Premises.

Tenant understands they are responsible for the routine maintenance of the front/back yard. Weeds must be removed.

Tenant is responsible for all normal pest control and bed bugs.

Washer/Dryer are personal property and provided as a courtesy. No repair/no replace.

Best to sure there are no misunderstandings and everything is spelled out.

If I am unsure I ask an RE attorney to ensure my rules are in line with the local Landlord/Tenant act.

Last edited by john3232; 03-13-2021 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
If the applicants doesn't sign off on the list before move-in it's often a problem. Such a list needs to be included with the lease agreement. I have applicants sign an addendum. Here are some stipulations:

Tenant agrees to follow HOA rules and regulations. The Tenant has received a copy of rules and regulations.

Vehicles leaking oil or gasoline need to be removed from the Premises.

Tenant understands they are responsible for the routine maintenance of the front/back yard. Weeds must be removed.

Tenant is responsible for all normal pest control and bed bugs.

Washer/Dryer are personal property and provided as a courtesy. No repair/no replace.

Best to sure there are no misunderstandings and everything is spelled out.

If I am unsure I ask an RE attorney to ensure my rules are in line with the local Landlord/Tenant act.
We have all those in our lease except for the pest control statement. I am adding. Thanks. We also indicate any oil drips must be cleaned, the max amount of vehicles allowed on the driveway, and they must be licensed and in running order and no cars stored on the driveway under tarps.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:30 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We have all those in our lease except for the pest control statement. I am adding. Thanks. We also indicate any oil drips must be cleaned, the max amount of vehicles allowed on the driveway, and they must be licensed and in running order and no cars stored on the driveway under tarps.
That's good. I'm going borrow it if you don't mind.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:23 PM

862 posts, read 439,953 times
Make sure they know where the sewer clean out is and how to shut the water off to the house. Also make sure they know what a shut off valve is and how to use it at every water source.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:15 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
WorldKlas, in all my years of renting in both complexes and with private owners, I've never seen such a comprehensive list. Well done!

Old 03-18-2021, 10:13 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Mine is an email saying the keys are with the building attendant, lol.

Ok, not so simple, I have a check sheet they must fill out, sign, and give to me within three days of moving in, it is basically condition of the condo check sheet. I also encourage them to take pics and video and submit showing the condition upon move in.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
After applicants pass screening we have meeting @ the property for a Lease Signing. All occupants & pets must attend! I give a reference copy of the lease beforehand once they're approved to review/revise for any possible modifications @ the Lease Signing.

I tell everyone that the lease isn't to be taken literally, much of it is so I'll have something in writing that I can enforce only if a serious problem develops. I try to give people some wiggle-room in between the written-in-stone language of the lease, and most people meet me on that level of co-operation. I like to operate with transparency and open-ness rather than a hard-line "tenants are the enemy" mindset.

The lease is apprx 3 pages and covers:
-Lease Terms
-Deposits & Deposit Receipt
-Payment Methods & Procedures
-Late Fees - Notice to Pay or Quit
-Handling of Deposit Funds
-My city (Seattle Metro) requires that I provide misc documents that outline tenants rights and contact info for the city's housing authority and tenant union, basic FAQ's on LL/Tenant law, and the standard Lead Paint Disclosure docs.
-Handouts for any extras such as pet agreement, roommate agreement, extra parking, etc.
-Occupants (authorized/unauthorized, additional adults must be screened for criminal)
-Vehicles (parking, must be currently licensed, tabbed & operable, no storage of boats or other gear without written permission)
-Drain Stoppage Policy (if repairs are needed and the plumber determines it was tenant caused, it's on them)
-Insurance Considerations (dangerous activity prohibited on property - no fireworks or motocross in the backyard)
-Notice to Vacate (instructions on terminating the lease)

Those are the basic topics. I try to answer all questions as honestly and openly as possible, I see it as a way to establish trust & credibility as a LL, it also shows them I know what I'm doing and am capable of effective action if anyone gets "cute".

At the Lease Signing, everybody has their copy and I go over all 3 pages, item-by-item. I conclude each section with "If anyone has any objections, NOW is the time". I make sure everyone is in clear agreement before moving to the next section.

Once the terms & conditions are agreed upon and the lease is signed, we then together do a Condition & Inventory Check Sheet that notes any defects and inventories any appliances or other items that go with the property. Everyone gets a copy, signed by both LL & Tenant.

I give 'em a set of keys and we're off. Orientation adjourned.

Last edited by tommy64; 03-19-2021 at 12:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate