U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:47 AM

16,619 posts, read 25,212,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
Update. Inspection was performed last weekend. Multiple issues were bought up. Including a couple of significant ones, some of which I was aware (an HVAC system on its last legs) some of which I was not (evidence of foundation movement). However, after getting some quotes, I am moving ahead. The market in the town where I am moving to has finally started to catch up with the rest of the country. So I am feeling lucky I found this house. I think if the seller had done all the little odd jobs, gussied up the interior, and then used a realtor to list that their house would have gotten multiple offers well above their listing price even with the less desirable floor plan and inspection related issues.

I still have to get my house through inspection. However, I got 10+ offers on mine, so if the buyers are difficult I have the luxury of telling them I’ll move onto another buyer. But, right now I’m super glad I took the risk of buying a house from a divorced couple. And, given the rapid rise in market prices, I do think that I got the house for a good price. Here is hoping I feel the same way in a few months once I get past closing and moving.

I did also find out that the sellers wanted my realtor to waive her commission or reduce down to 1% (they are paying the buyers commission). Basically, they wanted my realtor to work for free. And at this point even though my realtor isn’t their realtor, she’s de facto serving in that role because they are FSBO and have zero clue what they are doing. My realtor has been amazing, and so other than referrals, I’d love suggestions of something I can give her at the end of all this!

For your agent, I'm sure a gasoline card would be appreciated even though they write off gas on taxes. I'll let the agents suggest what's appropriate because I wouldn't know unless I saw her buying coffee and donuts from a local shop or convenience store, then I'd get a gift card there. Things like wine or alcohol are usually typical gifts they may not even use unless you know they're a big drinker.

In my opinion after working with agents as a seller, they like when I give them a great review on every real estate site that allows reviews which will give them more business. They tell me how much they appreciated my review. I try to do it for any business that I use, especially smaller companies like an appliance repair place I found many years ago. It used to be only the owner, he now has a few employees. A lot of my development uses him too because of his reasonable prices.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you decided to hang in there. Hopefully the couple doesn't get wind of prices going up and feel you got it too cheap then some how kills the deal for you. It isn't over until you can get into your house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

342 posts, read 330,369 times
To close the story in case anyone is searching on this topic in the future. I did the final walk through yesterday and all the wife stuff was out. The house was pretty much empty, it just had the ex-husbands stuff around. We sign the closing paperwork tomorrow.

What I will say, is that I think in the end the wife got the bad rap, when I think the ex-husband may have been a bigger issue. Yes, the wife was stubborn about selling, but after the inspection window and it sunk in that everything was moving forward, she was actually excellent. She left the house super clean. The ex-husband is busy making a mess now, but treated the house with care. I also heard that she basically held a yard sale and gave away all their “joint” furniture.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

3,484 posts, read 1,287,375 times
Are you back renting the house to the "wasband?" It's not unusual to do this, now-a-days. His stuff should have been out of there prior to final.
Make sure that personal property is GONE, before tomorrow. (Unless, like I said earlier, he's renting it back from you, for a while.)

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

342 posts, read 330,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Are you back renting the house to the "wasband?" It's not unusual to do this, now-a-days. His stuff should have been out of there prior to final.
Make sure that personal property is GONE, before tomorrow. (Unless, like I said earlier, he's renting it back from you, for a while.)
No. He moved out more than a year ago. He just has a few things (a futon, chair, some personal items) left, and he’s been told that anything is left must be out by closing. Honestly, anything left in the house isn’t too big a deal for me to get rid of if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate