Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 11:25 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
It’s a more a factor of being in a small town than a super hot market. Don’t get me wrong it’s definitely a sellers market, but, the lack of inventory with my specs is more due to the fact that it’s a small town. There are houses that have been on the market for months (with three on th embarked for over a year), which is something that I don’t see where I currently live. But, lack of inventory is lack of inventory. No matter the reason.

However, I like thinking of this as figuring out what is stressing them out the most and seeing how I can mitigate those problems. I like that approach.
I live in an area where there are no houses on the market. We get letters and post cards from realtors weekly begging people in the neighborhood to sell their house.....where are we going to go? There's zero new construction here unless you can find land (which is almost impossible unless you can afford 50+ acre lots for millions) to build your own house. This is an agricultural and tourist area so there's pockets of homes and then pockets of nothing but farmland. Sure there is farmland for sale but as I said it's going for millions. Many of the owners want those out of towners with their fat checkbooks to buy the land so they can cash in. We've had farms here for sale for a decade without any interest. Then Covid happened. A place that didn't have houses available has even less now. People from big cities are paying well over list price to ensure they get the house. It's gotten pretty nuts. There's a town where they couldn't give a house away for $600K in 2019. It hit the market last summer for $749 and sold for $817 after a bidding war. It's gotten NUTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:55 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

Divorces can decimate people's personal finances and so the key to getting these difficult situations negotiated out is to understand what is stressing them out the most and then solve those problems.

IMO tho...a good realtor wouldn't pass on your personal information or talk about your “decimated finances” because it may bring lower offers for your home. Why would the sellers even share that information with their realtor? It makes no sense to me. So...the ppl either want to sell their home or they don’t. It wouldn’t be worth it IMO....O.P. said she couldn’t even get a showing over the he said she said stuff.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:41 PM

347 posts, read 426,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO tho...a good realtor wouldn't pass on your personal information or talk about your “decimated finances” because it may bring lower offers for your home. Why would the sellers even share that information with their realtor? It makes no sense to me. So...the ppl either want to sell their home or they don’t. It wouldn’t be worth it IMO....O.P. said she couldn’t even get a showing over the he said she said stuff.
I think one of the benefits of having an amicable divorce/separation (or at lease one where you are on the same page when it comes to selling of a house) is that you can’t keep your cards close to your chest.

But, I find many realtors are often good at establishing a good rapport with their clients and so many clients over share. I’m sure many couples going through a divorce also use their realtor at times (much like their divorce lawyer) as a therapist to a degree.

My philosophy is my realtor isn’t my friend. I share information with her because she either needs to know or because I know it will be helpful to me. I don’t share information that is not relevant and will not benefit me, because I know everything I share will likely be shared with other realtors. Although, I say that because one of my neighbors is a realtor and he’s the biggest gossip in the neighborhood.

However, with that said, more times than not the “as-is” sales, the sales where the sellers can’t take less than “x” are couples who are divorcing, and telling buyers that the couple is getting a divorce is a quick way of allowing the buyer to understand that complexities of what the sellers are managing. The same way that a realtor may share that the sellers can’t take a lower offer because they owe the bank more money.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:31 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
I think one of the benefits of having an amicable divorce/separation (or at lease one where you are on the same page when it comes to selling of a house) is that you can’t keep your cards close to your chest.

But, I find many realtors are often good at establishing a good rapport with their clients and so many clients over share. I’m sure many couples going through a divorce also use their realtor at times (much like their divorce lawyer) as a therapist to a degree.

BUT.....the realtor was sharing all their personal stuff with you & probably other buyers. Totally unprofessional & makes the property look less desirable IMO. When my ex & I were in the process of our divorce & selling our house, appointment scheduling for showings came online with a text...so either 1 of us could ok an appt. If we declined, there was no explanation why....but if you want to sell your house, you have to show your house ofc. It’s common sense. AND if one person is dragging their feet, they need to talk to a therapist or a lawyer...not to their realtor IMO. It totally would make make me wonder what other ways they will try to destroy or discourage any interest in the home.

O.P...Did you ever get a showing...or are you still interested in it?

Old 03-22-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
BUT.....the realtor was sharing all their personal stuff with you & probably other buyers. Totally unprofessional & makes the property look less desirable IMO. When my ex & I were in the process of our divorce & selling our house, appointment scheduling for showings came online with a text...so either 1 of us could ok an appt. If we declined, there was no explanation why....but if you want to sell your house, you have to show your house ofc. It’s common sense. AND if one person is dragging their feet, they need to talk to a therapist or a lawyer...not to their realtor IMO. It totally would make make me wonder what other ways they will try to destroy or discourage any interest in the home.

O.P...Did you ever get a showing...or are you still interested in it?
The issue is it’s currently a FSBO and they volunteered the information to my realtor. Of us involved I am the only person who has a signed agreement with my realtor.

In terms of the house I got a showing this afternoon. It has a few issues (needs new carpet, it has a lot of handy person type jobs), but the unfixable things are none issues. The house is pretty perfect for me. So I’m going to make an offer and keep my fingers crossed.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:49 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,850,706 times
You might want to keep looking while you wait to see if your offer will be accepted. Then if it's not you might have found another house you like or at least eliminated a few others. I hope it all goes well for you, tho.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:11 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,644 times
Yikes. While you hope this works out for you, I hope you are actively, persistently still looking.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:54 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It was as our local market had already bottomed and started to rise so it must have been more like 7-8 years ago. 2013-2014

They had other offers before ours, but people backed away during initial negotiations because of their antics. In our recession, great homes in great neighborhoods, which this was, sold well.
Has the craziness in Portland spilled over to you or affected even the Portland market?

We outsiders see the violence and have to wonder why anyone would move to a state that will not enforce it's own laws.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwing View Post
Yikes. While you hope this works out for you, I hope you are actively, persistently still looking.
Oh, I’m definitely going to keep looking. But, with only 1-3 properties coming on the market a month that fit my general criteria, I would be silly to potentially pass up a great fit because of the sellers personal situation. And I take it as a good sign that the wife allowed the showing, wasn’t present for it, and had clearly tried to clean and tidy up before I showed up (it wasn’t prepped the way a realtor would like, but it was clean and generally clutter free).

Old 03-23-2021, 06:51 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Oh, I’m definitely going to keep looking. But, with only 1-3 properties coming on the market a month that fit my general criteria, I would be silly to potentially pass up a great fit because of the sellers personal situation. And I take it as a good sign that the wife allowed the showing, wasn’t present for it, and had clearly tried to clean and tidy up before I showed up (it wasn’t prepped the way a realtor would like, but it was clean and generally clutter free).

Were you able to make an offer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate